• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Efficient Cattle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sandhusker

Reaction score
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Rancher John Barnum is trying to build a herd of cattle that sounds like something out of a dieter's nightmare:

They eat less, but they still get fat.

That trait is increasingly seen as a key to staying in business for ranchers reeling from the effects of high-priced corn.

"We're hoping it'll make us more profitable in the long run," said Barnum, 23, who manages a family ranch in the rangelands of northeastern California.

Last year, the ethanol boom drove the price of corn up nearly 65 percent over six months, sending feed, the cattle business's main expense, soaring. Meanwhile, the price of those animals at slaughter has hardly budged.

In response, many ranchers are hoping to trim their costs by looking at "feed efficiency," a measure of how effectively an animal turns grass or corn into muscle and fat. Ideally, with a higher-efficiency herd, a rancher saves on feed costs but ends up with the same amount of marketable beef.

It's yet another way that high prices for global commodities, from petroleum to grains to milk powder, are altering the economics of food production.

And it's accelerating a move away from a 50-year trend toward larger but generally less-efficient animals.

For the first time, breeding bulls are being marketed for their efficiency, not just their size and pedigree, said David Daley, a cattle expert at California State University, Chico.

"We started realizing that there's also the issue of how much feed does it take to get all those pounds, and maybe big isn't better," said Glenn Nader, a livestock adviser with University of California Cooperative Extension.

The potential for improvement is dramatic. Researchers at the University of California, Davis, have found that some steers beat the average by nearly 30 percent, though others have had improvements closer to 10 percent.

Jim Oltjen, a UC Davis animal nutrition expert, said a typical steer will eat 20 to 25 pounds of feed — mostly corn — and gain 3 to 4 pounds during each day of the typical three- to four-month stay at a feedlot.

Major cattle-feeding operations are installing electronic systems to monitor how much each animal eats and how much weight it gains. That information feeds into breeding programs aimed at producing more efficient cattle in subsequent generations.

GrowSafe Systems Ltd., based in Alberta, Canada, says its sales of efficiency-monitoring systems to commercial cattle operations have doubled in the past year.

One of the company's customers is Harris Feeding Co., which runs the 120,000-animal feedlot visible from Interstate 5 near Coalinga, Calif.

Harris last year launched a program aimed at improving its purebred Angus cattle. For years, the animals were bred for size and meat quality, but the ranchers selling to the firm became concerned that they were missing out on other desirable traits that affect the bottom line, including calf survival rates and, especially, feed efficiency.

"It's a major driver in terms of profitability," said Mike Smith, the company's director of special projects.

But there are trade-offs. While the first generation of steers in the program showed significant efficiency improvements, Smith said the grade of their meat — prime, choice or select — dropped significantly. Smith said it wasn't clear whether the lower-quality end product canceled out the savings on feed.

Unlike Harris, which owns most of the cattle on its lot, most U.S. feeding operations sell "room and board" to animals that still belong to the ranchers who raised them.

That system sets up a tension: Ranchers want to pay as little to feedlots as possible, but they've only got so much grass to feed cattle. With a higher-efficiency herd, a rancher can produce bigger, fatter cattle on grass that require less time at the feedlot to reach slaughter weight.

"What the price of corn does is add value to our grass," said Steve Nash, a rancher in Etna, Calif.

For producers of grass-finished beef, who don't feed their animals any corn at all, high-efficiency cattle are especially attractive. These producers need their animals to mature and get fat without the huge caloric input that they'd get on a feedlot.

What makes an efficient cow? Oltjen, the Davis animal nutrition expert, said researchers and breeders all over the world have been looking for answers, but it's been hard to isolate any single factor.

Smaller breeds tend to be more feed-efficient, he said, but that's not always the case. Other factors range from the natural variation in the size of an animal's liver to the way it absorbs certain nutrients. Some low-efficiency animals, he said, might simply be gluttons, eating more than their digestive systems can handle and eliminating the rest.

In any case, he said, it appears that efficiency is a trait that's passed on genetically, so concentrated breeding programs may be able to yield significant gains.

The opening of this article points to the fact that the beef industry has not pointed out, as RM and others have done, that you can't lump fat into one category. I believe personally that the grass fed beef is a far superior product because of a lot of reasons, mainly the ones RM has pointed out. Nutritionists will tell you that fats from say avocados is much better than fat from trans fats the food industry used to make products that do better sitting on the shelf. This little bit of information has drastically changed the fat mix that is available on the market. My wife buys canola oil for this very reason. I cook with olive oil for this very reason. If I could get real grass fed dairy products, I would use more real butter.

