• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Doesn't Look Like its Over

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Today 5/25/2005 7:47:00 AM

Cattle Alert: LMA Official Issues Checkoff Vote Challenge

KANSAS CITY (Dow Jones)--After the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Beef Promotion and Research Program, commonly called the checkoff, is constitutional under the First Amendment, the Livestock Marketing Association's director of information Tuesday challenged the Cattlemen's Beef Promotion and Research Board to bring the program up for a referendum.

The Cattlemen's Beef Board claims a 73% approval rating among cattle producers surveyed for the program. Therefore, allowing the program to be brought up for a vote "ought to be a slam-dunk," the director, John McBride, said. Instead, the LMA, which was pushing for a referendum when the constitutionality issue came up in 2004, has seen no indication that the directors would seek a vote.

But having a referendum isn't as simple as having the 108 board members approve it, said Monte Reese, CEO of the CBB, which administers the funds for the national program.

The 1985 law authorizing the checkoff provided for a referendum only when 10% of cattle producers sign a petition seeking it, Reese said.

The law does not state how quickly those signatures must be collected, but in 1998, the U.S. Department of Agriculture gave the LMA a year to collect about 117,000 signatures from producers for just such a vote. The catch was that those signing the petitions had to prove they were minimally involved in cattle production.

Even though the LMA submitted more signatures than required, PriceWaterhouse Coopers, the firm designated by the USDA to verify the signatures, said there weren't enough qualified signatures gathered within the required period to call a vote. Dan Glickman, who was the Secretary of Agriculture at the time, said he felt he could not call for a referendum.

The CBB maintained at the time that a referendum would be expensive, costing millions of dollars in funds that could be used to promote beef and to research ways to increase beef demand, McBride said. Instead, the CBB has resorted to semi-annual surveys of a random list of producers to gauge program support.

Reese said some changes in the way the checkoff program operates could be done with a simple mail-in ballot, but since the law specified that 10% need to sign a petition seeking the vote, this couldn't be done with mail-in ballots. A group like the LMA would have to gather those signatures.

"I know the LMA would disagree with me on this, but I don't believe the Operating Committee (which approves the national promotion and research programs) or the Beef Board has fought it (a referendum) in the past," Reese said.

Some have called for the law to be changed inserting a requirement for a periodic referendum, and on this point, the two agreed that the CBB could not lobby for such a change because the CBB, by law, can't lobby.

Reese said that at one point in the late 1990s, the CBB responded to survey requests and asked the National Cattlemen's Beef Association and others to explore petitioning Congress for a change in the law that would require donations to the checkoff from packers, since by selling the meat, they effectively sell the cattle and benefit from promotional efforts.

But the idea was never pursued aggressively because cattlemen didn't want packer representatives sitting on the CBB's Board of Directors, said Chandler Keys, who was the NCBA's chief lobbiest at the time. Cattlemen wanted to chart their own course, he said.

Whether the LMA will take up the mantle and lead a renewed fight for a checkoff referendum is something the board of directors will have to decide, McBride said. The next time it can come up is at the annual meeting in mid-June in Tulsa, Okla.

Trade sources, though, said it was unlikely the LMA would choose not to pursue the matter in some form.

I thought the court system was the best place to decide these sort of things. You know that unbiased opinion and all.

Oldtimer said:
Today 5/25/2005 7:47:00 AM

Cattle Alert: LMA Official Issues Checkoff Vote Challenge

KANSAS CITY (Dow Jones)--After the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Beef Promotion and Research Program, commonly called the checkoff, is constitutional under the First Amendment, the Livestock Marketing Association's director of information Tuesday challenged the Cattlemen's Beef Promotion and Research Board to bring the program up for a referendum.

Response...It is over OT, these folks had there day in the Supreme Court and lost just as surely as they did when they failed trying to secure the 10% producer signatures required for a referendum. The call for a referendum is wishful thinking and demagoguery on their part. It will not sell the second time around. Why would any sane person believe they, the vast majority who support the checkoff, would call for a referendum now? They just had the highest court in the land validate the Beef Checkoff.

agman said:
Response...It is over OT, these folks had there day in the Supreme Court and lost just as surely as they did when they failed trying to secure the 10% producer signatures required for a referendum. The call for a referendum is wishful thinking and demagoguery on their part. It will not sell the second time around. Why would any sane person believe they, the vast majority who support the checkoff, would call for a referendum now? They just had the highest court in the land validate the Beef Checkoff.

It appears as tho there may be some opposition and the publicity of the trials have definitely created more awareness...I'll bet you see another petition drive for a vote........

AOL Talk poll if you agree with Supreme Court Decision:

Yes 90 (38%)
No 145 (60%)
Not Sure 5 (2%)

Oldtimer said:
agman said:
It appears as tho there may be some opposition and the publicity of the trials have definitely created more awareness...I'll bet you see another petition drive for a vote........

Yes 90 (38%)
No 145 (60%)
Not Sure 5 (2%)

The one strength of those opposed to the Checkoff is their passion and dedication even in error. As such I am willing to bet which side responded to the survey. Just as most surveys, this one is useless.

The vast majority in the beef business support the checkoff, 70%+. Subtract those who opposed it who were highly misinformed and you have but a handfull standing alone who will constantly complain no matter what the condition.

Yes 90 (38%)
No 145 (60%)
Not Sure 5 (2%)

and if we know you at all OT, I'd say you let all your R-calf buddies know about this poll and had them vote the "proper" way, just so you could post the results on Ranchers.

Latest posts