• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Don't Ya Just Love Fuzzy Wuzzy Bears?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
We branded a bunch of the late calves today. When I gathered the 80 acres around the house this morning, this calf was flat. I thought he was a scour case until I got close and found he was a bear attack victom. By the tracks it was a fair sized black bear. Apparently the last bunch of heifers we bought are pretty protective mommas or he would have been a picanic basket. Haven't caught up with the perpetrator yet but will eventually.

I guess we didn't have enough to do. :roll:

Swelling occurred about 8 hrs after attack likely happened.
P6250806.jpg

Bite marks and swelling.
P6250807.jpg

P6250808.jpg

P6250809.jpg

P6250810.jpg

Glad the little tike made it :) !!That must be something else having to deal with predator's like that,us flatlanders are pretty fortunate that way.

Faster horses said:
OUCH!!!

So what do you do to treat it, gcreek? Antibiotics? Banamine? Both?
It looks really painful.

Good luck to you in finding the bear. Be sure and let us know when
you do.

LA, Banamine, lots of flushing with water. Probably wii end up putting a drain in at the bottom.

Guard dog said it was here last night but 2 hours moonlight vigil between 11 and 1 produced nothing but a grumpier rancher this morning.

Trap him.
The bee keepers here use a heavy cable foot snare in a five gallon pail mounted to a tree. Looks pretty safe around dogs, calves etc.
Better to get woke up than have to stay up.

PureCountry said:
Get yourself a couple mammoth jack mules. They'll fit in real good with you. :p

Think I'll just B1+t4 about the bears. :p

Your probably right about the fit. :wink:

We did get a drain sewn in both sides today. Calf is actually doing well but it's going to be a long process to heal him up.

I hope he gets over it fine, gcreekrch! I've been poppin' coyotes....can't imagine worrying about bear.

hayguy said:
"You skin Grizz, boy?"

I can skin em as fast as you can catch em :D

A little pinetar over the top might help keep the bugs out of the calf .
& a 10 ft piece of 3or 4 ft road culvert makes a nice bullet proof travel trailor for boo boos

I was all set to visit you, and now I find out there are bears.... cancel the trip now!!!

I hope you get the dang thing. what are the laws on killing the bears? if you prove the attack, you can kill it? do the greenie weenies give you a hard time about it?

jigs said:
I was all set to visit you, and now I find out there are bears.... cancel the trip now!!!

I hope you get the dang thing. what are the laws on killing the bears? if you prove the attack, you can kill it? do the greenie weenies give you a hard time about it?

Whu?

Who said anything about shooting bears? :???:

Jiggsy, you just proved your wussyhood so bad. :lol:

I'd head up there right today to help'em out but I'm busy . . .

burnt said:
jigs said:

Whu?

Who said anything about shooting bears? :???:

Jiggsy, you just proved your wussyhood so bad. :lol:

I'd head up there right today to help'em out but I'm busy . . .

We can protect our livestock from predation. In the case of grizzlies you had better have proof in pictures beyond doubt if you are going to tell anyone. Not many get excited about blacks. Wolves have a no closed season and no bag limit.

lefty said:
A little pinetar over the top might help keep the bugs out of the calf .
& a 10 ft piece of 3or 4 ft road culvert makes a nice bullet proof travel trailor for boo boos

We use bacon grease to keep the flies off horses chest, and it really
works, so that might be good to use on the calf. On the other hand,
it might draw............................bears! :p

Latest posts