• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

EXT Proof lol.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

P1011562.jpg

Here's the pounder we use-you can move it up-down-sideways-back and forth with hydraulics-it's got a post hugger to hold the post while pounding in rocky ground. I don't have rocks but there are lots on some of the neighbors land. They aren't as big and as hard as Texas rocks but they're still rocks none the less.

hey NR
are those the pionty sticks you're always talking about?
those deer up there must be mighty big

whats the range on your thrower there?

Ranchy said:
Looks great, NR! Even ACS's little 20# calves would have trouble crawling through those wires! :wink: :lol: :lol:

They could manage it ;).... the can squeeze underneath corral pannels, and between boards in the corral. lol. good thing we have most of em at community poasture. lol.

Nice fence, NR.

Lol, it sounds like I'm about the last person on the board who still drills in posts by hand. Of course, I only use 2" - 3" pickets, two feet in the ground. Built a little 3" auger and I can lay in fence faster than I ever could with a pounder.

Another hint to toss out there. I built a jig, and in the off months during winter I tack my insulators on the posts that I'll be fencing with the following year. Saves alot of time.

Rod

Those better insulators you can't twist the wire into them if they are fastened tight-a word to the wise don't let your inline tightener handle slip-I caught it right in the snout and upper lip today. Funny thing is I never get bloody noses-only time I ever leaked was when i got a two hander across it in hockey. I've beat up alot of right hands with my honker over the years lol.

Interesting. I use the double nail SpeedRite insulators (IMO, there is not a better insulator on the market) or the PEL double nail standoff insulators (again, IMO, second best insulator on the market) and never have a problem twisting the wire into them. What kind of insulator do you use NR, just so I don't buy them and not be able to get my wire into place :lol:

Rod

Gallagher's are like that if you have any tension on the wire-it goes pretty fast putting them on after wire is tight -my two little girls mark the spacings and I follow with my coirdless drill putting them on. Fencing is a family affair here-nice to give the two youngest some ownership in the new fence.

Northern Rancher said:
Fencing is a family affair here-nice to give the two youngest some ownership in the new fence.

My two daughters fetch posts from the truck for me and plant them in the holes when they're not in school. I tried to convince my two year old to hand me insulators when I was tacking them onto the posts, but he was more interested in trying to hammer the nails in. Never hold a nail for a two year old with a 24 oz framing hammer...

And I suspect the reason why I don't have problems clipping the wire in is because I never put tension on the wire. I put two metal rods in the back holes on the truck box and let the wire play off the spools. Some day I'm going to build something to allow me to run four spools at once. There is just enough friction on the spools to stop the wires from tangling together. When I get to a corner, I place the corners (or tie off if its the end), then walk back and hang the wires. After its hung, I tension the wire.

Rod

Hill Country is almost solid rock. Very little topsoil. and whats underneath is granite and limestone.

2006-02-120-007-I-10-Hill-C-1.jpg

Here's a picture that was taken in Haymaker's neck of the woods....see any rocks?

Northern Rancher said:
I use a cordless drill and #6 1" screws to put insulators on-then I canreuse them if need be.

I tossed that idea around, but it was a hair slower than nails, and I've never had occasion to reuse an insulator. I spose it would nice should you ever have to replace a broken insulator, but I also rarely have those. I see Campbell-Hausfield air nailers have come way down in price. Ukrunsky Wheel has a 3 piece outfit on sale for $199, and one of the nailers is a framing gun capable of 3.5" nails. I may buy the set, just because I've got a couple hundred posts to insulate this winter.

Rod

Northern Rancher said:
WE'll have to have an insulator putting on contest lol. I 'm pretty speedy lol.

Lol, it would be about that time that I wouldn't be able to hit anything but my fingers. When I was putting up corral fences a few years back (I've since gotten wiser and switched to steel :D ) I got tired of swinging my old junk hammer and bought an Estwing 24 oz framing hammer. Great hammer that you can swing all day without your arm getting tired, but you miss and those serrations in the face really take a bite out of your paws....

Rod

Northern Rancher said:
WE'll have to have an insulator putting on contest lol. I 'm pretty speedy lol.

There was a barbed wire rolling contest in Hyannis many years ago. Jack Dubs brought in five rolls of wire that were all the same length, and they were just the length of the rodeo arena. Ater they were all rolled out, there were five of us that competed. Jerry Carson was hands down the winner. He could roll wire about as fast as he could run. I can't remember if I was second or third, because two of us were pretty close. Jerry did win a nice pair of new gloves for having the fastest time.

How about putting the wire in the insulator before you nail it on the post. Then you don't have to try and twist it in after.

We put insulators on the run of wire, they are a tube insulator and than just work them down the line and use fencing staples to nail them to the fence.. Sorks pretty good.... not exactly easy to replace if something where to go wrong with an insulator (Hasn't happened yet) but not that big of a deal either.

Sandy said:
How about putting the wire in the insulator before you nail it on the post. Then you don't have to try and twist it in after.

I nail the insulators on the posts in the winter, before fencing (see my hint earlier in the thread).

Rod

Man I hate barbed wire with a passion-especially that single strand stuff-I guess you've never had the fun and excitement of fencing with it in the bush. Not my cup of tea at all.

Latest posts