• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

ekectric fence questions

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mntngoat

Reaction score
I figured thsi would be the best place to get input on electric fencing.

I have a GSP that pulled himself over our 6' foot after standing on the compost bin and then dug under the neighbors fence, got out wandered the neighborhood before being taken in by a kind family. We cannot afford to risk him getting out again. and figured a hot wire would be the best thing, since he is climber and digger.

I poured a 12" deep footer below the one fence he dug under before. I cannot dig up my neighbors yard to place a footer here.

We have about 400 LF of fence I had planned on energizing with a low wire and another closer to the top to limit the jumping.

can anyone recommend a good fencer for this use?

ML

I'm assuming a GSP is a dog? If so, PetSafe makes some good products. I have used their invisible fence with the shock collars with great success. If you are in town you will likely want a buried perimeter wire with the shock collar.

www.petsafe.net

Yes. GSP is a german shorthaired pointer. Rex is a 70 lb great hunting dog but when bored as when we are at work during the day and left to his own devices bad things can happen. the pet safe ones don't seem to have enough stimulant. The e collar i use with him for training, takes fairly sharp nick to get his attention.

ML

Use a good charger and put one wire about 6" above the ground and another about 18"

To train the dog put him on a nylon ( non conductive ) rope and place his food and water right at the fence.

You will need the rope as he might jump thru the fence the first time or two but most adult dogs can be trained to this fence in less than a day.

For dogs you can get by with one of the cheap buzz chargers that don't work well for cattle.

I put a fence like this up in Indianapolis at my brothers house and a few of the neighbors complained at first but then got to love it as stray dogs left the neighborhood and quit getting in flowerbeds and trash cans.

Make sure you put in a gate the dog can recognise so that he can come and go when you want him to.

Latest posts