• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

EPPS Fly Trap?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ben H

Reaction score
I had seen the product in FarmTek, then today I read an article about the EPPS fly trap in Stockman Grass Farmer, the cheapest price I could find $245 at Horse.com. A Vet recomended it, but two people wrote reviews that were negative. The article in SGF was good, I would consider trying it, but those two reviews make me nervous. Has anyone here tried it?
http://www.horselineproducts.com/
index2.gif

Since we didn't want to fork out almost $300 to try something, we decided to make one. The first user made his himself, so we figured we could too. We just started making it today and hope to have it in the field tomorrow. We are using gutters for the trough. We had the t-posts. My husband got some black tarp that was covering a pallet of materials at work and wasn't needed any longer. We have some sheet plastic. We were thinking of buying some plastic "window glass," but have not done so yet. I sure hope it works because the biting flies are absolutely horrible this year.

No, I've never tried that one. I do use Captivator fly traps, though, and they are excellent! I currently have 9 of them around the place. Roughly $8.00/trap, they are a half-gallon size I think, and I am having to dump and rebait every other day to every 3rd day because they are full. They catch biting flies, too, and I can reuse them year after year. The biggest drawback to Captivator is that they stink to high heaven. I dump them wherever I'm irrigating, the mess is good fertilizer, and the water washes away the mess so I don't have to smell it longer than a few seconds. :D

Jeannie said:
No, I've never tried that one. I do use Captivator fly traps, though, and they are excellent! I currently have 9 of them around the place. Roughly $8.00/trap, they are a half-gallon size I think, and I am having to dump and rebait every other day to every 3rd day because they are full. They catch biting flies, too, and I can reuse them year after year. The biggest drawback to Captivator is that they stink to high heaven. I dump them wherever I'm irrigating, the mess is good fertilizer, and the water washes away the mess so I don't have to smell it longer than a few seconds. :D

We use a couple of homemade ones similar to that. Work great around the house but would be difficult to use in the pastures that we have.

Around here we just tough it out a couple weeks of tough flies and then we get a killing frost.I've got cow's I have'nt seen in 3 weeks unless they are close to where I am haying they don't get checked much this time of year.

Denny said:
Around here we just tough it out a couple weeks of tough flies and then we get a killing frost.I've got cow's I have'nt seen in 3 weeks unless they are close to where I am haying they don't get checked much this time of year.
We won't have any hard frosts for a LONG time yet in southwest Missouri. We have tons of flies this year, do to our very wet spring and early summer.

Latest posts