• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Everyone is writin letters... was this one a good idea?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
I wrote a letter to the head of the school board. I want hunting to be recognized as a valid excuse ofr missing school, just like every other sport.

Dear Mr. Danylchuk,

My name is Alex ********** and I attend the Humboldt Collegiate Institute. I am in the tenth grade. I am an avid outdoorsman, as my past times include hunting, fishing, nature watching, and basically anythign that has to do with nature.

Now, as school has started it has been stated that hunting IS NOT a valid reason to miss school, although other sports such as Soccer, Football, Hockey and Dance are. I would liek this to change, and here are my reasons.

Hunting is one of the most physically challenging sports out there. In others, you are not hiking across hilly terrain all day. You are not climbing deadfalls. You are not pulling something out with your own two hands that is much bigger. This sport is physically exhausting.

Hunting is also a sport that requires thinking. You must outthink your prey. You have to know them, study them. I have found that in one afternoon in the field, I can learn more there then I can in a afternoon in a classroom. I can garuntee you I will know more about the wildlife and where we live then someone who stays in the classroom. In my opinion, its more important to know about where we are and what lives here, not who founded a country we aren't even in!

As you can see, this is not only a sport. It is a way of life. My teachers told me that anything worth doing is worth fighting for, so here I am.

I hope you can see things my way sir.

Alex G. **********
Humboldt Collegiate Institute
Humboldt, Saskatchewan

Alex...If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

If this is important to you (which it is) you do need to go the extra
mile (which you did). If you do NOTHING, nothing will change.

I'm proud of you for taking this approach. Let us know the outcome.

give me his phone number. I guarantee you that in 20 minutes you will be able to hunt with an excused absence, or be expelled.....either way, you can go hunting!

This was my response, now I'm sending one to Bev Hanson, aliong with about a dozen others who, when they found out what I was doing, decided it was a good idea.

No support-pish posh :wink:

Dear Alex,

Thank you for your email regarding hunting and your rationale in supportof hunting as a valid reason to miss school. Unfortunately, I am not the Director of Education for HCI - you need todirect your message to Mrs. Bev Hanson, Director of Education for St.Paul's Roman Catholic Separate School Division as she is the Directorunder the existing Policy Development and Operations Committee thatgoverns the operation of HCI.While I have some sympathy for your argument, I enjoy hunting too, I haveserious doubts regarding the likelihood that you will find widespreadsupport for your idea.Once again, thank you for your email.Have a great year and an even greater hunting season - but do it outsideof school hours. Despite the many valuable lessons you and I learn in thefield, future employers will still want you to be able to prove youracademic achievement with a Grade 12 diploma and Tech or Universitydegree(s). Perhaps a career involving your "passion" of nature/huntingwould be a most logical choice - but that of course is entirely up to you.Best wishes,
Marc Danylchuk
Director of Education
Horizon School Division No. 205 - A Community of Learning and Achieving

Thats my fault, not his... the email template and the posting template for on here and hotmail are so different, the words just jumbled together. lol.

I'm doing this in class, I didnt have time to fix all of it, just the best I could haha... here coms the teacher :roll: 8) :p

here in t-town you can miss 7 days of school in one semester. that usually give me just enough days to let me go to cattle shows and some how my parents do allow me a couple of days off during deer season if i want to. i guess my point is, you can go hunting if you want to, but it just goes toward your 7 days. after 7 days you get saturday school tho. so its no biggy. the only events that are not counted have to have something to do with school, or you have to have a doctors note. no one really cares about hunting.

your letter had alot of good points.

I will be pulling a boy out next week to go to Husker Harvest Days. if the school gives me any guff, I will explain how the world works ,as I see it.!

I have noticed that teachers and coaches think the world begins and ends with SCHOOL.

One of our customers said he wasn't sending his youngest child to school,
"cuz once they get them, you never see them again."

Our grandson lives a long, long ways from town. He is 13 and has gone
out for football this fall. His folks decided he could play one sport as
it is expensive and time-consuming to get him back and forth. The coach
is having a fit, and really putting the pressure on them to let him play the
other 3 sports.

Faster horses said:
I have noticed that teachers and coaches think the world begins and ends with SCHOOL.

One of our customers said he wasn't sending his youngest child to school,
"cuz once they get them, you never see them again."

Our grandson lives a long, long ways from town. He is 13 and has gone
out for football this fall. His folks decided he could play one sport as
it is expensive and time-consuming to get him back and forth. The coach
is having a fit, and really putting the pressure on them to let him play the
other 3 sports.

If it's like it is here the coaches get a ' bonus' from the local atheletic assoc's or/and even from the county school budget if they can get more kids in more sports. It's kinda like a bounty on each kid.

You get enough doing duplicate sports and it can add up to some serious cash! It's all kinda ' hush-hush' but you have to really look hard in the budgets to find it....but it's there!!

My kids will be missing 5 days for the county fair next week. Like it or not...the teachers will be sending a weeks worth of work home with them tomorrow. OR monday I will be in that room when the bell rings. They usually try to avoid that.

4-H teaches great things. I've had to pay more than one teachers way into the fair, just so they can see what the kids do in a day. Not to mention the whole year leading up to the fair.

NOW, hunting...my kids are only allowed 2 days off. One for bow and one for shot gun. Daddy's rules so he has time to hunt too!!!!!

Good luck Alex. Nice letter you got back.

I always found that school sports were more fun to attend than court. They are pretty easy going about hunting up here-Ty actually hunts with some of the teachers as long as you don't push it to far. His first football game is tomorrow he's returning kickoffs,punts, playing linebacker and tailback and is on the kick coverage teams-he's only had three practices since that horse fell on him so not too sure how it's all going to shake out. Your chance to be an athlete isn't a very big time frame so I kind of let my kids go for it.

Latest posts