• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Expensive HOUND!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
Way back in early January we went on a little hog hunting adventure. Gone for 4 days and left the dogs out in the critter pens. (My female isn't so nice towards most people), and Lisa's Dad and Stepmom were going to do chores for us.
We get home, and Dude, Lisa's 2 year old Hanging Tree/Border Collie doesn't act right. This was at about 6 AM Sunday morning. By Monday morning, he was worse, so we took him to Valentine. The small animal vet at our normal stop wasn't in for the day, so we took him to the "new" small animal clinic. Left him overnight, and the Next day they pretty much give us the he's not going to make it story.
He was diagnosed with Dysautonomia, along with complete intestinal blockage. Our local vet didn't have the stuff to really check him out, so we load him up and haul him to Rapid City. Spent the night there, and the next morning they operated on him. He was plugged up with grass he had eaten, trying to get his stomach to work.
Long story, but he went from 55 pounds down to 30, couldn't control his bladder or bowel, and could barely walk for close to 2 months. On top of that, him and my female, killed a Coyote the day before we left to go Hog hunting, and Dude ended up with Mange. Again since he has Border Collie in him, you can't just give him Ivermectrin to clear it up. Has to be some special/ expensive stuff!! He got to where the only thing he would eat was raw deer meat, and since we had a big deer die off the last 2 years, I had only gotten 1 dear last fall. ( He got what was left, and NO I didn't shoot another one)
2 weeks ago, he had a relapse, and got diarrhea terrible, and lost what little bit of weight he had gained back. Lisa was about to the point of giving up. Took him back to Butlers for the weekend, and he came home a totally different dog. He eats everything in sight! Runs, plays and chases critters like he used to. Has most of his strength back, and is ready to travel again. This is the same dog that had been in 15 states by the time he was 10 months old. He is now back up to 43 pounds.

Kept encouraging!! Honestly they just babied him. If the other vet would have been in, he would have gone there. I am pretty sure there are only about 5 dogs that have survived Dysautonomia. I think Jazzy, the dog, did, and a couple others in Kansas. Every vet we have talked to says it is terminal. Dude still squints, and has trouble urinating, but other then that he is well on the road to healing.

LazyWP said:
Kept encouraging!! Honestly they just babied him. If the other vet would have been in, he would have gone there. I am pretty sure there are only about 5 dogs that have survived Dysautonomia. I think Jazzy, the dog, did, and a couple others in Kansas. Every vet we have talked to says it is terminal. Dude still squints, and has trouble urinating, but other then that he is well on the road to healing.

Well so do I, but nobody seems to care! :shock: :D

Good to hear the ol' hound is feeling better.

If you would listen to the radio and soak up all the advertising knowledge, all you would have needed to do was give the dog Dinovite. You could have saved all that travel and veterinary expense. :wink:

Soapweed said:
If you would listen to the radio and soak up all the advertising knowledge, all you would have needed to do was give the dog Dinovite. You could have saved all that travel and veterinary expense. :wink:

Has any one on here tried Dinovite? I do not see a reason to us it on my German Shepherds but my daughter live in town and cannot have a German Shepherd and bought a "Golden Noodle" that has constant skin and ear problems - - - I told her to try it but I don't think she has.

Latest posts