• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

F-R 323 LAD 9107

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Randy. Hard to tell a lot from this photo angle and from such a close up shot. My description of the Fraser bull was from evaluating him in the flesh.

Dylan Biggs said:
Randy. Hard to tell a lot from this photo angle and from such a close up shot. My description of the Fraser bull was from evaluating him in the flesh.

Well you can tell he has a crooked neck and NO feet. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes. The angled stance makes it tough and the close-up shot makes analysis of hair color easy to do, but the rest is difficult. Seems like he might have a pretty decent outline.

HP

Dylan Biggs said:
Justin said:
what's special about this bull? don't get me wrong, he's a good looking critter, but nothing outstanding. IMHO is there more to the story?

Evaluated within his contemporaries this bull stood out in many ways. He has very good feet and legs, IMO the best of the bunch. He was born April 11, when this photo was taken he was only 3 days and 11 months of age. Relative to muscling and BCS the best of the bunch, and the most moderate framed of the bunch. He is very balanced and correct moving. He displays very good spring and depth of rib, good width of chest floor and a well developed muzzle. Good top line, good loin and good width of hind end. For his age very good testicular development, shape, symmetry, and epidydimal development. He also for his age displays good secondary masculine character. He has a good clean sheath and does not prolapse his prepuce.

i'm sure he looks better in person, but he still just looks like a bull to me. Dylan you sound like, at one time, you were the captain of the livestock judging team. :wink:

Badlands said:
Badlands wrote:
I like his tail.

Badlands

I agree, I forgot to mention that.

Most people probably thought I was being a smart alec, Dylan.
He sure looks like a nice bull.

Badlands

The "smart alec" charaterization crossed my mind, but it's hard to tell from the written word. So I made no assumption. Thanks for the clarification. I agree about the bull.

Have a good day. :)

Justin said:
Dylan Biggs said:
Justin said:
what's special about this bull? don't get me wrong, he's a good looking critter, but nothing outstanding. IMHO is there more to the story?

Evaluated within his contemporaries this bull stood out in many ways. He has very good feet and legs, IMO the best of the bunch. He was born April 11, when this photo was taken he was only 3 days and 11 months of age. Relative to muscling and BCS the best of the bunch, and the most moderate framed of the bunch. He is very balanced and correct moving. He displays very good spring and depth of rib, good width of chest floor and a well developed muzzle. Good top line, good loin and good width of hind end. For his age very good testicular development, shape, symmetry, and epidydimal development. He also for his age displays good secondary masculine character. He has a good clean sheath and does not prolapse his prepuce.

i'm sure he looks better in person, but he still just looks like a bull to me. Dylan you sound like, at one time, you were the captain of the livestock judging team. :wink:

Until you were to see the bull in person it is hard to judge a bull from a photo. I am not sure what aspect or trait you are looking for that would cause you to describe him as special. Like NR said though the fact that he is as well balanced and complete as he is and nothing jumps out at you is part of what is good about the bull at his young age (11 months) and considering his very modest calf hood management and post wean feed regime.

As far as livestock judging I have never been involved in 4H or FAA or anything organized like that. I am my own judging team. And as such I get to suffer the results of any and all of my mistakes. In the end beauty is as beauty does. The late Dr. Jim Scott, bless his soul, of Great Falls, was my mentor when it came to helping me evaluate live cattle.

It will be a few years before we can tell the true value of this bull, his selection is a guess, I like to think an educated guess but a guess none the less.

Thanks for the comments, have a good one.
:)

Dylan

Northern Rancher said:
Yeah he'll get used on a pile of heifers this spring so we'll give his calving ease a test for sure.Had a SAV Pioneerr purebred calf yesterday-he's a vigerous little shyster I'll give him that.

You better be careful SAV should go against all you stand for.lol :wink:

Dylan Biggs said:
It will be a few years before we can tell the true value of this bull, his selection is a guess, I like to think an educated guess but a guess none the less.

What is your opinion on linebreeding/in-breeding Dylan? If you were buying a bull like this from a program that had many generations of close breeding behind him (I'm just assuming this one hasn't) would you feel more confident in the outcome?

What is your opinion on linebreeding/in-breeding Dylan?

I don't have enough first hand experience to have an informed opinion one way or the other. I am experimenting a bit the last few years and in a few more I may have one.

If you were buying a bull like this from a program that had many generations of close breeding behind him (I'm just assuming this one hasn't) would you feel more confident in the outcome?

In theory I should feel more confident about the consistency of the outcome.
As regards the outcome itself, consistent or not, that would remain a genetic gamble, possibly a reduced gamble but a gamble none the less.

The Lad passed another hurdle, scored 87% on his semen evaluation at eleven and a half months of age. Justin I like him a wee bit more now.

Dylan Biggs said:
The Lad passed another hurdle, scored 87% on his semen evaluation at eleven and a half months of age. Justin I like him a wee bit more now.

This is where GF and I butted heads a bit.
If I understood him correctly scrotal size wasn't that important. But if you pay a vet to do a BSE, scrotal size can fail a bull. So is a person to pay a vet to do a BSE then disregard it.

That was a good score on a young bull.

Latest posts