• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

drought

Help Support Ranchers.net:

peacecountry

Reaction score
another year of drought in most of the peace country. we have a ton of grasshoppers. the most i have ever seen .heard one of the community pastures gave there patrons 2 weeks notice if it dosent rain the cattle gotta go . that should drop cattle prices like a rock. hope the south gets lots of bales so they can take some bred cows. have a good one.

If only we could spread some of this moisture out hey? It's crazy how it floods in the south and the peace, which is typically a sure bet for good crops/production, is dry again.

Keep your chin up, it will come around.

Sorry that you are in a drought situation.
Been there, done that. Like Pure Country says,
"keep your chin up, it will pass."

Adjustments might have to be made, but you'll get
through. I bet most folks on here have been in your
situation at one time or another.

Prayin' for rain for you. It is getting hot here and we haven't
had a big rain for awhile. And some are noticing lots of
grasshoppers.

If ranching was easy, everyone would be doing it! :wink:

peacecountry said:
another year of drought in most of the peace country. we have a ton of grasshoppers. the most i have ever seen .heard one of the community pastures gave there patrons 2 weeks notice if it dosent rain the cattle gotta go . that should drop cattle prices like a rock. hope the south gets lots of bales so they can take some bred cows. have a good one.

I hear you. Grasshoppers have pretty well cleaned us out, open pastures are wiped out, brown and dead looking. Baled 40 acres for 9 bales the other day. I guess that's life in the fast lane :? I guess we've had it coming in our little area, I've been pretty smug over the last number of year because the crops have never failed like this in 3 generations. Our little valley always used to catch a shower or two that others would miss. In fact, the trick used to be getting your hay up and off the fields dry. Now I'm thinking about picking gcreeks brain about irrigation.
Good luck Peacecountry.

Silver said, " because the crops have never failed like this in 3 generations."

Silver, that is nothing short of awesome. How wonderful to live
in an area like that. Sometimes, I just yearn for some rain.
In fact, I've said many times that I hope before I die, I get to
live someplace where I could truthfully say, "I wish it would stop
raining." :p

Sorry to hear of your trials. If you're short on rain, it doesn't take long to be short of everything else you need, it seems.

silver -irrigation definately helps most years if you have a way to store run off in the spring such as a lake or small dam if you have a creek thats a bonus remember this is BC you will need a Water license {more red tape}hydro is the cheapest way to run pumps,if you are sreious about irrigation highlands in williams lake is a good starting point

sorry to here that PC wouldn't wish a dry year on any one , some yearly's started moving down here prices seem to be fair but pretty early , ship some culls last week , they were in pretty good shape was pretty happy with what we got . it will be interesting how things turn out around here , sure seems to be alot of acres that were under water , some guys got some reseeding done some didn't get the chance .

thanks guys got a liile shower yeasterday. the worst problem is they are so spotty when they do come thru . what are cows worth down south . thanks again

I pray your country gets moisture soon. It's been a dry year here so far with less than inch of precip. since April. The valley's first cut of Alfalfa was way below average... only one ton to the acre or less due to getting froze almost every morning and stressed with hot blowing wind every afternoon and this is all under irrigation, no dry land crops in our area. It looks like the monsoon is finally arriving, had a nice rain yesterday and today is supposed to be wet too.

Cattle prices here are down from there highs but still pretty good. I sold an older bull this week that brought $76/cwt @ 1950 lbs.

All the Best.

miocene said:
silver -irrigation definately helps most years if you have a way to store run off in the spring such as a lake or small dam if you have a creek thats a bonus remember this is BC you will need a Water license {more red tape}hydro is the cheapest way to run pumps,if you are sreious about irrigation highlands in williams lake is a good starting point

Is there a handbook somewhere that tells you how much volume you need per acre? I don't know if the beaver dams here would be enough. I've been thinking if I cold irrigate just one quarter section we would be able to get 2 good cuttings for sure. I don't know anything about irrigating really, but some of those setups I've seen in the interior look pretty expensive. I thought someone told me you could lay aluminum pipe on the ground and move it regularly?

peacecountry said:
thanks guys got a liile shower yeasterday. the worst problem is they are so spotty when they do come thru . what are cows worth down south . thanks again

Good pairs, usually the Angus-Simm crosses, red or black, are selling for $1200 and up. Cull cows are still good. If they're fleshy higher yielding types they bring 60 cents or more.

We are not able to irrigate here because of the salt content of
the water. It would ruin the vegatition. We have a dandy pond
to irrigate out of and had high hopes, but upon testing the water,
it just wouldn't work. Sure would have been nice to be assured
of a hay crop at least on part of your ranch.

Faster horses said:
Sure would have been nice to be assured
of a hay crop at least on part of your ranch.

That is my line of thinking exactly FH, I just don't have the first clue what it would cost to get set up. I checked in to the outfit Miocene told me about and they sound like the outfit to talk to. I'll have to do some soul searching and some research over the winter.

If you know where to look, good usable wheel lines can be bought for $1500 - $2000 in parts of Alberta. A friend of mine bought 4 over there last year, movers included.

What we have was mostly bought through auctions and cost less for the whole system than the same number of new handlines we are using. The pump is powered by a 6 cylinder Lister that will run 60 sprinklers on 10 gallons of fuel per day. It is big enough that it can supply a lot more water than we are using so runs a little faster than idle for our needs.

silver-the ag guys at the ministry have printed info but as usual there ideas need to be sorted through in order to find what works for you..Used pipe &a tractor pump would get you started to see what is going to work .and where you need to be located with the pump.depends on the size of the beaver dam and the supply coming in

I wish we could share some of our excess. It's been raining every other day since june here meadows are under water as of yet.I'm lucky I only have about 300 bales worth of meadow type hay. Some guys here thats their main hayground and it's underwater.

gcreekrch said:
If you know where to look, good usable wheel lines can be bought for $1500 - $2000 in parts of Alberta. A friend of mine bought 4 over there last year, movers included.

What we have was mostly bought through auctions and cost less for the whole system than the same number of new handlines we are using. The pump is powered by a 6 cylinder Lister that will run 60 sprinklers on 10 gallons of fuel per day. It is big enough that it can supply a lot more water than we are using so runs a little faster than idle for our needs.[/quote

There is a reason they sell so cheap,they are a lot of work and like to break down.Neighbour finally sold his last wheel line last year,he's been sober ever since.

Latest posts