• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

evening drive

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Tam and i had a early super(for us) then she hitched up her ponies and saddled my horse and a young one to pony along and we took mineral to the west side of the ranch.It was probably 8 or 9 mile round trip up and down the old Willow Bunch trail. The same trail Sitting Bull traveled down on his way back to the US to surrender. The trail connected the Big Muddy NWMP post and Willow Bunch one of the oldest settlements in Saskatchewan.
suppertrip020.jpg

suppertrip016.jpg

suppertrip006.jpg

And for my friend Turkey Track, yes we got Hookers.
suppertrip014.jpg

little bow rancher said:
I'm assuming the collar fit

Actually it was to big but it should fit a quarter horse if we ever break a larger team. Thanks

The whole harness, collars and all, I'm using came from a good friend from the States. I ran into her one day when I was shipping back a new collar that I had got off ebay that was to small and she asked what size I was looking for. When I told her, she said she thought that was the size her late husband had when he drove ponies and she would check when she got home. Sure enough the collars were just what I was looking for so I drove down and she loaned them to me to see if they would fit. BMR and I went back to pay her for the complete double harness and she hadn't decided what she wanted for them yet but said she was just happy to know they were being used again. While we were out for a drive last night BMR comment on the thought that he figured Our old friend would also be happy to know his harness was not hanging in the shop collecting dust.

I don't know what I would have done without her letting me use the harness as it is next to impossible to find that size. The Ponies are to small for actual pony harness and too big for mini horse harness. They are right between the two sizes, I guess he had his made for his ponies. He had another set custom made and he used them for parades and his son told me if I was ever in a parade I was welcome to come get them to use. THEY ARE FANCY.

Thank you for the collar you send and maybe someday our son will break another team that it will fit as he lost one of his team this last winter.

Faster horses said:
What? Only one mineral tub??? :p

Woooo, your country does look good. Looks like the
ponies got over their fright.

That was the only one that had to be moved the other two we just had to refill.

And Yes the ponies recovered just fine. :) They enjoy pulling it seems as last night when we got home after all the hills, they were still trotting along. I was very proud of them. It was a great evening. :D

Good looking team, looks like our kind of drive. Guess we're really considered "beef farmers" (we wear ball caps instead os stetsons), but there's something very reassuring that there are still places out there like the ones in your photos, the real west. Thanks for sharing, truly enjoyed them.

Love your wagon!
Just got a team of Haflingers, with harness thank goodness, and haven't had a whole lot of time for them yet...but.....Hardest part was convincing my wife I would have time for them.....she may be right again.
Looks like you are making good use of yours!

Latest posts