• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dumb question/Is the border closed

Help Support Ranchers.net:

feeder

Reaction score
Sorry I am asking but a midwest commodity broker is telling his clients that the border is closed again. The husband keeps calling me to see what I know. I said "no news". So if anyone knows anything, post it. Thanks

feeder said:
Sorry I am asking but a midwest commodity broker is telling his clients that the border is closed again. The husband keeps calling me to see what I know. I said "no news". So if anyone knows anything, post it. Thanks

feeder,I think at this point it might be rumor,but a very real possibility now,some folks are going to be real careful.................good luck

Border still open- CFIA and USDA have not closed it nor will they. :tiphat: :wave: The broker may have his own adgenda imagine that. :cowboy:

Thanks for the replies. I,too thought it had to be rumor or some broker is nuts. If it was true, I figured those on this site would know.

Closing the border would be bad for "trade" and W's North American Union plans. You can't let piddly things like health and safety get in the way of international commerce.

Come down from you ivory tower. The reality is if pressured by the people as a saftey issue the border would be closed. There is no issue here. You want to penalize canadian cattlemen for being upfront and honest because you see them as a competitor. The border is open and will stay that way :p

QUESTION said:
Come down from you ivory tower. The reality is if pressured by the people as a saftey issue the border would be closed. There is no issue here. You want to penalize canadian cattlemen for being upfront and honest because you see them as a competitor. The border is open and will stay that way :p

I don't want to penalize anybody. I don't want to take unnecessary risks with our food supply nor I do I want to spread disease in our herd. I asked you before how we would not be spreading disease via your cattle and our feed ban - your reply was that we had to prove you had BSE. It just got proven AGAIN yesterday. What's your answer now?

More somantics and games :roll: The fact is none of this animal went into the human or animal food chain. The cow is tooo old to get into the US live so your points are moot. Are you spreading BSE from this cow in the US right now, have you done a trace back to where all her componments went. NO is the answer to all the questions she never got to the US the Canadian systen is working. And now you complain it is working. Prove one animal from canada in the US right now has BSE the fact is you can't, our progam works and you are jealouse as you can see down the road when Canada will become the supplier of quality beef to the world and replace the US if things keep going the way they are.
Sorry but with what canadian cattlemen have gone thru we are businessmen- tough , hard and ambitious. you had a hand in doing this it is your own fault

Question, " The fact is none of this animal went into the human or animal food chain. The cow is tooo old to get into the US live so your points are moot."

The facts are this animal, and Lord knows how many more just like her, can get down here now in the form of boxed beef. You're not testing them all.

Question, " you had a hand in doing this it is your own fault"

You've neen breating too much silage.

Questionable
More somantics and games :roll: The fact is none of this animal went into the human or animal food chain. The cow is tooo old to get into the US live so your points are moot. Are you spreading BSE from this cow in the US right now, have you done a trace back to where all her componments went. NO is the answer to all the questions she never got to the US the Canadian systen is working.

This cow may not have- but 5 of her infected herdmates- or 10 infected Alberta cows may have been shipped down yesterday as beef...You don't know....You are not testing ALL, so you have no idea how many of these infected animals are making it into the food chain- to be FRAUDULENTLY passed off to US consumers as US beef.....

CDC says your cattle pose a risk 26 times those of US cattle-- your own #1 BSE expert has said that on any given day he estimated there were up to 50 BSE infected cattle in Canada...

We have to go with the known facts: Yes the US has found BSE--2 origin cows (conspiracy or not-unknown)-- while Canada has found 13 in a herd 1/10th the size -- most of which were born after the 97 feedban. CFIA has openly admitted the feedban did not work-- and that an unknown amount of cattle out there could be incubating the disease and may not manifest the symptoms for 10-15 years.....Under USDA's Rule 2 all those cattle are now eligible to come to the US as beef-- which has to greatly increase the risk to US consumers- and to the US cattle herd....

SandH show me where the positive cows have shown up since the washington cow, How many were canadian imports to the US. If you could show where positives are going into the US foodchain and prove it definatively the border would be shut. SO make all the outrageous unjustified acusations you want, there is no truth in the accusations you make that you can prove so either put up or shut up.
:cowboy:
OT do you not think that the CFIA is doing a trace out ? So far the CFIA has mention nothing about herdmates going to the US so quit the fearmongering and hypthedicals deal in the truth for once. As i have posted before i am part of a producer owned plant and i test every animal i send to slaughter, so yes i am testing all animals i only feed plant based feedstocks no animal based supplements so i actually do know i am not selling any beef with BSE :roll: you can not say the same!!!!!!
So the same feedban that didn't work in canada , did in the US -do you know how idiotic that sounds with the extra loopholes the US feedban has and the fact that the US found 2 old grannies with BASE how did they get it? sorry your lead baloons don't fly :roll: Just some more fearmongering maybe you guys could come up with some new proof :roll: or even new lines afterall if you guys were so concerned how come r-calf has no problem with OTM's if COOL gets implemented. So is it a real concern NO. Could you guys please being so contradictory.
Your lines are the same as the tobacco industry citing small parts of studies that they support and discounting the rest, we all know how well it turned out for big tobacco. You guys are following the same script i wonder what you guys are up to? Tobacco was hiding the fact they were knowingly harming americans for profit. Makes me wonder why r-calf is doing the same thing is the end result going to be the same. I have a feeling a great big yes is coming. I have nothing to fear, too bad you can't say the same thing :p

Q, I'm sorry, but your logic has left the building. FACT: You have an unknown number of BSE positive cattle in your herd. FACT: Beef from those cattle have a straight shot into my country.

