• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

ethanol syrup

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tlakota

Reaction score
Does anybody use the ethanol byproduct? I was wondering how u feed it and just curious about information about it.

If you are talkiing about the steep mix I have used it. It works fine. It is a liguid goo and is 16% protien. You can feed it to cows out of a tub.
They will eat a lot of it. So needs to be low priced. You can add liquid mineral to it if you can calculate consumption. I add half the recomended amount to make sure I;m not over dosing. The only downside is it freezes and it seperates in the tank, so you need to aggitate it. If you mix it with a finishing ration it can mess up you moisture content a cause big problems unless it is feed with addequate dry matter to balanjce it out. I think it makes an ecellent creep feed if you can keep the cows out of it. I think I would try feeding calves out of a lick tank ao the don't just stay in the creep and eat just that.

they

I feed the wet distillar's grain as the only grain for my heifers and young bulls the heifers are getting 11#s per day of the 65% moisture product and growing fine the bulls are getting 16#s which figures out to about 6#s of grain they are growing fine and should weigh 1100 to 1200#s by turnout time.We are feeding it to the cows also at about 20#s per day give or take I just feed a wagon load per day.
With the younger cattle from what I have seen you cant over feed it if your in a colder climate they will get full and walk away then it freezes in the bunks so its best just to gauge it by the animal size.

see i was wondering when u grind hay if you can just spray that syrup stuff right on the ground hay pile...the plant said something about putting 200 pounds on each bale

Andy said:
You can put it with straw, but you can't ensile it as the PH is wrong for that.

I thought about spraying it on windrows of cornstalk hay prior to baling providing you could keep it at the right thickness. Could this work and would it keep its protein when winter feeding rolled around?

I"ve tried to feed the corn surup abut every way their is. From putting the bales on end and sprayen it over the top. With IHC baler with the soft core I could get about 800 lbs per bale. I"ve sprayed it on as I ground corn stalk bales but I never got a very good distribution. I got a tank now and youse the feeder wagon so I know what I"m feeding. I use a lick tank in the spring when I"m calfen just because my calfen area Is away from the main place.

One of our provinces largest feedlots is a combined ethanol plant/ feedlot and they pipe the distillate right into the water supply. They use this in the pens for starting cattle and keep them on this up to about 800 lbs. The mash( wet distillers) is mixed daily with silage and barley for bunk delivery. Has been a good program for them.

I can see from the responses that were are talking about two different bi products here. The syrup as I understand it is the steep and is a watery liquid that is mixed with all kinds of other products to make a thick syrup. It's the water that is drained off from the soaking process. The distillers grain is whats left after the distilation process. If I'm wrong would like to be corrected' Thanks for the coments.

tlakota said:
that would be a good idea TSR...how much does it cost around u guys?

I really don't know as I haven't pursued the idea becaus all the sources for the syrup have been too far away. Now there is a plant going in about 7 miles from me so I am getting more interested.

I believe there is steep water and there is also syrup. syrup is olnly about 6% wetter than wet cake. I like putting the syrup in the feeder wagon with some ground stalks or what have. that way I know what they are eating for syrup. than I just put some stalk bales out for them to chew on.

Latest posts