• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Electrical Problems

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Manitoba_Rancher

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. On our feed mill we have an auger that takes the rolled grain away from the mill and into the feed bin. I have been having trouble with this auger for the last week it has not wanted to run. Every time I hit the switch for that auger it arcs against the hopper bin and kicks the breaker on the service. I ve looked for a broken ground but havent found one. Had a electrician look at it yesterday but he couldnt seem to find any problems. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. On our feed mill we have an auger that takes the rolled grain away from the mill and into the feed bin. I have been having trouble with this auger for the last week it has not wanted to run. Every time I hit the switch for that auger it arcs against the hopper bin and kicks the breaker on the service. I ve looked for a broken ground but havent found one. Had a electrician look at it yesterday but he couldnt seem to find any problems. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Is it a 3-phase or single-phase motor?

if it is single phase,,,Check to see if your neutral wire (white) is connected...

Ground on a single phase is a safety, and back up...

also check your feed wire voltage,,,,,with a neutral out it is possible for you to get either 56 volts, or 220, depending on if the neutral fed another circuit on the opposing phase......or not....

start at the source,,110 volts...or 220,

if it is correct then check the equipment neutral...on single phase..

on three phase it would usually hum if one is out....not spark....

It is single phase. We ve got the motors hooked up as 220 volt. I ve got three other electric motors hooked up to the same service and they are all 220 as well and they work fine. Just this one that Im having all the grief with. Should I start by looking at the wire leading from the service to the motor that is giving the problem? Or in the motor where the wires are connected together?

Manitoba_Rancher said:
It is single phase. We ve got the motors hooked up as 220 volt. I ve got three other electric motors hooked up to the same service and they are all 220 as well and they work fine. Just this one that Im having all the grief with. Should I start by looking at the wire leading from the service to the motor that is giving the problem? Or in the motor where the wires are connected together?

I would start at either one end or the other (motor or service) then work my way back to the other end, including all junction boxes. Do you have an ohm-meter? If you do, cut off the breaker, and check each primary leg to ground. If you get a reading to ground you'll then have to isolate the problem. Good luck.

I have done a lot of work on the farms around here and one of the problems I have found on many occasions is that 20 of more years ago people used aluminum wire and where it hooks to copper you get dissimalar metal corrosion.

If this is the case you need to shut off the supply to your main panel and carefully inspect the connections in the box. I have also seen circuit breakers that have lost tention on the connection terminals and need to be replaced. If you saw an arc that is where to start. You can clean each connection and look very closely for any discoloration.

What I cannot understand is that any electriction worth his salt could not find the problem in a matter of minutes.

George said:
I have done a lot of work on the farms around here and one of the problems I have found on many occasions is that 20 of more years ago people used aluminum wire and where it hooks to copper you get dissimalar metal corrosion.

If this is the case you need to shut off the supply to your main panel and carefully inspect the connections in the box. I have also seen circuit breakers that have lost tention on the connection terminals and need to be replaced. If you saw an arc that is where to start. You can clean each connection and look very closely for any discoloration.

What I cannot understand is that any electriction worth his salt could not find the problem in a matter of minutes.

The best electrician in MR area moved to Alberta and is marrying my daughter. :)

BMR - "The best electrician in MR area moved to Alberta and is marrying my daughter. "

Hey BMR, Is he wired for 220???? :shock: :lol:

(sorry, I can't help it) :D

TimH said:
BMR - "The best electrician in MR area moved to Alberta and is marrying my daughter. "

Tim are you going in to Virden for the New Years eve wedding social? I might be there depending on the weather.

Big Muddy rancher said:
TimH said:

Tim are you going in to Virden for the New Years eve wedding social? I might be there depending on the weather.

Hmmmm??? I was thinking I might, but not if you are miffed over the "wired for 220" thing!!! I've got a very low pain threshold!!!
I was joking.....really!!! :D :D

Say M_R,got the card,thank you, have you got your electrical problem solved yet ?..................good luck

TimH said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
TimH said:

Hmmmm??? I was thinking I might, but not if you are miffed over the "wired for 220" thing!!! I've got a very low pain threshold!!!

