• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Early December 2014

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Coyotehunters800x600_zpsb9e58f3d.jpg

Coyote hunters
Bigandbad800x600_zps3ec13ef1.jpg

Big bad truck seen in town
Youbeenfarminlong600x800_zps098fe3c4.jpg

You been farming long?
Storytime800x600_zps820b1b75.jpg

Story time
Buildingwindbreak600x800_zps25bf8655.jpg

Building windbreaks
Twohardworkingfellers800x600_zps098c412d.jpg

Two hard working fellers
Moonovertheranchogrande800x600_zps9049d508.jpg

Moon over the rancho grande
Adarkerversion600x800_zps42a7bda9.jpg

A darker version
Theshadowsarelonglateintheday800x600_zpsbeeee02e.jpg

The shadows are long late in the day.
Windmillsilhouette800x600_zps8f208947.jpg

Windmill silhouette
Shadowofafeedoutfit800x600_zps241191de.jpg

Shadow of a feed outfit
Lateafternoonbaleyardglow800x600_zpsb19013ac.jpg

Late afternoon baleyard
Lateintheday800x600_zps429bf0b9.jpg

Late in the day
Spinnersandlights800x600_zps09b12729.jpg

Spinners and lights
Moseyingaroundcleaningupcake800x600_zps0f4afc4f.jpg

Moseying around cleaning up cake
Theonethatbrungmetothedance800x600_zps4e3fea20.jpg

The one that brung me to the dance.
Charlie600x800_zpsb8b4890c.jpg

Charlie
HeandIareoftenatcardiacrehabatthesametime800x600_zpse4090603.jpg

He and I are often at cardiac rehab at the same time.
Lauriecracksthewhipandkeesushopping800x600_zps35c89f24.jpg

Laurie cracks the whip and keeps us on the move.

Thanks Soapweed, for your tenacity in keeping us supplied with photos of another land.

I may have to tackle photobucket again and pay you back.

Farmerkuk said:
windbreaks look nice!!

Where is the the iron coming from?

The only place in western Nebraska and southwest South Dakota where I could find any windbreak steel, was, believe it or not, in Harrison, Nebraska. It is a little bitty town in the far northwestern part of the state, but Herren Brothers Hardware has a big inventory of just about anything a ranch would need. I was able to buy 40 sections of 20' steel (40 inches wide) and 40 6"x12' posts. The Kosmo Kid and his accomplice got that all put in, so I went back to Harrison last week for more windbreak supplies.

gcreekrch said:
Thanks Soapweed, for your tenacity in keeping us supplied with photos of another land.

I may have to tackle photobucket again and pay you back.

That would be great, Gcreek. Photobucket isn't that hard to figure out, or I'd never be able to put up pictures. I always like to see pictures that other people post. It's like taking a ranch tour without spending much on gas. :)

The windbreak sheets measure 20' 2" L by 3' 7.5" W hung. We start by setting our first post and our last post in our line making sure that they are level and the correct heighth. Then we work in sections hanging only the bottom sheet of tin the first time around. If your posts are the same height and level you can measure 3' 9.5" from the top of the post and make a mark signifying where you want your bottom sheet to begin. This accounts for 3' 7.5" of tin with a 2" gap between sheets. After phase one we have our posts 20' 2" (center to center) apart with bottom sheet hung and a hole dug (no post yet) at 10' 1" directly in the middle.

After phase one we set our middle support posts making sure they are the same heighth and level with our subsequent posts. Then using bent yellow rake teeth hooked in a chain and the loader bucket, we hang our top sheets of tin. Once the tin is against your posts; you measure the space between top and bottom (if any depending on personal preference), lag the top corners first and bottom corners last. 3" by 3/8 lags work the best as 2.5" seemed too short and 3.5" split the posts.

It is a fairly simple procedure but extremely tedious at the same time. Dad and I had differing views with his second trip to Harrison. He looked at it as a tax deduction and new, nice-looking windbreak! I look at it as a lot of cold work a month before calving season...

