• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ex. New Mexico Governor plans run for President

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
In a move that may help President Barack Obama win reelection, former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson plans to run for the White House as a Libertarian, a source said.

Johnson, who served two terms as a popular governor, has been running for the Republican nomination to take on Obama in the November 2012 elections but trailing far behind the crowded field's front-runners.

Recent polls have found that a third-party presidential candidate could syphon enough support from Obama's Republican challenger to help the embattled Democratic incumbent score another term.

"Governor Johnson has been very clear that he is seriously considering seeking the Libertarian nomination, and will be holding a news conference December 28 to announce his decision about doing so," said his communications director, Joe Hunter.

An aide familiar with the decision told AFP on condition of anonymity that Johnson "will be announcing a Libertarian run, and many of our supporters have been informed of that."

A new national public opinion survey by Public Policy Polling released Tuesday found that former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney alone among Republican candidates leads Obama, by a 47 percent to 45 percent margin.

If Johnson is added to the mix, Obama leads 43-41 over Romney, with nine percent going for the former New Mexico governor, according to PPP, whose poll had an error margin of plus or minus 3.7 percent.

Johnson, a conservative governor who often boasts of vetoing legislation more than 750 times, is a sharp critic of the US war on illegal drugs and has climbed four of the highest peaks on all seven continents, including Mount Everest.

Don't know much about him- so googled a few things:
Some I like...

Johnson was born in 1953 in Minot, North Dakota, the son of Lorraine B. (née Bostow) and Earl W. Johnson. His father was a public school teacher, while his mother worked for the Bureau of Indian Affairs

Sounds good:
Johnson holds fiscally conservative, socially liberal libertarian views, and a philosophy of limited government.

Pretty much what I've said for years- another war Nixon lost:

Saying the War on Drugs was "an expensive bust," he advocated the decriminalization of marijuana use and concentration on harm reduction measures for all other illegal drugs. "He compared attempts to enforce the nation's drug laws with the failed attempt at alcohol prohibition. Half of what government spends on police, courts and prisons is to deal with drug offenders." He suggests that drug abuse be treated as a health issue, not as a criminal issue.

Maybe a Johnson/Paul ticket?
In the 2008 presidential election campaign, Johnson endorsed Ron Paul for the Republican nomination.

"I support gay unions. I think the government ought to get out of the marriage business

Leave the decision up to the woman
Q: Where do you stand on abortion rights?
A: It should be left up to the woman.

End the Department of Education
Although it may sound drastic, there are practical reasons why we should consider ending the Department of Education.
The Department of Education grants each state 11 cents out of every dollar it spends on education. Unfortunately, every dollar of this money comes with 16 cents of strings attached. States that accept federal funding lose five cents for every dollar spent on education to pay for federal mandates and regulations, taking millions of dollars out of the classroom.

Schools should have the authority to decide how best to spend educational dollars, not those in Washington.

States rights on enviromental issues and endangered species

Q: Where do you stand on gun control?
A: I'm one of those who believe the bumper sticker: If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. The first people who are going to be in line to turn in their guns are law-abiding citizens. Criminals are going to be left with guns. I believe that concealed carry is a way of reducing gun violence.

Q: Do you carry a gun?

A: I don't, and I don't own a gun, but I'd still just as soon have the concealed carry law. If the guy who is going to hold up a car knows there is the possibility of a concealed weapon, he may think twice. We don't have that law here.

Q: But the statistics show that people don't use guns to stop crime. They use them to hurt themselves or innocent people.

A: Yeah, but there is deterrenc in the legality of guns. It's also part of the Constitution.

Q: The NRA disagrees with any limits. Do you?

A: I don't believe the laws regarding guns are effective. We're allowed to bear arms. It's part of a free society.

Cut military spending and foreign aid

Supports FAIR tax

Reform all entitlements, including Social Security. (Jul 2011)
Change escalator from wage-based to inflation-based. (May 2011)
Maintain long-term solvency of Social Security and Medicare. (Aug 2001)

http://www.issues2000.org/Gary_Johnson.htm

Latest posts