• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Done for the year

Help Support Ranchers.net:

George

Reaction score
With only 21 cows it is still good to have them all done I had 18 between March 26th and April 6th - - - one cow suprised me with her's on Dec 28th

The Vet said my old cow and my hiefer would be late May to early June - - - cow calved on May 31st and the hiefer calved this morning ( June 1st ) so he was right on.

21 calves on the ground out of 21 animals and I got 20 bulls and 1 hiefer! I was hopeing to keep four or five back - - - last year I only had 1 hiefer as well that is why I only had one to calve this year.

I guess I need to trade with neighbors or sell bulls and buy a few replacements.

I don't know what the deal is but last year I only had 2 out of 20 and the year before that I only had one out of 19.

I know I should be happy but I really wanted a few more hiefers so I could keep back from my own.

A neighbor who only has 6 cows got their first hiefer in three years this year.

I don't know if the bull has much to do with it but this years calves are out of a different bull than the last two - - - but he is a son of the bull that keeps throwing bulls. I am going to sell this bull in August ( 3/4 Angus and 1/4 Charolis ) as I have found an Angus bull calf that is a twin that I am going to use next year - - - hopefully I will get more twins.

George, you will get twins out of the heifers you keep out of the new bull. The bull determines the sex and the cow, through egg production or egg splitting determines the number of calves born. The bull you are getting will pass on the twin genetics to his daughters, who will be more prone for multiple or split eggs.

Multiple fertilized eggs will give you fraternal twins. Split eggs will get you identical twins.

Good luck.

Tex

That is the plan although it will be the grandkids that reap the benefits or heartache of my actions.

55% male calves so far.

The last load of heifers we bought are taking way longer to calve than we were told. One cow left that was bred here may go tonight. 37 left after that. :roll: :x

Our last spring calf was born today. :) The first spring calf was born on February 13th, so we've been at it awhile. The cows have pretty much been on the honor system, and they haven't disappointed us. On May 3rd, we branded the last of everything that was old enough, and then Peach, Sunflower, our two daughters-in-law, and the two youngsters flew to California for a few days to explore the giant Redwood trees around Crescent City. We have had about 55 cows have calves since the first of May, and these calves haven't been branded as yet. With the summer coming up quite dry so far, we are thinking strongly of offering these fine cows and their calves for sale. About thirty of the cows are two, three, and four years old, and the rest are older than that. If anyone is interested in a deal of this nature, please let me know.

Soapweed said:
Our last spring calf was born today. :) The first spring calf was born on February 13th, so we've been at it awhile. The cows have pretty much been on the honor system, and they haven't disappointed us. On May 3rd, we branded the last of everything that was old enough, and then Peach, Sunflower, our two daughters-in-law, and the two youngsters flew to California for a few days to explore the giant Redwood trees around Crescent City. We have had about 55 cows have calves since the first of May, and these calves haven't been branded as yet. With the summer coming up quite dry so far, we are thinking strongly of offering these fine cows and their calves for sale. About thirty of the cows are two, three, and four years old, and the rest are older than that. If anyone is interested in a deal of this nature, please let me know.

Do these "fine cows" include Skinny Mini? :lol: :p

gcreekrch said:
Soapweed said:

Do these "fine cows" include Skinny Mini? :lol: :p

Skinny Mini could be included, but she wouldn't have to be. She has a mighty nice black bull calf, and even though she is small she gives a lot of milk. She could easily be the most efficient cow on anyone's ranch. :)

I'm still a little concerned that the last calf wants to be a dog - - - but it has stayed with the cows for 2 days not so I'm hopeing for the best.

Imhiddencantyoutell.jpg

Momma is watching me sleep with out my Canine buddies!

Staciewithlargequarter.jpg

Momma still has one quarter too large - - - would not concern me but this is the first calf from her. Got to spray for flies again!

Personally, I wouldn't worry about that quarter other than if she has a big
teat with her very first calf, it's only gonna ger worse as she ages. But when
this calf is ready to take on more milk, I'll bet he takes care of the problem
for ya!! This year anyway.

Pretty funny, a calf thinking he's a dog.... :D

First calf born on Feb. 18 and last of the group of April 15. Now we are winding down on our May/June calvers.

Latest posts