• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Does commodity pricing come up daily on the ranch?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

hypocritexposer

Reaction score
Just wondering if commodity pricing/market reports and those things that affect the markets, is something ranchers/farmers check daily?

Yes as well as industry governance and world weather and government governance and discussion on all the factors that effect the agriculture industry here and elsewhere. The market report doubles as my alarm clock.

I'd say any SAVVY Rancher worth a salt pays attention to the markets and factors affecting daily.

Of course some people are satisfied with a daily dose of "Blame it on Bush" if it is bad news. And Obla-bla-bla is the messiah if it is good news.

To each his own, I suppose.

that's what I thought Per. In these times, with everything moving so quickly, I would think that this type of information would come up daily.

Interestingly with all the available information and even some backroom confidential info it is hard to listen to the indicators. Back in the late seventies my uncle sat at my kitchen table and banged his fist on the table saying gold is a buy. I can't remember exactly but it sticks in my mind it was $83 oz. I certainly didn't act on good information like I should have. I also remember touting oil as a buy at $11. Instead I bought instruments that were tied to the price of oil. They timed out before the meteoric rise. In the late eighties we had a day trader (minute trader) in our office. I learned from him that taking a long term position on both stocks and commodities was more to my intellectual capacity. You sure could be rich then poor in a hurry minute trading. Multiple margin calls in a day can stress a guy out. Now I hold longer term positions and seldom sell short as a speculation. It seems I am a bit of a bricks and mortar type personality.

yes, checking the markets is a daily ritual for me too. i get a text msg with the closing markets, as well as try to listen to the radio throughout the day to hear commentary. i also use the ranchers.net markets section for info. as volatile as things are, it seems necessary to stay on top of things. i'm a young producer and i don't have deep enough pockets no to.

speaking of "good buys"...i thought selling 119 november feeders on the board was good a couple months ago too...i think i'll stick to options from here on out! following the markets ang knowing what they will do really are two different things.

Last thing at night I check, first thing in the morning and all through the day I check. Also keep a check on the imput side and keep up with the news that's moves either one.

I listen to markets daily, but feel markets have no credibility. Because we now have a world market forum, day traders and speculators are highly disruptive. Ron Paul is trying to find out just how far our govt. is in the red and guesses it's somewhere between 16 and 60 trillion. If our dollar is that worthless, just what are cattle worth on the world market? Do packers quote world prices ,or since most of them are owned by foreign owners do they quote US prices and sell on a world market? What would happen if our dollar was so worthless that all the day traders and speculators actually took delivery. If our markets are not equipt to deliver on the futures how can it be a market?

Latest posts