• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Drought question (again)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP said:
3 M L & C said:
katrina said:
What direction would a person send cow/calf pairs if they were to sell them?

Katrina I have been selling at Salina for the past few years and have had good luck with them. They advertise like crazy in all sorts of papers. I don't know if people around there are in the market, but at their march cow sale an order buyer from Amerillo Tx sat beside me. So they bring buyers in anyway. Just thought I would throw that info out there. If you call them for some info call the assistant manager. The main manager isn't to pleasant to talk to.

We heard yesterday, that they sold a couple thousand pair in Salina. Split them up. Got $500 for the calves, and killed the cows? Don't know how much truth there was to it.

I dought if those were local cattle my wife is from Lincoln, and I have some good friends there. They have had 6 inches of rain in the past month. They are complaining about not getting corn planted. :roll: Anyway that would be tough to watch some good cows get butchered.

LazyWP said:
3 M L & C said:
katrina said:
What direction would a person send cow/calf pairs if they were to sell them?

Katrina I have been selling at Salina for the past few years and have had good luck with them. They advertise like crazy in all sorts of papers. I don't know if people around there are in the market, but at their march cow sale an order buyer from Amerillo Tx sat beside me. So they bring buyers in anyway. Just thought I would throw that info out there. If you call them for some info call the assistant manager. The main manager isn't to pleasant to talk to.

We heard yesterday, that they sold a couple thousand pair in Salina. Split them up. Got $500 for the calves, and killed the cows? Don't know how much truth there was to it.

I would imagine they have an online market report that a person could check
out if they so desired.

Faster horses said:
LazyWP said:
3 M L & C said:

out if they so desired.

They only put what they want on their online market report. They skiped a whole month because of undesirerable results. :roll:

3 M L & C said:
Faster horses said:
LazyWP said:

out if they so desired.

They only put what they want on their online market report. They skiped a whole month because of undesirerable results. :roll:

I would guess that the cattle were from western Kansas/Colorado/New Mexico. Mike and Kyle do quite a job of getting cattle in from all over the country.

Lots of moisture here but grass isn't anything to brag about. Been cold and just now warming up. The effects of last years drought are really showing up.
May give Joplin Regional Stockyards a call.

Did you get any rain on Tuesday Katrina? We got about 4/10ths. Not a lot but more than some. Heard amounts from 2 to 3 inches in spots.

Yes..... Sixty hundredths and yes to the west some got 11/2 to 2"... We have two quarters of alfalfla that is not greenin up and you can pull the plant out of the ground easily.... Our plan as of this week is to sort heavily and deep over 100 cows to sell. I think we will try to keep them and feed rest of the silage up and as soon as we can wean.. Neither hubby and I have the stomach to sell pairs... And we will tear up the fields and plant sedan grass. If it is dry we will also bale our spring wheat and of course plant corn for silage... Last year we started feeding some hay in July and also chopped silage. We fixed fence yesterday and there is some grass trying to grow, so we will turnout when we run out of hay. These plans are subject to change at a drop of the hat. I wish now we would of sold half the corp cows last fall when we got them. But we didn't know how the winter would be. We would of been ahead of the game.

Continue to get missed here in my neck of the woods. Will be weaning fall calves soon and probably sell about half those cows in a couple of weeks when they dry up.

Am actively considering very early weaning of calves this summer then maybe sell about half the spring calving herd.

Really just kind of in a state of shock that we are in the 4th year of this deal and it just doesn't seem to want to improve.

Bad times in Texas for sure. They have closed two plants in the last year. One a huge regular processor and the second a big regional cow packer. We already sold at a discount to "northern" cattle now it is just worse.

As silly as it sounds I can foresee the day in my lifetime when Texas is not the #1 cattle state. With huge sell downs from droughts already and so much land being taken out of production so doctors, lawyers, and indian chiefs from Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio can have "hunting ranches" it doesn't bode well for the industry in the future here.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but we need three dollar corn to put everything into perspective.... The corp rented a quarter of ground form a couple of ladies. Roscoe's mom thought it was too much so our oldest son took over the lease. It was a chance for him to get a start. He wanted to rent it again and they told him they had other plans. Didn't even give him a chance to bid. We will see who rents it, I think it's outside money. Time will tell... So son #1 bought a simi. "You call, he hauls." :D

nortexsook said:
Continue to get missed here in my neck of the woods. Will be weaning fall calves soon and probably sell about half those cows in a couple of weeks when they dry up.

