• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

ethanol policy

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Larrry said:
Farmers and ranchers are affected by subsidies and an awful lot of ranchers receive subsidies. There is fencing, well, grazing, feed, conservation and many other subsidies. That being said, I don't know of anyone in agriculture who enjoys the subsidies and would gladly get back to a free market. However the government isn't going to let loose of that control.

the farm program isn't mandatory - but is it policy for banks with money out on farms to require participation?

Hereford76 said:
Larrry said:
Farmers and ranchers are affected by subsidies and an awful lot of ranchers receive subsidies. There is fencing, well, grazing, feed, conservation and many other subsidies. That being said, I don't know of anyone in agriculture who enjoys the subsidies and would gladly get back to a free market. However the government isn't going to let loose of that control.

the farm program isn't mandatory - but is it policy for banks with money out on farms to require participation?

Mine always makes sure that the gov payments get to the bank. They don't have their name on the check but have security on it

I think that there should be help for people in extreme years where there is a tremendous loss due to unavoidable causes. I also feel like there has to be some compasion amoung ourselves. This drought has affected a large part of the nation. A year ago the south was at our mercy here in the north. What did we do, we doubled or tripled our hay prices and took advantage of some good people while they were down. We just as well sold our hay and feed at current market value and hoped that when the tide turned the favor would be returned. Instead we took advantage and many of those people went out of business. Everyone went on and on about how much hay was worth and how much moved on. You might say what goes around comes around. This year we were all faced drought and a low feed supply. Here in Nebraska you could add the worst fire year, maybe in our history. Now we are the people paying unrealistic prices for feed, the difference is we are not hauling it 1000 miles. We have allowed ourselves to set markets within our industries based 100% on greed. No one was concerned when it didn't directly affect them, now it is affecting everyone. We have done this to ourselves. You don't see many people selling their hay to their neighbors at reasonable margin when they can sell it to someone they don't have to look in the eye for a huge profit. I have said it before, maybe we all need to come together and find common ground and take a long look at agricultures future as a whole.

An old farmer told me last year that he just hated pricing his feed. He said it was more than he has ever gotten but if he took much less he would lose money. With his inputs going up he said he wasn't making much, just staying in business. He felt sorry for the cattleman paying those prices but he said why should he lose money so someone else could make a profit.
It's back to the one segment must suffer for the other to make a little, the pendalum(sp) will swing back.

flyingS said:
I think that there should be help for people in extreme years where there is a tremendous loss due to unavoidable causes. I also feel like there has to be some compasion amoung ourselves. This drought has affected a large part of the nation. A year ago the south was at our mercy here in the north. What did we do, we doubled or tripled our hay prices and took advantage of some good people while they were down. We just as well sold our hay and feed at current market value and hoped that when the tide turned the favor would be returned. Instead we took advantage and many of those people went out of business. Everyone went on and on about how much hay was worth and how much moved on. You might say what goes around comes around. This year we were all faced drought and a low feed supply. Here in Nebraska you could add the worst fire year, maybe in our history. Now we are the people paying unrealistic prices for feed, the difference is we are not hauling it 1000 miles. We have allowed ourselves to set markets within our industries based 100% on greed. No one was concerned when it didn't directly affect them, now it is affecting everyone. We have done this to ourselves. You don't see many people selling their hay to their neighbors at reasonable margin when they can sell it to someone they don't have to look in the eye for a huge profit. I have said it before, maybe we all need to come together and find common ground and take a long look at agricultures future as a whole.

:agree: I know a little about input cost, as I put up my own hay, but people around here have asked as much as $80 a bale for s&#*! and I know it does not cost that much to bale, thats gouging!!!!!
Just my opinion.

This was the first year in several we were able to put out our crop without a loan. Thus we could have skipped the insurance ( we were required to get it by the bank other years ) and we discussed skipping it.

I have been around thru hard times when there was no insurance and we made a decision to take it as with 2,300 acres out the cost of seed, fert, herbicide, insecticide, lime was right at $1,000,000.00 and the cost of insurance with a ploicy that would pay for drought as well as hail and about anything else was right at $116,000.00

Right now it sure looks like we made a good decision to have the insurance as we have a big check coming - - - but if we had put the priemium money in the bank and saved it I figure it would have taken about 20 years to make up for this check - - - when ever it gets here.

We will be signing up again next year and I hope it is $116,000.00 down the drain as it sure is depressing to harvest 7 bushels of corn to the acre after all the hard work!

George said:
This was the first year in several we were able to put out our crop without a loan. Thus we could have skipped the insurance ( we were required to get it by the bank other years ) and we discussed skipping it.

I have been around thru hard times when there was no insurance and we made a decision to take it as with 2,300 acres out the cost of seed, fert, herbicide, insecticide, lime was right at $1,000,000.00 and the cost of insurance with a ploicy that would pay for drought as well as hail and about anything else was right at $116,000.00

Right now it sure looks like we made a good decision to have the insurance as we have a big check coming - - - but if we had put the priemium money in the bank and saved it I figure it would have taken about 20 years to make up for this check - - - when ever it gets here.

We will be signing up again next year and I hope it is $116,000.00 down the drain as it sure is depressing to harvest 7 bushels of corn to the acre after all the hard work!

Absolutely!! Always have to have insurance, but it sure sucks to have to use it.

Latest posts