Kosmo1 said:
The windbreak sheets measure 20' 2" L by 3' 7.5" W hung. We start by setting our first post and our last post in our line making sure that they are level and the correct heighth. Then we work in sections hanging only the bottom sheet of tin the first time around. If your posts are the same height and level you can measure 3' 9.5" from the top of the post and make a mark signifying where you want your bottom sheet to begin. This accounts for 3' 7.5" of tin with a 2" gap between sheets. After phase one we have our posts 20' 2" (center to center) apart with bottom sheet hung and a hole dug (no post yet) at 10' 1" directly in the middle.

After phase one we set our middle support posts making sure they are the same heighth and level with our subsequent posts. Then using bent yellow rake teeth hooked in a chain and the loader bucket, we hang our top sheets of tin. Once the tin is against your posts; you measure the space between top and bottom (if any depending on personal preference), lag the top corners first and bottom corners last. 3" by 3/8 lags work the best as 2.5" seemed too short and 3.5" split the posts.

It is a fairly simple procedure but extremely tedious at the same time. Dad and I had differing views with his second trip to Harrison. He looked at it as a tax deduction and new, nice-looking windbreak! I look at it as a lot of cold work a month before calving season...

My Dad used to "let" me haul manure from the corral to the garden with a pitchfork and wheel barrow. Said it built more character than doing it with a loader tractor. I feel your pain. :wink: [/b]

Cows and wind fence looks great. :D

Nice pictures, Soap. Those grandbabies are top notch. Nothing compares to them! No comment on the first picture. Coyote hunters aren't a friend of mine. They have caused more property damage around here than the varmint they hunt. Hope they have better manners in your area.

Kosmo1 said:

Somebody has to do it..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Faster horses said:
Kosmo1 said:

Somebody has to do it..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Cold work :???:

You didn't even have ear flaps down, insulated Carharts or Felt pack boots. :roll:

Looked like summer time down there. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yea where are your mitts? :lol:

Hi Soap and Kosmo A few questions on the steel windbreak panels What gauge are they and can they stand up to cattle rubbing on them. How much do they cost and does anyone know where you can get them in ND or Mt.We live NW of Minot ND just inside Can. Thanks .

Hi Soap and Kosmo A few questions on the steel windbreak panels What gauge are they and can they stand up to cattle rubbing on them. How much do they cost and does anyone know where you can get them in ND or Mt.We live NW of Minot ND just inside Can. Thanks .

These panels are fairly durable, but I don't know the gauge. They are 20' long and 44" wide. Each steel panel cost $130, and the 12' x 6" posts were $41 each. It works good to set a line post on the outside edge of a windbreak, next to the big post to keep cattle from rubbing on the edge. Otherwise, they seem to last pretty well. I have no idea if there are any dealers in your area. It was hard enough finding anyone around here that had any for sale. Herron Brothers Hardware in Harrison, Nebraska is where we got these.

Back when I used to work construction on industrial and commercial projects, they used a lot of B-Decking. Looks really similar to those panels but a tough thicker. They pour concrete over B-deck on the floors of office buildings or schools. Should last a while but I am not sure what it would cost. Just thought that may be another option

Soapweed said:

These panels are fairly durable, but I don't know the gauge. They are 20' long and 44" wide. Each steel panel cost $130, and the 12' x 6" posts were $41 each. It works good to set a line post on the outside edge of a windbreak, next to the big post to keep cattle from rubbing on the edge. Otherwise, they seem to last pretty well. I have no idea if there are any dealers in your area. It was hard enough finding anyone around here that had any for sale. Herron Brothers Hardware in Harrison, Nebraska is where we got these.

Maybe Archer feeds outside of Plentywood might have some. If I could find a Greeter i could get you the number. :D

We built some like that years ago and the cattle were pretty hard on them from rubbing. We took old irrigation pipe and attached that to the "valley" of the steel as a bumper to help reinforce the windbreak. Since that time the shelter belt has grown up enough so we took the windbreak down. Tree groves have much less maintainance.

Latest posts