• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Electric Branding Iron

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We've got one that we've used for 7-8 years now-- love it...
Altho ours is a different make:
http://www.lhbrandingirons.com/

We've got a couple electrics covering our own brands and find electric's easier to maintain proper heat. They do a good job.
Our local feeder association goes through quite a few irons (misuse, abuse etc. :? ) and we've found that L&H irons (North Dakota ??) stand up better than the El Toro's.

Our El Toro has branded over 1500 head now and is still working fine. Like the electric much better than the propane torch roaring in my ears.

gcreekrch said:
Our El Toro has branded over 1500 head now and is still working fine. Like the electric much better than the propane torch roaring in my ears.
Same here, several years of quiet trouble free service.

Like them a lot--i got 2 identical.

If cows are haired up, really helps to clip.

Less extension cord, the better.

Calves usually flinch, if you take iron off, sometimes hard to get back on with all characters in same place. If you kinda start with top edge, let 'em flinch and continue 'rolling' it down, it kinda helps.

I usually have like a little brass brush, helps to brush irons as needed.

We love them over propane or wood fired heated ones. We also clip the cows unless summer coat but don't need to clip calves. We used to have slippage problems too but solved them by wrapping mechanics wire around the business end so it looks a little like ready rod and it really helped.

I have electric and a couple fire heated irons as well. The electric works great on big stuff, but i like a little smaller brand on calves. Plus woodsmoke is an important part of branding day. :D

I have never heard of the El Toro's, but like my L&H electric branding irons. I got my ranch brand, a complete number set and a horn burner from them. I'll have fire irons also if I ever get my blacksmith shop up and running.

They also come in handy when redoing or changing out hondas on ropes and making horse halters.

R A said:
I have never heard of the El Toro's, but like my L&H electric branding irons. I got my ranch brand, a complete number set and a horn burner from them. I'll have fire irons also if I ever get my blacksmith shop up and running.

i like to use the outer race of a tapered bearing for making irons. the thin face is about right for the face, the back, being thicker, really holds the heat and gives you a dandy to weld handle too. like to start handle with round stock that'll slip into a half inch pipe, drill quite a few holes in the pipe, it kinda disapates the handle heat. on the race, cut it once then about cherry red beat it straight, then shape. race is pretty neat steal for this, doesn't corrode easy, if you got a bar in your brand it's kinda almost slippery, easy to touch up characters with.

littlejoe said:
R A said:

i like to use the outer race of a tapered bearing for making irons. the thin face is about right for the face, the back, being thicker, really holds the heat and gives you a dandy to weld handle too. like to start handle with round stock that'll slip into a half inch pipe, drill quite a few holes in the pipe, it kinda disapates the handle heat. on the race, cut it once then about cherry red beat it straight, then shape. race is pretty neat steal for this, doesn't corrode easy, if you got a bar in your brand it's kinda almost slippery, easy to touch up characters with.

Thanks, littlejoe! I appreciate it! I'm looking forward to doing this! The electric irons are handy as heck, but I have to experience the making of the branding fire and using fire irons to brand my cattle. Goes with using a team to do everything and packing salt and mineral with mules and such that I want to be doing. I think I can picture what you said. Thanks again.

R A said:
littlejoe said:
R A said:

Thanks, littlejoe! I appreciate it! I'm looking forward to doing this! The electric irons are handy as heck, but I have to experience the making of the branding fire and using fire irons to brand my cattle. Goes with using a team to do everything and packing salt and mineral with mules and such that I want to be doing. I think I can picture what you said. Thanks again.
you're entirely welcome. i like a race that's maybe around 3" or so---with about 1/4" thick on narrow side. truck shop or implement dealer's iron pile might be good source. torch, welder,hammer , anvil---couple bucks worth of supplies and yer off to the races.....

Love it,compared to the propane torch.I won't even go to the brandings,where they still use a torch!!

We have had one for 2 years now and would hate to be without it, quite at branding, no roar of branding pot, no worry of a fire or exploding bottle, It L&H. Even made the soninlaw get one for his cows and calves

cowsense said:
We've got a couple electrics covering our own brands and find electric's easier to maintain proper heat. They do a good job.
Our local feeder association goes through quite a few irons (misuse, abuse etc. :? ) and we've found that L&H irons (North Dakota ??) stand up better than the El Toro's.

L & H is located in Mandan North Dakota.

We enjoy the convenience of electric branding irons. We usually use a big heavy extension cord that allows maximum heat. One slight problem with my son's Circle M (circle over the M) brand is that it runs too hot. The old Kosmo Kid though, is always thinking. He got a lighter extension cord for when that brand is used, and the problem was solved.

littlejoe said:
R A said:
littlejoe said:

you're entirely welcome. i like a race that's maybe around 3" or so---with about 1/4" thick on narrow side. truck shop or implement dealer's iron pile might be good source. torch, welder,hammer , anvil---couple bucks worth of supplies and yer off to the races.....

Thanks! You bet, I'll start seeing if I can start getting some old races the next time in town. I'm going to peck away at all the blacksmith stuff too as I can.

Latest posts