• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Eagle Problems

Help Support Ranchers.net:

4Diamond

Well-known member
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
1,058
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
We seem to have more and more eagles around our place each winter. We are currently calving a group of cows and have 3 eagles that are causing some problems. I have had 2 dead calves, no confirmation that the eagles have caused this but they constantly flyover and scream then chase the calves. I haven't been able to get in touch with the game warden but I am looking for help and answers. Has anyone else ran across this problem?
 

leanin' H

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
6,852
Reaction score
1,706
Location
Western Utah Desert
Eagle will and do take fawns from antelope and muledeer out here. I have never saw them take a calf but it might be possible. Remember that Bald Eagles are protected and the penaltys are severe. Go through the wildlife department and cover all your bases but don't take any action that might be catastropic to you or your ranch. Good luck.
 

jingo2

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 6, 2009
Messages
907
Reaction score
0
Rule #1....NEVER post something like this on a PUBLIC WEB PAGE


Rule #2..... SSS
 

Jinglebob

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
5,962
Reaction score
0
Location
Western South Dakota
jingo2 said:
Rule #1....NEVER post something like this on a PUBLIC WEB PAGE


Rule #2..... SSS
Yup.

I had a calf a few years ago a big bird got a hold of. he survived but wasn't much of a calf. Had a couple of spots on his neck and withers that looked like bites until they sluffed off. Just the right distance apart for eagle feet. I think his mama ran the bird off.

Eagles will take full grown antelope over in Wyoming and in northwestern SD where my son is working on a ranch, they lamb mid May, party because of all the eagles that winter up there.

Go to Youtube and do a search for"Hunting wolves with eagles in Mongolia". Pretty cool stuff to watch. They just roll them wolves which look to be about like what we had on the prairie years ago. Not like these timber wolves they have brought back in and released.
 

LazyWP

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
1,700
Reaction score
0
I have seen Golden Eagle take a new born calf. They too are protected. Your best option is through the Feds, as bad as it hurts me to say that.
 

George

Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
2,344
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
Our local post mistress always brought her poodle mix dog to work with her and would let the dog do it's business on the front lawn.

About a year ago she was standing on the porch of the post office watching her dog and a large hawk took it away! She was yelling and having a fit but we never saw the dog again!
 

Nicky

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,398
Reaction score
337
Location
N.E. Oregon
Are they bald or golden's? We always have bald eagles come around during calving, they eat afterbirths but have never bothered a calf. Now if I had golden's hanging around I'd be doing something for sure.
 

gcreekrch

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
11,676
Reaction score
569
Location
west chilcotin bc
They don't normally bother unless a calf is down from other problems here.

Crows and ravens are worse.

Hard to say what the consequences are with no neighbors to worry about things..........
 

4Diamond

Well-known member
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
1,058
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
I sure don't get where you think I have done something to these eagles or intend to harm them. Maybe my wording was wrong but NOTHING has or WILL happen to these birds from my hands, I am not that stupid. I have heard of scarecrows, etc but was just looking for suggestions or if other people have ran into this. They are bald eagles
 

leanin' H

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
6,852
Reaction score
1,706
Location
Western Utah Desert
4 Diamond, take a deep breath and listen to what Justin and i said! :? I was merely trying to mention that eagles are protected incase you did not know. Neither of us accussed you of anything. You asked a question and we replied. I never said anything other than be careful. Simply advice from a simpleton! :? And nobody called you stupid! :???: We were trying to look out for you and guess we should'a shut the heck up! NUTS! :?
 

VB RANCH

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
777
Reaction score
8
Location
leader minnesota
them eagles are the shits
you can shoot around out there
but they seem to figger that out
i have also took the dead out away
from the cattle, out in the open
that helped as much as anything
and hope your neighbor starts calving soon
allways wonder why they made a damn buzzard a national treasure
 

littlejoe

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2011
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
0
Location
Montana, East Slope
4Diamond said:
I sure don't get where you think I have done something to these eagles or intend to harm them. Maybe my wording was wrong but NOTHING has or WILL happen to these birds from my hands, I am not that stupid. I have heard of scarecrows, etc but was just looking for suggestions or if other people have ran into this. They are bald eagles

You ever pick up a bald eagle? Lucky if they weigh 6 pounds. We got quite a few of them, winter with the ducks where's theres springs/open water. I like 'em---we let a guy put out road kill on a knob for them, he loves them, will open up a deer or dead cow so they can get at it better---some of the transients coming thru here have it pretty tough, if weathers bad. Might see 20 of them on a carcass. Got some goldens, too---yr around residents. One pair of goldens has a nest, 200 yds from some of my biggest springs where cows are now---they stick in that area 365---I've never had a problem with either kind.

The one I handled had hit a power line---couldn't even give it to the natives---seems a waste.
 

Wyoming Wind

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 4, 2011
Messages
270
Reaction score
0
Location
Merna, WY
Definetly contact the Game and Fish...they should be able to help you deal with the birds. We saw a bald eagle fly down right after a calf was born, scared the heifer, and it pecked the calf's belly open thru the umbelical cord. Killed the calf. They can really become a problem when they learn how to get easy meat. Good luck, let us know what solution you come up with!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
littlejoe said:
4Diamond said:
I sure don't get where you think I have done something to these eagles or intend to harm them. Maybe my wording was wrong but NOTHING has or WILL happen to these birds from my hands, I am not that stupid. I have heard of scarecrows, etc but was just looking for suggestions or if other people have ran into this. They are bald eagles

You ever pick up a bald eagle? Lucky if they weigh 6 pounds. We got quite a few of them, winter with the ducks where's theres springs/open water. I like 'em---we let a guy put out road kill on a knob for them, he loves them, will open up a deer or dead cow so they can get at it better---some of the transients coming thru here have it pretty tough, if weathers bad. Might see 20 of them on a carcass. Got some goldens, too---yr around residents. One pair of goldens has a nest, 200 yds from some of my biggest springs where cows are now---they stick in that area 365---I've never had a problem with either kind.

The one I handled had hit a power line---couldn't even give it to the natives---seems a waste.

Yep--- with the Lake near here and open water all year long we have lots of eagles in the area... Both Bald and Goldens... I've had days with as many as a dozen eagles sitting in my trees in the yard- looking for pheasants and grouse that come out on the feedyard...

While I know folks that have had a problem with them getting lambs, I have never had any problem with calves-- altho its really scarey when you look at a couple of eagles sitting a few yards from a newborn calf... Usually they come in to clean up the placenta/afterbirth....
 

Denny

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
5,624
Reaction score
0
Location
Mn usa
You guy's need to invest in an outdoor wood boiler amazeing what fits in the door.
 

Latest posts

Top