• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Effects of different pasture/hay field management techniques

Help Support Ranchers.net:

DiamondSCattleCo said:
RobertMac said:
Rod, why are you punishing your cows that stayed in the 6 week window? If they can do it, why shouldn't all of them? Cull from the 6-9 week group and replace them with heifers from the 1-6 week group. Using bulls you raise, will also improve adaptation of the herd.

I guess I don't really look at feeding an all natural mineral balanced for the mineral deficiencies in our soil as punishing my critters. While I understand the desire to keep only the most fertile animals, I also understand that our soil is deficient in certain minerals, as such, those minerals need to be supplemented to ensure that the product I am creating for my customers and my family is of the healthiest and highest quality that I can produce. For example, we are Selenium deficient up here. Since a bovine's body cannot produce this mineral through synthesis of other minerals, but rather deposits it through intake, that means a non-supplemented beef in my area will not be an excellent source of selenium for my children and my customers. I guess I don't really have any proof of my theory, since I haven't seen nutritional analyses done on non-supplemented versus supplemented beef, but if the body can't create it, it has to get there somehow.

Rod
Rod, I'm in a Selenium deficient area myself. I haven't supplemented with any Selenium in over five years. My cattle and beef are the healthiest and highest quality they have ever been. The point is that some of your cattle CAN metabolize what they need out of what your land and forage have to offer. Keeping the ones that CAN and culling the ones that CAN'T is what adaptation is all about. Fertility is the most sensitive indicator of those that can or can't.
Not trying to run your business, just something to think about. :wink: :)

RobertMac said:
The point is that some of your cattle CAN metabolize what they need out of what your land and forage have to offer.

RM, you and I are talking about 2 different things. You're talking about efficient animals that need minimal inputs to thrive (something I strive for everytime I cull), and I'm talking about whats actually in the beef.

All I'm saying is that since a cows body can't create selenium by combining other minerals/proteins together (which it can't), the only way you'll get selenium into your butchered beef is if the cow has ate it. Just out of curiosity, have you ever sent in any of your cuts for nutritional analysis? Its doggoned expensive, but I've always wanted to send in cuts from a supplemented feeder versus a non-supplemented feeder and see what the total difference is.

Rod

Latest posts