How can Canada justify closing your border to beef from Argentina without proving where FMD will enter? Can you definitely prove that FMD would enter Canada?

I still want to know where my BEEF comes from . I surely don't want BEEF from that cows herd mates. We now know that animal fat powder shipped to Japan caused BSE there. Where is the traceback to the boxed beef, maybe the farm shipped 30+ cow herd mates to slaughter last month. Has anybody ASKED the producer????? if so ,WHERE's THE BEEF?

SandH you can quit playing stupid or are you not playing. I have no bse positives, all animals slaughtered are tested and no positives. I do not feed animal based supplements and have not for 10 years i only have 2 cows that predate that and they show no signs but when i kill them as culls they will be tested. So explain to me again how you KNOW cattle I own are BSE positive? Or how my animals could get BSE as they only eat plant based supplement and have never been exposed to BSE or animal bases supplements. I find it funny you know more about my herd than i do, it must be quite a gift you have either that or you are very arrogant. Probably more the latter.
The FMD is a differnt story Canada is clear of FMD where as other countries are not. You can stop comparing apples and oranges any time.

Porker could you give me the report or a link to where the proof of BSE traveling to JAPAN in tallow. And with only BASE being in the US, where did the BSE come from? and where was it traced back to in the US? Everyone is making wild speculation trying to stir the fear, maybe wait for the facts before freaking out. :roll:

The FMD is a differnt story Canada is clear of FMD where as other countries are not.

And as far as we know and as far as the testing has shown- so is the US clear of the type BSE you and the UK have been finding...The 2 origin cases in the US have been type 2--which the scientist even have doubts about being transmitted by feed....

Since we have no history/record of your type BSE- that is why we don't want to import it in from Canada or any other BSE country.....

Oh great OT is denying the US has ever had a bovine with spongiform encephalopathy. He wants to split hairs. I don't have time for this childish crap , i am going out to check the heifers again they have been popping pretty regular the last couple of days. OT go play games with someone else i am not in the mood.

QUESTION said:
SandH you can quit playing stupid or are you not playing. I have no bse positives, all animals slaughtered are tested and no positives. I do not feed animal based supplements and have not for 10 years i only have 2 cows that predate that and they show no signs but when i kill them as culls they will be tested. So explain to me again how you KNOW cattle I own are BSE positive? Or how my animals could get BSE as they only eat plant based supplement and have never been exposed to BSE or animal bases supplements. I find it funny you know more about my herd than i do, it must be quite a gift you have either that or you are very arrogant. Probably more the latter.
The FMD is a differnt story Canada is clear of FMD where as other countries are not. You can stop comparing apples and oranges any time.

Porker could you give me the report or a link to where the proof of BSE traveling to JAPAN in tallow. And with only BASE being in the US, where did the BSE come from? and where was it traced back to in the US? Everyone is making wild speculation trying to stir the fear, maybe wait for the facts before freaking out. :roll:

You thought I was talking about just the cattle owned by you personally? Who's playing stupid?

I think the FMD scenario applies very well. You're on the other side of that deal, but I don't hear anything from you that leads me to believe you are applying the same standard. Say I'm an Argentine producer that is upset that Canada won't accept Argentine beef and I'm going to take a page from your book. I argue that there is no FMD in my herd, they've been tested. I then challenge you to prove that a case of FMD from Argengina has ever been found in Canada. I demand the border be opened and Canada take Argentine beef without reservation. Your reply is?

PS Don't give me the crap that it is different because Canada doesn't have FMD and the US has BSE - we don't have the same strain as what has been found up there - we don't have what you do.

QUESTION said:
Oh great OT is denying the US has ever had a bovine with spongiform encephalopathy.

Interpret this comment for us, "The 2 origin cases in the US have been type 2". Type 2 what? FMD? BVD? Flu?

Then answer this 1 animal in canada had BASE not BSE. Where did it come from since canada has a different strain than the US, care to explain? Where did it come from? As far as BSE what ever strain a country has found it is the same disease spongiform encephalopathy. So the different strain argument doesn't hold water. Canda doesn't have FMD and a country that wants send beef up here should be clear. Just like a country that is BSE/BASE clear has a valid reason not to accept north american beef. My thought is we have to eliminate this disease and set real protocols to ensure it is eliminated, including testing every animal and setting a real feedban ( zero loopholes and real penalties for violators )and what ever else is needed before we start thinking of exporting to clear countries.

Latest posts