Sure this comes at the expense of corn fed cattle, but now, just as in energy options, the economics have changed. Cheap corn is not as available.

We need to always have a diverse set of genetics in our cattle so that we can produce the most efficient, delicious, and nutritious products to sell to the consumers, and to eat ourselves. These smaller cattle that put on fat easier are one good way to do this. They did this in years past and now, like fashion, it is coming back (that is was also the strategy used by CAB, although it has been watered down in meaning).

If, as cattlemen, we worry about lbs. at weaning instead of lbs. per acre, we miss one of our true economic advantages---that cattle turn grass into something good to eat. Worrying about fat and not what kind of fat has the same result.

We have to use our advertising dollars to increase the awareness of these issues in the consumer's eye. RM, and others are doing just that---and making a good profit at it.

I remember this being a problem over 20 years ago when I was in FFA. At all the big livestock shows, the cattle winning those shows were largely very big black animals. I think the top was a black Chi cross.

I always had pens of commercial cattle that were judged on real efficiency factors.

Show cattle that perform for packers and cattle that are profitable for the average producer who sells for meat are two vastly different things. Cattlemen need to look to their own bottom line.

Hope I don't step on old RM's toes with this one but ----- I actually prefer to eat a beast with a little grain fed in it's finishing diet. I will not argue the health benefits but will say that there are ways within a grain fed diet to increase CLA and the other good trans fatty acids that help protect us from those mean old things like cancer.

Our federal research center here at Lacombe Ab. has shown that adding sunflowers to the diet (15%) near the end of the feeding term can cause a substantial increase in CLA etc. They are currently seeking government grant money to work with yours truly on a commercial beef level. Something that should be happening with CCA money.

The other thing about grass fed that bothers me up here in the great white north is my ability to compete with RM or the South Americans on the expense side of the ledger.

We have been identifying genetics that suit the grass fed market with our herd for years, and the wonderful part about that is that it doesn't take much grain to put a nice white fat on in the end. Just think what we will accomplish when we prove that we can adjust the "GOOD" trans fatty acids on top of all of this.

As for feed efficiency - don't mean to be a "done it all" kind of guy, but we spent a lot of money on them their grow safe programs in the early part of this new century. When four of the top five bulls in one of the trials we entered turned up to be Welsh Black bulls, we knew we were on to something. Yes sireeeee red and black Angus, and Hereford were in the pen with us and the continentals were in the pen beside us who couldn't even come close to the numbers on the British side. After 4 years of testing I decided that this tool, was only one of a number of tools concerning efficiency and sustainable genetics that I would use. For one thing, the grow safe program identified some bulls with a little too much round muscle for my liking which often translates into fertility challenges.

Can't wait for that border to open so that we can find a few American entrepreneurs to share the benefits of the work we have been doing on this little "diamond in the rough" herd for the past 18 years. :)

rkaiser said:
Hope I don't step on old RM's toes with this one but ----- I actually prefer to eat a beast with a little grain fed in it's finishing diet. I will not argue the health benefits but will say that there are ways within a grain fed diet to increase CLA and the other good trans fatty acids that help protect us from those mean old things like cancer.

Our federal research center here at Lacombe Ab. has shown that adding sunflowers to the diet (15%) near the end of the feeding term can cause a substantial increase in CLA etc. They are currently seeking government grant money to work with yours truly on a commercial beef level. Something that should be happening with CCA money.

The other thing about grass fed that bothers me up here in the great white north is my ability to compete with RM or the South Americans on the expense side of the ledger.

We have been identifying genetics that suit the grass fed market with our herd for years, and the wonderful part about that is that it doesn't take much grain to put a nice white fat on in the end. Just think what we will accomplish when we prove that we can adjust the "GOOD" trans fatty acids on top of all of this.

As for feed efficiency - don't mean to be a "done it all" kind of guy, but we spent a lot of money on them their grow safe programs in the early part of this new century. When four of the top five bulls in one of the trials we entered turned up to be Welsh Black bulls, we knew we were on to something. Yes sireeeee red and black Angus, and Hereford were in the pen with us and the continentals were in the pen beside us who couldn't even come close to the numbers on the British side. After 4 years of testing I decided that this tool, was only one of a number of tools concerning efficiency and sustainable genetics that I would use. For one thing, the grow safe program identified some bulls with a little too much round muscle for my liking which often translates into fertility challenges.

Can't wait for that border to open so that we can find a few American entrepreneurs to share the benefits of the work we have been doing on this little "diamond in the rough" herd for the past 18 years. :)

Good points, rkaiser.

