• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Does Hemp Grow Wild on Your Ranch?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ScottVal

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new around here. I own a small ranch in Kansas, about 40 acres. I don't actually work the land myself, but rent the land out to a local rancher.

A couple years ago, my renter said he saw some cannabis plants growing in the pasture, and told me where they were. I found the plants and cut them down, and left them to rot. Dozens of plants. I checked again a year later and the plants were back, so I cut the plants down again. Just as many plants as before, if not more. I went back a month later and sprayed what was left with Roundup. I wondered, who planted cannabis in my pasture?

My renter sub-leased the land to a friend of mine. So I decided to ask my friend what he thought of the cannabis situation. He said, "aw, don't worry about it. It's just hemp. It grows wild near streams and brooks around here."

I thought this was funny, and wanted to tell ya'll this story. Thanks.
-Scott V.

Back years ago the government actually planted hemp along stream beds for the Indians to use for making rope. it grows wild all over the midwest.
Not good for smoking, nothing in it.

Commonly known here as ditchweed. Can be found in lots of places, and can grow over 10-12 feet tall....and STINKS when you mow it.

"Sunn Hemp" makes excellent grazing and hay.

According to research conducted at Auburn University, the leaves are 4-5 % N = 25-30 % Protein, 22-28 % NDF, 22-27 % ADF. The stems are 1.3-1.7 N = 8-10 % Protein and 74-76 % NDF, 64-65 % ADF. Presently Sunn Hemp is being grown for a cover crop, forage for grazing, hay, and silage in the U.S. and other countries. Sunn Hemp's claim to fame is that in 60 days from planting it typically is 6 feet tall and produces 120 pounds of Nitrogen (N), 20 pounds of Phosphorus, 80 pounds of Potash and 4 tons of organic matter, plus suppresses nematodes and weeds. Cultural Practices: Seeding rate = 15-20 pounds/acre planted 1/2-1 inch deep or drilled in. Sunn Hemp will grow on poor soil with a pH of from 5-7.5. It will not need an inoculant or Nitrogen fertilizer. It is very drought tolerant. Planting Time: Any time after danger of last frost in spring and will die in fall at 28 degrees. It is day-length sensitive. In southern Alabama, August 25 is last day for plants to grow 6 feet tall. Plantings after this will not grow as tall or produce as much N.

it can take over a place in a few years, tordon/banvil/ 24d blend will knock the heck out of it....

pick it, take it to Colorado and sell it... wont do them any good, but you will make out like a bandit !!

I wonder' how they process hemp into fabrics. I bought some a few years ago, and it is a great natural fiber. Quite a bit like a silk or linen in a course weave fabric which I bought. I made a shirt from it, and it ,wore' a lot like a silk fabric, too. Very comfortable for the way it allows air to move through it, seeming warm when that was needed, yet cool when that was what was needed. And washed beautifully. I've not been sewing much in a few years, but would be very tempted if I saw some of that fabric.

I believe there are industrial type uses for it, too. Seems ridiculous to deny good uses for it on the basis of the name and fears of people trying to use it as a recreational drug when it appears beneficial in many ways, and not apparently useful for illegal things.

mrj

Good cloth, better paper at a much cheaper price can be made from hemp. Think we'll see it anytime soon? No. The big paper companies have a $Billions invested in paper plants and property. The price of rural property in the south would plummet due to the vast amount of pulpwood harvested. Timber/pulpwood land is going for around $1,200.00 - $1,500.00 per acre around here.

Latest posts