• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Drill stem post's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

we always fill the post with concrete to avoid the moisture condensing and rusting off from inside

I honestly don't remember if the poast were capped or not, but they were when I left. I also don't remember if the concrete was flush with the ground or not. I just remember the guy was very happy he didn't have to cut off his continus fence and start over.

An old cowman who I respect very much (and reads this forum) told me that if a rancher gets the idea to pour cement he should take 2 Aspirin and go to bed.

He will feel better when the feeling passes. :wink:

gcreekrch said:
An old cowman who I respect very much (and reads this forum) told me that if a rancher gets the idea to pour cement he should take 2 Aspirin and go to bed.

That's why my gate posts aren't cemented :lol:

gcreekrch said:

One of the things I am most proud about is that I only own two feed bunks, both of which are ten feet in length. Right at the moment I'd be hard pressed to remember where they are even stashed. :wink:

gcreekrch said:

I agree I've been pondering this all day while working our corrals are RR ties,plank and some metal panels we built when Iron was less expensive.There are corrals here that I helped build in 1984 and they seam to have some years left in them. RR Ties and rough oak lumber two commodities in abundance here. I even put up some snake fence this past summer that works well to hold the cows and that was out of poplar. They most likely won't last 10 years but it was economical. about 1/2 gallon of saw gas and a couple gallons of diesel and a 1/2 days work.

I worked on a cement crew one summer 96 or 97 don't care to do any of that again. Cement work and manure spreaders 2 things a rancher has no use for.

Denny said:
gcreekrch said:

I agree I've been pondering this all day while working our corrals are RR ties,plank and some metal panels we built when Iron was less expensive.There are corrals here that I helped build in 1984 and they seam to have some years left in them. RR Ties and rough oak lumber two commodities in abundance here. I even put up some snake fence this past summer that works well to hold the cows and that was out of poplar. They most likely won't last 10 years but it was economical. about 1/2 gallon of saw gas and a couple gallons of diesel and a 1/2 days work.

I worked on a cement crew one summer 96 or 97 don't care to do any of that again. Cement work and manure spreaders 2 things a rancher has no use for.

You're in a wetter belt than I am but if you stripped the bark on both sides of the logs or even scored them with a saw they will last longer. Anything to break the bark ring next to the sapwood. That's where the moisture holds and rot starts.

We rebuilt corrals a couple years ago with continuos fence that the ends where smaller and slipped over the next fence and we used old REA poles for the post. Used in our alleyways and haven't had a problem. Father'n'law works for the local REA and they replaced 15 new poles and they didn't want to haul them back to town and just dropped them off at our place at no cost. Usually we could get two or the post per pole. We only use the bottom half of the post and use the rest for pasture post or corner post when we fence corn stalks. Only problem is you got to dig a big hole.

All our gate post are still pipe with a plastic pipe around it with concrete poured above the ground to keep pipe from rusting out and keep gate hanging true.

I'm sitting here soaking a quails foot in epsom salts, so I thought maybe I'd add in... :D

The guy before me here, left a bunch of 10' pieces of pipe and continous fence laying on the ground. I dug the holes 4ft in the ground every 5 feet and wired the panels to the posts....no cement. My bucking bulls fought and got rammed into the fence daily and it held fine.

I did cut styrofoam cups to shape and put a little quick-crete in them to make caps for the posts for keeping water out of the posts.

Latest posts