I hope you are always the exception to the rule.

I happen to be from the South where a lot of the time the primary growing season is the winter for cattle. You have to make it work for you where you are and the climate you have. Obviously it is easier to finish a steer out on grass in the winter in the south, not an option up there. Although we still have people who make hay in the South, it can more easily be looked at as a hedge against poor weather or even a dry summer. It is easier on the cattle to finish in the winter in the south.

Isn't this similar to the Pharo cattle program? Another consideration Re the different climatic zones,is that of having to use different breeds or composites, there will never be a one breed fits all environments even thogh we all like to believe our personal choice of breed will. Different lines for grass fed and corn finished will also need to be considered, while my herd does well on grass, and has a high feed conversion on concentrates, as a pure breed they are slower growing than the popular British breeds, so may not fit into some feeding programs from a timeframe aspect unless only F1 steers are fed, and fullbloods used for grass based forage systems.

Most all of the cattle in our beef program are F1's andybob and we suggest that the dam is, at the very least, half british. Our whole manual is on our website.

As far as environment and composite breeds. I do not have ambitions like Kit. Only one family to feed and very happy with that and my home. I do however think that this breed deserves a better look than it has been getting as likely yours does too. I can't understand the fantasy of Angus followers sometimes except that the answer to that is the 8th word of this very sentence. Lots of other breeds of cattle that can not only fit niche markets but fit conventional markets as well or better.

rKaiser, my grandad in Scotland bred Angus which were sold, barley finished as "Scotch Beef" at a premium, but out on the moors his small herd of 'Belties' thrived on the poor forage, in all weather and with no supplimentary grain, I think that they probably gave me my fascination for environmently adapted breeds, and an appreciation for the merits each breed brings to the commercial cattlebreeder depending on heterosis and blending breed traits to maximise their returns. I agree that to attain the quality of beef required in todays market, that a good percentage of British beef breeds is desireable.

Have any of the Albeta residents had a chance to see the Bonsmara herd belonging to Dr Gordon Strick? having an adapted composite certainly gives some wider choices to exploit a higher degree of heterosis.

Now I get where you were coming at with the environment factor andybob. Had to look up those Bonsmara cattle on a google search. Looks to me like we may have to stay up here in the north and northern states with our Welsh Blacks and you may have to sell yours in the south. Not to say that a composite with our two breeds may not work. we have had cattle shipped as far as Mexico and had a fellow in the high country of Arizona quite happy with the Welsh Blacks. Told us that the thick hide was actually a benefit with the bugs. Don't think that eared cattle will do much up here in Alberta Andybob - know one or two guys with Brahman but mostly crossing for rodeo stock. If we put some hair on them Bonsmara mind you ---- .

I breed heat resistant Bos Taurus Sanga cattle, the Tuli which was developed in my home country, while there are three large Tuli herd in Canada, I still consider them as being a heat and parasite resistant breed, http://www.tuli.co.za/
The Bonsmara being Afrikana based does not have the typical Brahman ears and dewlap, and so does better in cold climates. Gordon has been breeding his herd imported from his origional herd in South Africa, for several years now and they do well outside in cold weather, the British content no doubt contributes to this. I have used Sussex and North Devon for crossing in the past as both these do well in the tropics, their thick skin being a big plus with the external parasite problems there.
My first exposure to the Welsh Black was while I was in England, a friend is the silent partener in a breeding program in Wales, the cattle were impressive and it is unfortunate that I haven't had the chance to see other herds to see if the quality of these cattle is typical or exeptional.
More of the lesser known breeds are slowly beginning to make a comeback as low maintenence breeds with good feed conversion are being sought as a hedge against raising feed costs, I feel broadening the genetic base of the national herd can only be a positive move for the commercial breeder in any of the varied climatic zones represented in the USA and Canada.

"South Africa's Dr. Jan C. Bonsma is said to have labeled the Lasater Beefmaster herd as near perfection in functional efficiency."

__Weatern Livestock Journal, Sept. 1970

RobertMac said:
"South Africa's Dr. Jan C. Bonsma is said to have labeled the Lasater Beefmaster herd as near perfection in functional efficiency."

__Weatern Livestock Journal, Sept. 1970
Prof Bonsma was also very complimentary of the Santa Gertrudis, he studied the breeding program at King Ranch prior to developing the Bonsmara breed.
I have mentioned the Sussex on several occasions as possibly the most heat tolerant of the British breeds, we crossed with them extensively in southern Africa with exelent results; http://www.sussexcattlesociety.org.uk/index.htm
Worth a look at and possibly some discussion.

Latest posts