• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Enough is enough already!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shelly

Reaction score
How are a bunch of hard-working farmers in Sask. and Alberta supposed to get any combining done this year????? It's pouring rain everywhere!!! We are under a heavy rainfall warning, expected amounts is 3-4 inches from now till some time tomorrow. So far, we've been lucky and have only got a bit of rain, but the deluge is coming. We raced the weather for the last two days, and there's still alot of crop out laying in the swaths. God, I hope we miss the worst of it. Stress levels are very high around here, and the moods are ugly. Doesn't take much to set anyone around here off.

The real jake, if you happen to read this, we'd all love to send it your way if we could. GLADLY!

Shelly, it just goes to prove it rains on the just and the UNJUST! :wink: Just kidding. We don't farm, but I can guess what you are going through, and it is just as tough on your bottom line, either way I would bet. A crop laying in the field isn't worth much.

I think it could rain 3 inches here and not run much water. Boy, I would like to find out if I am right about that. :!:

I am glad not too many areas are suffering from drought this year, but ours is one of the unlucky ones. The fishing won't be much good around here for years to come, as the dams are mostly all dry.

Shelly- Know the feeling- we have 80 acres left of hay to bale and about 400 acres of flax to combine... May be doing that at Christmas :? :( I just called to the north place where the flax fields are- 2 inches and still raining...

Looks like I'll just have to force myself to go to town to the waterhole- they've got a memorial service there this afternoon for an old longtime cowboy- Jack Schott- who managed the grazing association for years..Was working at the Wittmayer Ranch when I was just a kid out there wrestling calves- I worked with him for the association later....Then their is a wedding dance tonite for one of my son's best friends... Look out liver---- rainy day, so I don't even have an excuse to go home early :wink: :lol:

I was trying to talk the husband and best friend into hitting the bar tonight. Husband said no thanks, he already has a headache, didn't need another one tomorrow.

Just got off the phone with my daughter in Calgary. She said it was raining hard,really coming down. Not good news for the farmers but I would gladly take some rain off your hands.

Just pouring here and HEAVY rainfall warning out... Beautiful crops laying in lots of water... cows down at summer pasture can't even get down there if I wanted to! But they can't come home yet because my hays STILL in the field.Canola is in swaths and wheat has at least two week ripening to go which won't happen without SUN.Yup not counting on those crops being in bins for awhile yet, or the hay in bales or the cows home.Yup its been a great year :lol:

Rained here all night; went five hours north to a horse sale, and it rained all the way there, all the way home. Snowing here now. Thank God the greenfeed is all baled up! Lots of hay and greenfeed laying in water along the way. Creeks are coming out of the banks in many places. Not a real good day to have the windshield wiper on the driver's side decide to march to its own tune - it would come up all right, but forgot to return for the downward stroke. We had to stop at a convenience store and get some twine to hobble them together, and we were good to go!

Where was your horse sale? We had a couple good ones around here this weekend! Did'nt go to either one,might have been too tempted.Great weather we're havin :mad: though

This was the Willows sale at Buck Lake. We hadn't been to their sale before, but they sold some very nice mares for herd reduction, and a nice bunch of foals.

Shelly- We measure 2.7 inches this morning-we missed a lot of yesterday's rain until late afternoon and it's rained ever since. We have not turned a wheel on harvest yet and have a lot of greenfeed to bale. While we need some good curing conditions to get back on track I still can't cuss the moisture......we've seen far too many dry years and in this country can only be one rain away from a drought!

After all the rain we got three inches of heavy wet snow :shock: overnight, so the willows are laid right over. There is water sitting everywhere. No official measure, as we didn't put up the rain gauge, but I do know we're wet! Any crop up here that isn't wrapped is now flat, I'm thinking.

I haven't checked yet this morning, don't want to know! All I do know, is that it came down hard all night. It's still drizzling even now.

I'm sure sorry this weather is so lousy for you, Shelley. We have snow sliding off the roof, but the sky is beginning to brighten up. Riding in this mud should be fun the next few days, and I shudder to think of the number of trees this snow is going to take down onto the fences.

DJL, when was the last time you had snow in Sept. I thought it only came OCT. to June and all months inbetween. What's that 9 months of the year?

Not sure about DJL but last year we had snow on Sept.24 and it pretty well stayed.Although that doesn't happen every year its ALWAYS possible In sunny Alberta

greg said:
Not sure about DJL but last year we had snow on Sept.24 and it pretty well stayed.Although that doesn't happen every year its ALWAYS possible In sunny Alberta

Guys, here in sunny west central SD, July is the only month that I know we have not had snow over the 113 year history of this ranch. I am not so sure about August, but believe we have had snow near the end of Aug. We certainly have had a freeze in August. And know absolutely that we have had snow may times in September. I recall that when friends had one of their babies in, I believe, mid-Sept. about 1975 their car bumper drug in the snow on their trip to the hospital. Think it was nearly a foot of snow, very wet and heavy. And yes, they did make it to the hospital in time.

MRJ

We can get snow any month of the year up here. I have pics of the kids building a snow fort on the front lawn after a good dump of snow in August one year. A September snow is not unusual, but we just hope it doesn't happen. I'm still hoping for a good indian summer that lasts through until February!

In case the last post gave you the impression that we are living in igloos, don't get me wrong. Those snows are freak things that come in a big dump and melt right away, but any month of the year is fair game. Frosts too. One year we were camped up in the higher valley rebuilding some fence. It was July 3rd, and I about froze to death in the tent over night. Woke up to white frost everywhere. Left trails of green when you walked anywhere. Of course it was gone as soon as the sun got some heat to it, but it was darn chilly until it did.

Latest posts