• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Early October 2014

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
TheKosmoKidfoundanotherhomelesshat600x800_zps74224b0e.jpg

The Kosmo Kid took in another homeless hat.
Iitgiveshimacertaindignifiedlook600x800_zps2a398d59.jpg

It gives him a certain dignified look.
Butdidntseemtodomuchforme800x600_zps0343a553.jpg

But didn't seem to do much for me.
Andnowapipeforaprop600x800_zpsf41a8ead.jpg

And now a pipe for effect
Anoldwindchargerupinthehills800x600_zps32a465b9.jpg

An old windcharger up in the hills
Gatheringtwo-year-oldheifers800x600_zpsa30878e9.jpg

Gathering two-year-old heifers and their calves
Goingthroughagate800x600_zps9196a586.jpg

Going through a gate
Ontonewandbettergrass800x600_zps724c26c8.jpg

On to new and better grass
Bredheifers800x600_zps7da25757.jpg

Bred heifers
Acoupleoflivewires800x600_zps5c0c4b04.jpg

A couple of livewires
Rainbowacrossthemeadow800x600_zps132c4d7a.jpg

Rainbow across the meadow
Babysitting800x600_zpscc3168b7.jpg

Grandma with her youngsters
Lotsofkidsandareallivepuppy600x800_zps71657648.jpg

Lots of kids and a real live puppy
Gettingacquainted600x800_zps146acde6.jpg

Getting acquainted
Hayhaulerinaction800x600_zps1c451c76.jpg

Hay hauler in action
Almostunloaded800x600_zps02bb5668.jpg

Almost unloaded
Readytosortsteercalvesfromheifercalves800x600_zps10b9cc6e.jpg

Ready to sort steer calves from heifer calves
Horsesworkthebest800x600_zps5d987b36.jpg

Horses work the best
KosmoKidworkingtheherd800x600_zps7dab4735.jpg

Kosmo Kid working the herd

Good to see you horseback.Those grandkids look like alot of fun. Ours is in kindergarden now and his mom works nights as does most everyone here so he spends the night and I get him off on the bus. Thought I was done doing that. congrats on your calf sale WOW!!!!

Family, country and cattle are looking great Soap. Glad you're spending some time on horseback these days.

Sorting cattle horseback, one of my very most favorite things!

You do look funny in that hat!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Things are lively at your place. That's ok, keeps you young!

Cattle look great. Thanks for the pictures.
Now I have to find the thread where you sold your calves...I'm
sure congratulations are in order!

Thanks for the nice comments. We enjoy our grandkids, and do feel very blessed.

Faster horses: http://valentinelivestock.net/docs/market_reports/2014/oct9mr.pdf

Richardd, the hay hauler has chains which run on the steel beams. It is powered hydraulically.

bales in this country don't
seem to wanna keep stacked
like that
nice rig tho

that 13 cow seems surprised
to see you out there

Soapweed said:
Thanks for the nice comments. We enjoy our grandkids, and do feel very blessed.

Faster horses: http://valentinelivestock.net/docs/market_reports/2014/oct9mr.pdf

Richardd, the hay hauler has chains which run on the steel beams. It is powered hydraulically.

Totally. AWESOME! Betcha never thought you'd see the day...
CONGRATULATIONS to you all!

The pics of the kids and their puppy reminds me of when our now 30 year old grandson got his first puppy from his great grandma. The kid and the pup spent at least a year fighting and biting each other before they really fell in love with one another. Sad thing is the pup got run over about a year after they got attached. He did soon get another one, but wasn't the same for a long time.

We are waiting 'patiently' for our second great grand girl. Her two and a half year old sister will be sooooo excited to finally see her little sister, as will all of us!

mrj

ps, it just takes away from the ambience when the hat covers the eyes, no matter how nice that hat may be!!!

Shortgrass said:
Do you load that bale truck with a tractor?

When the bales are piled correctly, the truck can just back under the whole load. The chains revolve around the beam. As the truck backs under the bales, they are pulled on with the chains. Arriving at the new location, the process is reversed to unload. The truck belongs to a friend, and each year I hire him to haul the bales from our neighbor's ranch. This year, he hauled us 29 loads.

mrj said:
ps, it just takes away from the ambience when the hat covers the eyes, no matter how nice that hat may be!!!

I don't know much about ambience, but if I keep blundering around with that hat down over my eyes, I might need an ambulance. :wink:

Soapweed said:
Shortgrass said:
Do you load that bale truck with a tractor?

When the bales are piled correctly, the truck can just back under the whole load. The chains revolve around the beam. As the truck backs under the bales, they are pulled on with the chains. Arriving at the new location, the process is reversed to unload. The truck belongs to a friend, and each year I hire him to haul the bales from our neighbor's ranch. This year, he hauled us 29 loads.

mrj said:

I don't know much about ambience, but if I keep blundering around with that hat down over my eyes, I might need an ambulance. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's partly what makes you so popular here, Soap...you can laugh at yourself...and it gives us a chuckle too. :D

Still on the hay hauler.
I am thinking the chains have spurs on them and that there are 2 chains per row of bales.
Would have loved to have seen a video of it in action.

Richardd said:
Still on the hay hauler.
I am thinking the chains have spurs on them and that there are 2 chains per row of bales.

There are eight beams on the hay mover, all with chains. Thus there are four chains per row of bales. Yes, there are "spurs" on half the length of the revolving chain. These spurs need to be properly place at the back before starting to load a pile, but if all goes well they go and come with the loading and unloading. Take note of how the bales are stacked. In this manner, it is easier on both chains and the twine or net-wrap. The mover hauls 26 bales this way. It can haul three more bales (29) piled in cylinder form, but since there are only two chains per row standing the strain, it is harder on both chains and twine.

Congrats Soap a great sale day for sure😀

Great photos of family and ranch and some from horseback as well.
I sure do miss my horses... It just isn't the same on a mechanical one.

Richardd said:
Still on the hay hauler.

I didn't look closely, but I'm pretty certain that's just a cotton module truck. That's how they get the modules from the field to the gin.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cotton+module+truck&biw=1600&bih=697&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VN5MVLijGo288QHysYGgDA&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Latest posts