• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

electric vs. propane

Help Support Ranchers.net:

baling wire

Reaction score
Just need to pick a few brains on peoples opinions on electric vs. propane. Currently have a propane furnace in our house...and has gone belly up 19 days ago, long story. Waited many days for service tech to give us good answers, and just quit putting parts on the old carcass. We finally called for a second opinion and found out that balingwire was just about gassed. No wonder he had such bad headaches for 2 months. Now we are at the fork in the road and must decide wether to return to propane or consider electric. Have called a few neighbors to compare heating experiences. Our electric company is soon to have an increase as gas company will probably follow suit soon. We are living off of space heaters.

I just had this conversation about a boiler for my addition in floor heating.

An electric boiler would take a service of 240 volts and 60-100 amps. The 60 amp smaller boiler would heat the 960 sq feet, but no extra heat capacity.

Take amps times volts to get watts, and the numbers start spinning pretty fast.

The engineer said it works out about 3 to 1 cost for electric over gas.

I like electric for supplimental heat in bedrooms etc. but for main heat, I use wood. In your situation with the propane tank already there, get a high efficiency gas furnace.

buy blankets and snuggle!! I frequently turn off our heat just to get the wife a little closer!! it is a lot easier that the wine and dine approach.

electric heat in a power outage is very cold, at least with propane, a small generator will run the blower and heat the home

Afriend of mine put in electric heat they really put a selling on him he is switching it over to an outdoor wood boiler his electric bill is very VERY HIGH.

We have an outdoor wood boiler heats the house and shop we also have a wood fireplace and a high effiency gas furnace which at 30 below all 3 are working we also have another woodstove in the shop I dont like being cold.When I get done at the end of the day I'm in shorts and slippers and like an 80 degree house in the winter 65 in the summer :roll:

In our area, a lot of HVAC types have made a lot of money replacing electric heat with propane.

Some people were paying 500-1000 a month to heat with electricity.

Now with propane prices quite high, there is no where else to go except wood. I do know of one person who put a coal stoker furnace in his house over twenty hears ago and is still happy with it. But stoker coal has to be hauled a long way to get into the Denver area.

Always corn furnaces, lol... Seen some that work great and people are trying to sell me one... MY feeling is I have enough Oak trees here and there on this farm that I can take down myself and use that wood and not pay 4 bucks a bushel for corn thank you very much, lol. .

We are on Propane here for water and heat and oven and stove.. If it can be gas we use it because our electric charges are insane... I always though coop's are suppossed to save you money??

We have a heat pump with propane as a back up and I just love it...We can still use the stove top if the electricity goes out and we have a generator that will run our place......

Katrina; Tell us more about your heat pump.........do you use a deep well or buried ground loops? It's a higher initial cost but must be pretty cheap to run compared to gas or power.

Our house is 2500 sq. ft and all electric. Our highest bill in the winter is about $400 and averages about $250 in the summer. I suspect electric is higher and if you get ice storms you are always worried about loosing power for several days up to several weeks.

It's a train brand name.. The extra water goes into the sump- pump. No loops... Some run there extra water to the cattle waterers... We have a Lennox into town and we have put two compressors in it.. I don't think I would recemmend a Lennox....

Some Electric Cooperatives provide some deals on electric storage heat. They install an extra meter that measures electricity just for the storage heat. It only uses electricity in off peak hours, which is a cheaper rate. All different sizes and types. Nice looking units. Might want to check them out.

My house is about the same size as efb's. The Jan. electric bill was $90 I use all wood, no backup. By the pictures I see posted of Neb. wood may not be an option.

Frankk said:
My house is about the same size as efb's. The Jan. electric bill was $90 I use all wood, no backup. By the pictures I see posted of Neb. wood may not be an option.