No I'm not "Miffed". Beyond worrying about that. The future son in law grew up in Virden and has lots of relatives there. He can't seem to place you. It would be fun if I could make it in and Manitoba rancher and Kato could make it in as well. I think it's at the Elks hall. If I could be sure i could get home the next morning for chores would make the decision easier.

BMR if your going to be in Virden let us know and we will run in and meet you and Tam. WE are only about 20 mins away from Virden. Still havent got my electrical problems solved yet. :( I was looking at the main wire that feeds the service and I think when we had the house fire it burned some of the coating off the wire. There is some corrosion in that wire. Why would this affect the one auger motor and not the others if this is the problem?

Big Muddy rancher said:
TimH said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

No I'm not "Miffed". Beyond worrying about that. The future son in law grew up in Virden and has lots of relatives there. He can't seem to place you. It would be fun if I could make it in and Manitoba rancher and Kato could make it in as well. I think it's at the Elks hall. If I could be sure i could get home the next morning for chores would make the decision easier.

BMR, I'm about 40 minutes SE of Virden. Never went to school there so your future son-in-law probably wouldn't know me.
Is this wedding social an invite deal?? We would like to meet you and Tam so maybe we could meet up. As long as you don't beat me up!! :wink: I wasn't kidding about the low pain threshold thing!!! :D :lol:
I think that it might be a long drive for Kato.

PS: The Elk's Hall is right beside the liquor store!!! :shock: :wink:

George said:

George- how right you are about the aluminum wire- was really popular during WWII and shortly after when copper was short- and the different specs between it and copper when using both can make it shrink and expand- even to the point of shorting out... Used to be one of the major cause of electrical fires......

There is some corrosion in that wire. Why would this affect the one auger motor and not the others if this is the problem?

when the electrician was there did he check the voltage under load,,,and with a clamp on amp meter?

if so was it high on one leg?

motors of the same rateing doing differant jobs can require more (or less) amperage. and react differant...

but if others seem to work fine from the same electric source. it may not be the source...quickest check of the source is to put a bigger load on it.. (although not the safest)............!

I would start testing the motor...

if you have an ohm meter check the motor windings with the motor disconnected,....(be sure to label them before disconnecting them)

..they should only read a few ohms but be equal...not a dead short or real high....

if the motor windings check ok ...

it could still be the Motor,,,

check each lead to motor casing (ground ) ,,,They should read infinity on the highest ohm scale..( if not infinity and all are consistant of near same reading it is likely moisture in motor box) .....

*Make sure You use the Motor Casing as some moters have Isolation mounts (rubber) that seperates them from ground..

Oldtimer said:
George said:

George- how right you are about the aluminum wire- was really popular during WWII and shortly after when copper was short- and the different specs between it and copper when using both can make it shrink and expand- even to the point of shorting out... Used to be one of the major cause of electrical fires......

Alumimum Wire #14, #12, #10 was used in the 60's - - and will break in time if Nicked or bent to sharp (Electric tends to want to travel in a stright line and burnout sharp corners)

#8/AL Stranded or larger is safer but will burn-out at Al/Co connections due to Electrolas unless you use the right connectors.

Al wire should be one size larger than the copper wire required for the job. - - #14 Copper='s#12 Al - - #12 Copper='s #10 Al
==========================================
Trouble Call - - 220v motor - - Grounding out - - Sounds like a bad motor but use this check list:

Power off
1st - Inspect wires at the motor to see that age has not allowed one lead to ground out to moter. - - You can try pulling all the wires where they are free (Not touchin) and try power again - if all works - turn power off and Tape over all wires - - if not go to step #2

Power Off
2nd - - Disconect (ALL the wires) at the motor and free them (Not touching any thing) - - turn power on - - if you still have a short (this will tell you if the trouble is in the supply wireing) if NO short the motor is shorted (inside)

I hope that's clear!

"OldDogs/OldTrick"

Latest posts