• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Easy Way to Comment on Proposed EPA Cow Tax

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WyomingRancher

Reaction score
Nicky passed this information on to me today. I've seen it discussed someplace on Ranchers before, but this includes a link to a simple form to fill-out and e-mail to oppose this tax :wink: :

COW TAX PROPOSAL WOULD THREATEN AGRICULTURE VIABILITY

"With the economy in bad shape and the possibility of a deep recession looming, the Environmental Protection Agency is proposing to levy new taxes—on cows and pigs," American Farm Bureau Federation Director of Regulatory Relations Rick Krause told Wyoming Farm Bureau members at their annual meeting. Krause spoke in Sheridan on Nov. 7.

"This is no laughing matter," Krause said. "The cow tax and the pig tax are parts of a larger scheme by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to regulate greenhouse gases under the Clean Air Act."

"Under the proposal, if a state charged the "presumptive minimum rate" from the EPA, the cow tax would be $175 per dairy cow, $87.50 per head for beef cattle and a little more than $20 per pig," Krause explained.

Fight the Cow Tax" comment deadline

COW AND PIG TAX –TALKING POINTS

The Environmental Protection Agency issued an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking seeking public comment on whether it is appropriate to regulate greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from automobiles under the Clean Air Act. In order to regulate automobile emissions, the EPA would first have to make a finding that greenhouse gases endanger public health and safety and should be classified as a "pollutant."

"Greenhouse gases" are those alleged to contribute to global warming. The major greenhouse gases are carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxides, while hydroflorocarbons comprise a smaller amount.

The problem with this approach is that once an endangerment finding is made, other provisions of the Clean Air Act are automatically triggered, creating much broader regulation of other sectors of the economy, including agriculture. One such unintended consequence for agriculture is the imposition of the cow and pig tax.

Once an endangerment finding is made, Title V of the Clean Air Act is automatically triggered. Title V requires that any entity emitting more than 100 tons per year of a regulated pollutant must obtain a permit in order to continue to operate. EPA has no choice but to require these permits once an endangerment finding is made.
For previously regulated pollutants, 100 tons is a large enough threshold that only the large emitters are covered. For greenhouse gases, the situation is much different. There are hundreds of thousands of entities that emit more than 100 tons of greenhouse gases and would be required to obtain permits. Virtually all segments of the economy will be required to obtain permits.
Unlike other sectors, agriculture emits relatively more methane and nitrous oxide GHG than carbon dioxide. Both are more potent than carbon dioxide, so less emission of both will produce the equivalent of one ton of carbon dioxide.
USDA has stated that any operation with more than 25 dairy cows, 50 beef cattle or 200 hogs emits more than 100 tons of carbon and would have to obtain permits under Title V in order to continue to operate if GHG are regulated. According to USDA statistics, this would cover about 99 percent of dairy production, over 90 percent of beef production, and over 95 percent of all hog production in the United States.
Title V is administered by the states, and permit fees (tax) varies from state to state. EPA sets a "presumptive minimum rate" for permits, and that rate is $43.75 per ton for 2008-2009. For states charging that rate, the cow tax for dairy would be $175 per cow, for beef $87.50 per head, and the pig tax would be a little more than $20 per hog.
The following talking points may explain why the cow tax and the pig tax should be opposed.

The cow and pig tax will impose a significant added cost for dairy, beef and hog producers that cannot easily be absorbed. Imposition of the tax will likely cause many operators to go out of business.
The cow and pig tax will have adverse economic consequences for other sectors of agriculture as well as for all segments of society. It will result in higher prices for dairy, beef and pork food products. It will impose added costs on other sectors of the economy that will be passed on to consumers.
Greenhouse gas regulation under the Clean Air Act will adversely impact all farmers and ranchers. Crop production emits nitrous oxide from fertilizer and methane from rice production, and fields that emit 100 tons of carbon would be subject to Title V permitting requirements as well. Emissions from farm machinery and energy used in production might also be added. Regulation of other economic sectors will result in increased fuel, fertilizer and energy costs for all farmers and ranchers.
The cow tax and the pig tax do not grant the producer anything new. The Title V permit only allows the producer to continue operating.
Emissions from cows and pigs are the result of natural and biological processes. The tax is imposed on what cows and pigs do naturally. There is no known technology to control many of these biological processes.
The environmental benefits meant to be achieved through the cow and pig tax and general regulation of greenhouse gases will be minimal or non-existent. Unlike other regulated pollutants, greenhouse gases are global in scope and distribute evenly across the planet. A ton emitted in Iowa has the same impact as a ton emitted in China. Regulating that ton in Iowa has no environmental impact if that ton in China is not also regulated. The net effect of the cow and pig tax, and regulation of greenhouse gases generally under the Clean Air Act, will be to impose restrictions and added costs on the U.S. economy without reducing greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

This link will direct you to an easy form to fill out to oppose this tax: Comments are due THIS FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 28! I was number 12,698, to oppose :), what will your number be???

http://www.stopepa.com

Faster horses said:
I was 12842---

Thanks for the link!!!!!!!!!

Sure, but Jassy and Nicky are the ones to thank for the information, all I did was post it here :D . I just hope people take the two minutes it takes to fill in the form if they support the cause!

"Once an endangerment finding is made, Title V of the Clean Air Act is automatically triggered. Title V requires that any entity emitting more than 100 tons per year of a regulated pollutant must obtain a permit in order to continue to operate. EPA has no choice but to require these permits once an endangerment finding is made."

It would only be fair to define the Game and Fish as an "entity" needing to permit and pay for the "pollution" the public's wildlife produce if this were to be imposed. I guess we could slaughter the diseased elk and bison herds in Yellowstone to help defray the cost of permitting the public's wildlife :?

I was 13380! This is so stupid its amazing! Tell all your friends, co-workers, neighbors, even strangers! Wonder what these folks plan to eat after we all get run outa buisness?

13772 But I also emailed the contact person listed on the epa form.
Yeah the other site is very hard to get around But I didnt want to take a chance.

Latest posts