Wood has always been scarce in this country, but the old-timers got by quite well burning cow chips. There still seems to be an adequate supply of these. :wink: :)

i have a corn furnace,much better then the stoves,when its really cold out it uses about a bushel a day,i have fuel oil backup whick i havent run for 3 years,even at 4 dollar corn its cheaper for me to use corn,the fuel used to take 5 gals per [email protected] is 10 bucks so the 4.00 corn is still cheaper

We heat our log house with a wood stove, with electric heat forced air furnace as a back-up. Our total bill for the whole ranch is seldom over $250 per month.
Just received word that a friend's propane blew up in their house and she is now in the hospital with severe burns.
We'd heard enough of these kinds of things over the years that we chose to go total electric. I'm scared of propane!!!

Danged computer ate my first post.
I have a 3 ton water to air, "Climate Master" heat pump. I am on my third winter with it.
For the last 3 months, I have used 4490 KWH electricity to heat the house as well as pumping all the water for the house and to water livestock. My Electricity cost about $.0541 per KWH less a electric heat credit of about $.012 which makes the final cost for heating $.042 per KWH or about $189 total for the last 3 months.
I grew up on wood heat, so like my house warm. Keep the Thermostat set on 78 and the house is exactly that at all times, no getting cold, the kicking on like at my neighbors house. The basement is cooler; I didn't have heat ducts in the house so ran a hot air duct down the length of the house with no open outlets in the basement. The return air goes down the basement stairs and back to the heat pump with no return duct. That keeps the basement warm enough to be if you are active or under a blanket.

I figure that if I want to cut wood, I can sell the wood, pay the electric bill and have money left over.
I use a pump and dump system. The water that goes through the heat pump goes into the water line feeding the cattle waters. I have a regulator that keeps 20 psi on the water line when the heat pump is off. When the heat pump kicks on, the full water psi is on the line. (40/60psi) Under one of the waters, I have a relief valve that dumps any water the cows don't drink when the line goes over 20 psi. I want to replace that valve with a water line that goes up a hill about 40 feet higher than the house and run the extra water into a large stock tank.

The only bad thing I can say about a ground source heat pump is the initial cost.

In the summer time I use the water to water the lawn when the air-conditioner is running.

You may have to heavy up your electrical service if you used a electric element for back up if the heat pump would kick out. If you already have a propane tank, it may be worth looking at some kind of gas heat for backup and keep it turned down so it never runs and use a heat pump without a back up element.
The heat pump itself don't use that much juice. The backup element is 10kw which wouldn't keep my house very warm in cold weather.

As for those people replacing electric resistive heat with propane, I wonder if they got their pencil upside down. Is electricity that much more expensive in other areas? I was talking to a hardware store owner who told me that he switched his store from natural gas to resistive electric heat and cut his heating cost $600 per month. I would think that propane would cost more than natural gas. When I was figuring out what to do, resistive heat figured cheaper than propane.

I kept the wood stove in the house for backup if the power ever goes out. I have ran it only 2 days since I got the heat pump going, then decided it was not worth the effort to keep it going.

If you are using electric space heaters now, you know how much it is costing you for resistive electric heat. Then if your supplier gives a electric heat credit, subtract that from your resistive heat bill. Divide that by 4 or 5 to figure out how much it would cost you to run a heat pump

Thanks for all the Info. After getting the bid of 2000 dollars just for the electrical service we are sticking with propane. I guess I should have been an electrical contracter .

We now use wood with electric and propane backup. Propane was in the house when we bought it. We installed the wood heaters. In our other farm house we had wood heat with oil backup. I like the wood heat.
For future use it might be wise to consider bioDiesel in an oil furnace if the cost of the bioDiesel is low enough or if you are making it yourself.

Like Katrina, lazy ace and I have a heat pump. We use the excess water to water cattle and horses. We have a decent sized (sorry don't remember how big...too damn big when cleaning :wink: ) house and I believe our highest electric bill was around $140. Not bad...lazy ace's brother has propane in his trailer, and it always a lot higher than that.

I, myself, am deathly scared of dieing from CO poisoning. It's nice to not have to worry about that with electricity.

I'll ask lazy ace to add more on....

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

Latest posts