• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ear tags

Help Support Ranchers.net:

randiliana

Reaction score
Ok, what is your favorite kind of ear tag and why? We are now looking at having to have a RFID tag (for CCIA) AND a herd identity tag too. Getting pretty expensive since the RFID are $3 per tag right now and the others are slightly more than $1.

Anyways, so far of all the tags we've used, I like the Y-tex ones. They have a little hard plastic collar in the tag that holds on to the button. Short of tearing the ear out, or having the button cut with twine, they don't fall out. I dont't think we have had to replace more than 1 or 2 in 5 years. We have used Allflex, and Duflex tags, but I find that the buttons will pop out if they get caught on something. The only thing that was good for was when we were removing them, all you needed to do was give them a tug and they would pop apart without hurting the ear. Gotta remember that, now we have to cut the buttons to remove tags!! The other thing is that we re-use tags so I need one that has a button.

Randi
Saskatchewan, Canada
My Website
www.geocities.com/randiliana2000
My Favorite Canadian Gardening group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CdnRRandSeedexch/
My Favorite Canadian Ranching Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canadianfoodanimals

I use allflex and I have heard folks say they fall out, fade etc. but I have very few failures,have some that have been in one old set of cows at least fourteen years probably longer,and yes they are faded and some have been replaced, but so have my fences,point is every thing needs tending.I didnt have the heart to haul the old girls to town just turned em loose in a river pasture,I figger they more than paid their way................good luck

I use bling-bling. or blang-blang with very few failures.

I use and have used Temple tags for years - - - after about 5 years I will reink them as while my son can still read them I don't have young eyes any more :? . The stem is tapered to stop hanging up and reinforced where the button goes thru. The button has the heaviest stem I have found on any. :D

My oldest cow is 15 this year and still has her calf tag ( was in left ear until going into the breeding herd then moved to the right) and her herd tag in her left ear. I have had to reink them every 3 or 4 years after about the first 5 years. She had the last calf this year :( and I guess it is about time for her to go but we are going to let her go another year - - - she has earned the right. I move my cows about every 3 days and she will follow me any where and bring the herd with her - - has just put her 13th calf on the ground. Should I send her on? In a financial world yes I should but call me an old softy. I do cull anything that does not produce and she was 60 days late but she has earned the right to stay.

The tags I get have the cow number on the front and my name , address, phone number on the back - - - cost is about $.90 each US I feel it is a bargain at under a doillar for all the good they do me. :D :D :D

I love those ram-bull tags that are a flexible rubbery plastic. They come in all colours and have the ID number engraved into the next layer of contrasting colour. So easy to read from a distance and they never fade.
Now that we are stuck with RFID buttons I have been trying to contact the people who make Rambull tags to try to get them to create a buttonless tag that has a reinforced hole so that you can just slide it onto the RFID tag and use it as one unit. One hole two tags. Anyone know if they still make tags?

I have never heard of those tags but would love to see a sample - - - - I will try to google them later.

If anyone has a contact let me know

I found out Ram-bull was only a dealer.... This is the type of tag I am looking for.... but was wondering if they could make it with just a hole so we can use the dreaded RFID with it as one unit.

http://www.niftylivestockequip.com/richey.html

The link for 'contact us' is corrupt.

smalltime said:
in my opinion no tags are the best i 've used
Think what you will, smalltime, but if you plan to ranch 'BIG TIME' - sometime - you'll use tags - and you might as well determine what is the best for YOUR operation before it is mandatory, and you make a quick decision - and it is the wrong decision. :shock: Putting it off to "wait and see what happens" won't cut it! :wink:

why don't you explain that last post horseman. All brand"s of tags can fade,break,or rip out.A tatoo is better for identification.I have no desire to ranch "bigtime" as you call it doc.I'll just leave the business to the factory farms.In my opinion most feedlot meat be it beef ,pork or poultry all taste and smell the same .

smalltime said:
why don't you explain that last post horseman. All brand"s of tags can fade,break,or rip out.A tatoo is better for identification.I have no desire to ranch "bigtime" as you call it doc.I'll just leave the business to the factory farms.In my opinion most feedlot meat be it beef ,pork or poultry all taste and smell the same .

don't let "horseman" get to you, smalltime!!! He is new to these boards and has yet to realize that the smartass comments are best kept on the bull session board!!! Here on ranch talk and coffee shop, we do our best to get along and keep it light!!!! I, too, have found myself on the cutting edge of his tongue....and i have never done a darned thing to him!!! So, don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff!! :wink:

We use allflex tags, even tho have had problems since they changed the backs..but hopefully that's been remedied with the new style needle for the plyers. We started tagging ours as soon as we started. Even if it was "small" then. But I've always kept records on my cows, if nothin else it was for my own peace of mind. That way I knew what calf came from what cow and it helped me over the years in figgerin which cows were my best producers, quickest to breed back..etc. It was a simple process at first..now it's a job to get all the calves matched up with the mama after we tag em all and turn em back out. But it's a job I dont mind. Gives me another excuse to go out and be around my cows. lol It's easy to match em up when ya catch em brand new and can slip up and put a tag in while they are still fresh.
We have some tagged with the yellow with black numbers that have faded to the point that you havta git perdy "up close" to read it. But the biggest majority have orange with black numbers and I've never had them fade. Most of the yellow tagged cows I know their number by heart anyway they are some of the older cows.

ranchwife said:
smalltime said:

don't let "horseman" get to you, smalltime!!! He is new to these boards and has yet to realize that the smartass comments are best kept on the bull session board!!! Here on ranch talk and coffee shop, we do our best to get along and keep it light!!!! I, too, have found myself on the cutting edge of his tongue....and i have never done a darned thing to him!!! So, don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff!! :wink:

Horseman seems mighty familiar. Could he be related to that horses back end that's been kicked off of here a few times?

Big Muddy rancher said:
ranchwife said:
smalltime said:

Horseman seems mighty familiar. Could he be related to that horses back end that's been kicked off of here a few times?

Sounds like he needs to be "put to pasture" again!! :wink:

I like Z tags-easily the best tagger going-we tag with the cows number at birth than put another with individual number if we retain for breeding-number brand our hfrs too-can you tell I like to know whos who out there lol. We used to use those engraveable tags but they are a pain when you grass calve lots of time you onlyt get one chance to tag a calf-a tag pen pretty easy to pack in the saddle bags.

Tha nks ranchwife for the advice.I don't realey care what horseman thinks of me or my way of raising cattle.All Hereford.And proud of it.

smalltime said:
Tha nks ranchwife for the advice.I don't realey care what horseman thinks of me or my way of raising cattle.All Hereford.And proud of it.

good for you, smalltime!!! My dad raised registered hereford in north dakota...still loves to banter with the hubby over his choice of registered angus!!! :D

Smalltime,

I tattoo my cattle for regestery purposes - - - however the only way I can read the tattoos is in the chute and I like to be able to tell someone to watch # XXX and the tags are a great help.

Yes I need to reink some of the tags from time to time but I have the cattle thru the chute normally twice a year so that is not a problem. In the early years I tried several brands of tags but since going to Temple I have stuck with them. I feel they save me a lot more time than any other item in use.

Latest posts