• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Early April, 2012

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Asparkyknife800x600.jpg

A Sparky knife
Theoffside800x600.jpg

The off side
HisVulcantrademark800x600.jpg

His Vulcan trademark
Sunflowerspaintingofherselfandhermother800x600.jpg

Sunflower's painting of herself and her mother
Donefreehandfromthisphoto600x800.jpg

Done freehand from this photo
KosmoKidskid800x600.jpg

Kosmo Kid's art project
Nobabysitteronduty800x600.jpg

No baby sitter on duty
Eventhoughthereprobablyshouldbe800x600.jpg

Even though there probably should be
Horsesonahill800x600.jpg

Horses on a hill
Wholetthedogsout800x600.jpg

Spooked
Theculprit800x600.jpg

The culprit :roll:
Threeandadraft800x600.jpg

Three and a draft
Checkingoutnewgrass800x600.jpg

Checking out new grass
Sortingforcolor800x600.jpg

Sorting for color
Twoofakind800x600.jpg

Two of a kind
Birdsofafeatherflockingtogether800x600.jpg

Birds of a feather flocking together
Featheredbirdflockingbyitself800x600.jpg

Bird of a feather flocking by itself
Twoyearoldheiferseatingcake800x600.jpg

Two-year-old heifers and their calves
Wildlittlecalf501x800.jpg

Wild little calf
FamilyPhotooftheKosmoKid800x600.jpg

Photo of the Kosmo Kid's family
Sparkysfamilyphoto800x600.jpg

Sparky's family photo
Sunflowersfamilyphoto800x600.jpg

Sunflower's family photo
Sparkysnewestknife800x600.jpg

Sparky's newest knife
Peacefulpond800x592.jpg

Peace on the pond

More great pictures, Soapweed! Your knack for picture caption labeling is unmatched and I get a kick out of it.

And you say you don't like cowdogs. :???: :lol: :lol:

I like that first knife of Sparkies, the last one is fancy but I still like the first one.Cool knife stand, It even got Tam eying it up for an idea for a sandstone painting holder. :lol:

Talented bunch of people you hang around with Soap. :D :D

I've wondered for a while, how many of your red calves are the product of recessive genectics, or how many of those cows summered next to red bulls? I'll bet I already know, and if you previously addressed the subject I'm sorry I missed it.
Calves look good as always; grandkids look better IMO. Didn't know you got in the cow-dog "business". Looks like you picked a matching color, for sure. If you can get it to 485# by fall I'll bet it will fit a load.

Our dog situaton has gone from bad to worse. We have our two old stand-bys, that I christen "the two best cowdogs in Cherry County, because they stay in the houseyard when we work cattle." Of course, the Kosmo Kid got his dream dog, a registered Bloodhound. Archimedes is totally worthless, but somewhat cute and loveable. About a week before Easter, a black long-haired cowdog-type drifted in to our place. We'd gladly give her back if someone would 'fess up to losing her. A couple days before Easter, another lonely looking black short-haired female cowdog-type showed up. Once again, no one seems to claim her. The day before Easter, company from eastern Nebraska came to visit. They have two city dogs, of the yapping hyperactive bounce-off-the-wall type. These dogs usually are house dogs, but when they are at our house, they stay in the company's vehicle. When I showed up at the house that evening, there were seven frickin' dogs and a hungry bucket calf, all in the house yard. It flat out made me want to run away from home.

The Kosmo Kid is letting his chickens "free-range," so we are boarding Archimedes on a fairly permanent basis. The garage doors need to be closed each night, or he parks his big Bloodyhound butt on a Polaris Ranger seat for a bed. He goes through lots of dog food each day, too. Oh well, it's a small price to pay for Bloodhound wisdom that is available for us to assimilate. Our two old regulars are here, and the two new dogs are just nice enough that they have gotten to stay so far. While riding my Delilah mule this evening, one of the new black dogs suddenly materialized out of a tree grove, and about got me piled. I said, "That's once," and I hope she realized the precarious probationary period she has now assumed.

Before800x600.jpg

Before

I think the surprise of the dog alarmed the mule enough that she was goosey the rest of our ride. We were trotting serenely through the soapweeds in a far pasture, when she spooked violently and caught me completely unaware. I hit the ground hard, and she took off. I was able to brush the sand off my face and hat, and rise painfully to me feet. Delilah was long gone, headed back in the direction of home. I gimped along for half a mile to the closest gate, where she was nervously pacing along the fence. Having no luck recapturing the wayward steed, I had to climb a high hill where cell phone reception was available, and summon Peach and a Polaris to assist. We were able to grab the reins of the mule by getting her boxed in between the fence, the Ranger, and the two of us. I rode Delilah back home, and thanked Peach for rescuing my ass and my ass. :roll: The cowdog is not to blame, but she definitely helped set the mood. :wink:

After800x600.jpg

After

On the subject of our red calves, I am sure they are all the product of recessive genes.

You are getting a bit to old to be taking nosedives into the sand, aren't you? Glad you are ok, and no one would ever know, if you didn't tell on yourself. I am thinking you wither need to ride that mule everyday, or ship her off. :twisted:

LazyWP said:
You are getting a bit to old to be taking nosedives into the sand, aren't you? Glad you are ok, and no one would ever know, if you didn't tell on yourself. I am thinking you wither need to ride that mule everyday, or ship her off. :twisted:

I'll give her a few more chances. So far, she has just been an expenditure. I would like her to turn into an investment. :wink: :)

Living where you do, and living dangerously (aka riding mules) like you do, I believe I'd invest in a sat-phone. At least then you wouldn't wear out boot leather when you found yourself afoot and needed to make a call. :wink:

Soap,
Not trying to be funny or anything, but they do make light weight jacket you can wear that has a string you put over the saddle horn that when you have an accident it inflates.... They do work..... don't ask me how I know... Especially if you do alot of riding by yourself like some of us do......

katrina said:
Soap,
Not trying to be funny or anything, but they do make light weight jacket you can wear that has a string you put over the saddle horn that when you have an accident it inflates.... They do work..... don't ask me how I know... Especially if you do alot of riding by yourself like some of us do......

I know I can't swim, but we weren't riding through a lake. We were riding on dry ground through the hills. :wink:

Besides, all of my shirts already have that magic string. They are always inflated. :)

Soapweed said:
katrina said:
Soap,

I know I can't swim, but we weren't riding through a lake. We were riding on dry ground through the hills. :wink:

Besides, all of my shirts already have that magic string. They are always inflated. :)

:D :D :D

Soapweed said:
katrina said:
Soap,

If you got one that filled with Helium you wouldn't land so hard. :wink:

Maybe just float home, :wink:

Like the Goodyear blimp. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry :oops:

The Devil made me do it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts