• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

early grazing?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hayguy

Reaction score
while some are talking of ways to extend the gazing season with swath,bale,bunch grazing, and others are talking of feeding for the next 5 1/2 months, i am wondering what can be done to give us the earliest grazing possible? short of global warming melting all the snow in Jan, :lol:

We underseed fall rye in our swath grazing which is great and the other thing that is probably a blasphemy is crested wheat. It is a fantastic grass.
The other spring thing that works well is stockpiled grass from the year before, just have to move the cattle a bit quicker so they don't damage the green underneath.

I see corn stalks field full of TURNIPS WEST OF ME ....I think I will try tht next year...does anybody else plant for fall grazing ?

RSL said:
We underseed fall rye in our swath grazing which is great and the other thing that is probably a blasphemy is crested wheat. It is a fantastic grass.
The other spring thing that works well is stockpiled grass from the year before, just have to move the cattle a bit quicker so they don't damage the green underneath.

Well, my thoughts exactly on the crested and carryover old grass is great--plus, the dry matter will slow things down and add some energy. As far as eating it short, if you've got a field you've let get 'wolfy' it's a good time to get it cleaned up. And while we're 'blasphemin'--I LOVE cheat grass in the spring---and the better you nuke it, the better it is. Boizoski (sp) is another dandy, plus it's got some whack later in the yr.

Tall cool season bunch grasses act as a solar collector as they catch the low angle of the son in early spring. Here we see new growth around those plants weeks before shorter types of grass. In particular we see a lot of feed opportunities in Tall Wheatgrass stands that were un-grazed during the previous season.

Latest posts