• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Elk Gun

Help Support Ranchers.net:

4Diamond

Reaction score
Planning a hunting trip next year to Colorado for Elk. Curious as to what caliber gun I should take. I deer hunt with a .22-250 but I realize that won't suffice. I also have a .30-06 I can use will that work? Thanks

30/06 with good 165 or 180 grain bullets will work just as well as you can shoot. Gut shot elk are not often found by the guy doing the shooting. Put one in the boiler room and then get your tag ready. Make sure you can hit a dinner plate under hunting conditions and then limit yourself to shots you think you could hit that plate and you will be fine.

I shot my first elk with a .22-.250 because no one told me it couldn't be done :shock: Dropped like a stone first shot.
Since then I have shot many with my .30-06, usually 180 grain. Last elk I shot at 286 yds with a 7mm.08 and it did the job just fine.
Accuracy is a far bigger part of the equation than is ft. lbs. of energy.

I agree your '06 will work fine. Your rifle is just another tool. Take the money and buy some good optics.

4Diamond said:
I think the 06 will be getting a nice 4x12 rifle

if your meaning a 4x12 leopold rifleman, youv'e made an excellent choice. have 3 of them, use them on my truck/tractor guns, good tough scope

I hope so...I have a bushnel on my .22-250 and I have no problems with it but I feel like leopold is a better scope.

My stick and string has put more than a few in the freezer so that .06 will work dang skippy if you put them where you need to. :D I'll bet a good old .30-30 has killed more elk, deer and bear than all the other calibers combined. :wink: I guided for 12 years and was always amazed at how crappy some guys can shoot. And a handful were awesome shots at even long range. Guess it depends on how much time a guy spends behind his scope. My favorite rifle is a .270 but know i limit myself to 350 yards as a max. When i shoot my Hoyt my top range on elk is 40 yards. Have fun and take lots of pictures. Maybe we'll run into each other. :wink:

Latest posts