• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

End of an Era

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jinglebob

Reaction score
I'm not too sure why I decided to write this and/or post it here. Maybe it's just something I felt needed to be said.

The passing of an era
Few will note or even realise the passing of another era. Wayne Dennis, the youngest of the three Dennis boys, has passed on. He and two older brothers, both deceased, were raised on a western South Dakota homestead at the beginning of the 1900's.
Harry, Roy and Wayne grew up on the praire and went from using horses for the primary source of power, to seeing man circle the earth and explore deep into space, in vehicles that they could only imagine, as young men. What lives they lead!
From humble means and bordering on what would now be thought of as poverty, where you worked for what you earned and literaly lived "from the sweat of your brows". They lived to seeing people travel in automobiles in an hour, to make a trip that would have taken two days with a team and wagon, when they were young!
The three all grew to manhood and went thru' the "dirty thirties'. All worked for a dollar a day or less and were glad to at least be able to earn that amount.
When the United States entered into World War 2, all three young men were called to duty and all answered. Wayne was the only one of the three that Uncle Sam would except. He went and served his country honorably and was awarded commendations for service, above and beyond the call of duty.
All three young men took wives and brought them home to the family ranch, for at least a time.
Harry eventually moved to Whitewood and worked for many years at Fort Meade.
Roy welded for a tank company during the war and moved back to South Dakota after the war was over and worked at Tri State Milling company. Eventually, he moved back home and bought the family ranch from his parents. He remained there until his death.
Wayne moved his small family close to and eventually into Rapid City and worked as a carpenter and later for a building supply company for many years.
With the death of Wayne, we lose one more of that generation who went when they were asked and were proud to serve their country. They did a job and never complained or bragged on their deeds.
In light of the conditions in the world today and especially in these United States, it causes me to admire these men and their generation, the likes of which we will probably never be fortunate enough to see again. And I am proud to have known them and the many others like them, who gave so thanklessly of themselves. They were real men!

Good eulogy, Jinglebob. The old-timers went through a lot of privation and hardship, so those who came after them could live an easier life. We of the modern generation are pretty spoiled, and most of us have no idea of the sacrifices our ancestors suffered.

Tom Brokaw's book "The Greatest Generation", written several years ago
tells about people like those.
It is a good read and one that everyone should read, especially the younger generation.

Good post, JB! Yes, guys like you and me are fast becoming the "older generation". I called my uncle in NE today because today is his birthday. I think he is about 73 or 74. He is the youngest and last of Dad's brothers. In fact I think he is the last of his generation in my family on Dad's side.

When I saw the title of your post I thought it was about the big land auction coming up tomorrow. Did'ya see the article in the paper about it a couple days ago? I'll post the addy and hope it still works. Do you have your checkbook ready??? :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :Lol:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2006/02/27/news/local/news01.txt

John SD said:
Good post, JB! Yes, guys like you and me are fast becoming the "older generation". I called my uncle in NE today because today is his birthday. I think he is about 73 or 74. He is the youngest and last of Dad's brothers. In fact I think he is the last of his generation in my family on Dad's side.

When I saw the title of your post I thought it was about the big land auction coming up tomorrow. Did'ya see the article in the paper about it a couple days ago? I'll post the addy and hope it still works. Do you have your checkbook ready??? :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :Lol:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2006/02/27/news/local/news01.txt

Are you kidding! I ain't even going to go and watch as I am afraid someone might bump me and I'd move and have the actuoneer take it for a bid. My guess is around 500 and acre average. Whats yours?

Tho' I did instruct my wife to buy some lottery tickets, just in case and if we was to win, we would own that chunk of ground. I sure like it and have rode from the north end to the river on several occasions. If a feller got down at the bottom, I don't think the Jehova's Witness's would even be able to find you! :wink:

I'm thinking the place will bring $500+ at least. I'm not going to the sale either, I'll rely on local gossip to get the results! :D I will go to the equipment sale on March 11.

In the article there is sure a lot of interest out there, whether a lot of those outside folks will show up remains to be seen. At any rate I think local ranching interests don't have a chance. Visiting with my postmaster yesterday, she said some folks from FL came on one of the official showing days. Weather was miserable. They stopped back and told her they planned to come to the auction. She asked them something about getting their plane tickets bought. Turns out these folks have their own plane.

My great uncle just celebrated his 100th birthday. He is a WWII veteran and a lifelong farmer/rancher. He lived in a small town all by himself until he was 92. He sure has good stories to tell.

an excellent post, jb!! Thanks for sharing with the rest of the end of an era....and era when men were men and not whiners who cried out the "injustices" of not having the world handed to them on a silver platter!! Hopefully, their children and grandchildren will live on in the same honorable fashion in which these men did!!! :D

ranchwife said:
an excellent post, jb!! Thanks for sharing with the rest of the end of an era....and era when men were men and not whiners who cried out the "injustices" of not having the world handed to them on a silver platter!! Hopefully, their children and grandchildren will live on in the same honorable fashion in which these men did!!! :D

Some of us a sure trying! :wink:

Latest posts