• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

dog with ticks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ksvdberg

Reaction score
Hi,
I have questions about my beagle stud with ticks and the prevention treatments available.
The story.... I have always used tick treatment on my dogs in the spring and summer months. This year the ticks came out early (noticed the first tick on Copper in early February, since them he has been continuously mauled by the nasty things). My solution was to take him to the vet to help me take the attached ones off, a shot of antibiotics and get more tick prevention. Well after 250.00 at the vet not including the revolution which was $40.00 a pop for each dog, 2 weeks later he's infested all over again. What am I going to do? The vet said he must be more attractive to the ticks than most dogs. My bitch just whelped her pups on Wednesday and I really need to get rid of these things before the puppies get infested. Copper has not been in the same room with them and he won't be now that I see he has more ticks.
What would the other dog owners out there suggest? Does revolution just suck? My bitch who plays in our coulee just as much as Copper has had no ticks that I have been able to find. With my Great Pyrenees well I've checked her as much as I can but with her hair I can't be certain unless I shave her and I'm not going to do that to her. What should I do? My beagles are indoor/outdoor dogs and the last thing I want is ticks in the house or on the kids. Suggestions please.

I just pulled a big tick off one of my dogs last night so I am gonna have to start dosing them too. I have never heard of Revolution so can't comment on it but the only thing I found that works on my dogs was Frontline plus.
Even then I would have to redose them every 3 weeks even though the box says it's good for a month.

Vets love to charge as much as they can to pet owners. Find out if injectable Ivomec is safe for use on your breed of dog. We also have great Pyrennes (pups). We've pulled off the ticks as a daily routine with no problems. Could you do a controlled burn in your coulee? Fire fixes ticks fast.Don't know of any collars that are 100% effective against ticks. Get a 2nd or 3rd vets opinion, as the one you have now may be waiting for you to walk through the door.

I will try frontline plus I guess. As far as I knew revolution was supposed to be good but it doesn't seem to be with this dog. I can't do anything about the coulee as far as burn it as its the majority of my pasture. Right now we have one that is fairly tall grass as it was very over grazed in the past and it desperatly needed some rest. We can't mow it because of the slope. I guess I should call another vet hopefully they will reccomend something over the phone as it would be a much longer drive to get to a different one. I am so tired of all of these problems with my animals. Between the ticks ,my bitch having a hard labour with retained placentas and also a ringworm outbreak with the horses I've almost had it. Maybe as they say problems come in 3's then there will be no more.

My vet also told me that ticks love gophers and unfourtunaly so does Copper. He said they stay on the entrance to the gopher hole and wait. When a dog sticks his head in there they pounce.

I used the K9 Advantix one summer and it worked really well. Fortunately we live in an area where the ticks are not too bad. My dad lives in a coulee that is full of ticks. He uses the spray on stuff, can't remember the name. He also uses horse spray that works for flies and ticks.

Hang in there, don't get frustrated, things could be a lot lot worse. Ticks in my area only have about a 1 month cycle.

Thanks for the encouragement. I do have the litter af healthy pups to be happy about. My vet was baffled why he had so many ticks in february. He said he stopped counting after 20.

Our Corgi is a tick magnet. We know ticks are out when they are on him. He beats the cows and horses. The first tick we found was early March, somewhat early for ticks to be out, but they are. We check him every day, because it seems no matter what we use on him, nothing works "perfectly". Notice on my avatar, his white ruff, that is where we find most of the ticks, so we use a collar.

Good luck.

Geeeeez, I hate ticks, YUK

When we moved here we pulled about 10 ticks a day of the dogs. Finally got enough of the grass around the yard beat down that it took care of the main problem but the dogs would go out in the pastures and just come in coverd again... Frontline worked but only for about 3 weeks and than the ticks would start showing up again.. Terrible..

Something stopped it eventually, I wish I could say what, dry summer, wet summer, cold spring hot spring, late frost, I don't know but we don't have the problem so much anymore.. I'll tell you one thing, the wife had about 35 Guinea hens for a while and those suckers did a good job cleaning the 10 acres right around the house of almost all insects (Except those asian lady beatles, nasty little things) .. .. Still pull a couple monsters a year off the LGD's..

Put regular old vinegar in their drinkin water. At first.....put maybe a tablespoon...then gradually add up to a 1/2 cup to a gallon of water...they'll hate it at first.....and you hafta make sure it's the only water they have access to. But once they have it in their systems the ticks and fleas won't bother them. They'll get to where they drink it like plain ole water.
Same goes with horses and mosquito's and flys....if you put vinegar in their drinkin water they have way less problems with em.

As for the spot treatments that you put on dogs...I've tried several brands and none of them seem to really do the job.

Big Muddy rancher said:
I have been chuckling all day about this when I heard Brad Paisely's song Pickin' ticks. :D
I just heard that song too,at first I was thinking...Hes not saying what I think hes saying.... :lol:

Latest posts