Am actively considering very early weaning of calves this summer then maybe sell about half the spring calving herd.

Really just kind of in a state of shock that we are in the 4th year of this deal and it just doesn't seem to want to improve.

Bad times in Texas for sure. They have closed two plants in the last year. One a huge regular processor and the second a big regional cow packer. We already sold at a discount to "northern" cattle now it is just worse.

As silly as it sounds I can foresee the day in my lifetime when Texas is not the #1 cattle state. With huge sell downs from droughts already and so much land being taken out of production so doctors, lawyers, and indian chiefs from Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio can have "hunting ranches" it doesn't bode well for the industry in the future here.

I don't understand why those with hunting ranches often don't see the $$$$ advantages and improved deer habitat by running cattle on their places. Deer are browsers, cattle are grazers and most knowledgeable managers will tell you that cattle actually improve deer habitat by opening up thick cover and letting more sunlight hit the ground.

For deer, a thick canopy does them no good. As the guy said, if it's not within reach, it might as well be growing on the moon.

Whitewing said:
nortexsook said:

I don't understand why those with hunting ranches often don't see the $$$$ advantages and improved deer habitat by running cattle on their places. Deer are browsers, cattle are grazers and most knowledgeable managers will tell you that cattle actually improve deer habitat by opening up thick cover and letting more sunlight hit the ground.

For deer, a thick canopy does them no good. As the guy said, if it's not within reach, it might as well be growing on the moon.

Ignorance appears to be universal and of awesome proportions---take CRP, when it first came in---paid by what's now FSA, but much input from Soil Conservation Service---and NO provision for grazing, maintenance, haying---even in a state like Iowa---

littlejoe said:
Whitewing said:
nortexsook said:

Ignorance appears to be universal and of awesome proportions---take CRP, when it first came in---paid by what's now FSA, but much input from Soil Conservation Service---and NO provision for grazing, maintenance, haying---even in a state like Iowa---

Andy Borowitz should have been retained as a drought consultant. He would be able to implement procedures to the satisfaction of all concerned.

I would guess that the cattle were from western Kansas/Colorado/New Mexico. Mike and Kyle do quite a job of getting cattle in from all over the country.

They also do a good job of using fake ranch names and having alot of "dispersions", and selling "true" fall cows, when actually they are opens from Torrington and rebred.

Winter Livestock in LaJunta, Colorado this past Tuesday, the 6th:

YOUNG STOCK COW PAIRS
SOLD MOSTLY 1250.00 TO 1475.00, SOLID MOUTH PAIRS 1100.00 TO 1350.00, BROKEN
MOUTH PAIRS 900.00 TO 1225.00, YOUNG PREGNANT COWS 850.00 TO 1100.00.

HTH with your decisions.....

bart.

eatbeef said:

They also do a good job of using fake ranch names and having alot of "dispersions", and selling "true" fall cows, when actually they are opens from Torrington and rebred.
Mike is an ass, but he runs a hell of a sale. we take 95% of our cattle there to sell.... it is worth the trip....

The market report in Ogallala last week would probabaly have matched the one from Winter Livestock in La Junta. Highest priced pairs I think were nice younger cows at $1500. Could have bought a lot of pairs for $1200 to $1300.

I heard from a guy in northeast Colorado that was actually looking to buy at that sale but don't think he did it. If that price was too much for him then I gues he was sure bargain shopping. He runs nice cows and a quality outfit so I was confused. Possibly didn't find the quality or age of cows he was looking for. I'd offer to get someone in touch with him but I don't really need to do this guy wrong so I'll likely stay out of it. :wink:

jigs said:
eatbeef said:

Mike is an ass, but he runs a hell of a sale. we take 95% of our cattle there to sell.... it is worth the trip....

That's the same opinion 90 % of the people who sell there have. I've been wanting to sell elsewhere but when i pick the check up its defenantly worth going there.

3 M L & C said:
jigs said:
eatbeef said:

That's the same opinion 90 % of the people who sell there have. I've been wanting to sell elsewhere but when i pick the check up its defenantly worth going there.

Everyone has been saying exactly that for 15 years that I know, but then I think I would say that about Greg Arendt, in Valentine too.
Kinda seems to go with the barn manager thing. You have to be a puke to run a good barn.

Latest posts