• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

F1 cross guess the breeding

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I thought it was a trick question comi g from these guys in Western Wyoming
So my guess was going to be Salers x Beffalo
Theory would say to cross that Waygu Holestin however
Holsteins do grade Choice now with many Holstein Heifers hitting the yards due to over use of sexed semen

They used to call this Valley little Switzerland at one time there was close to 300 dairy farms, well some only milk 4 cows for the summer and the milk can were in the creek. now there around only 10 dairy farms larger but would say most are still less then 100 cows. Used to see a lot of Holstein calves on a range cow that had lost her calf.

3 M L & C said:
Mike said:
Wagyu Cattle Cross Experiment

By John Brethour, Beef Cattle Scientist of Western Kansas Agricultural Research Centers

In this experiment, a Wagyu bull was crossed with Charolais cows in an effort to provide a quality, lean carcass.

"The experiment involved steers produced from crossing Wagyu bulls and Charolais cows. They are part of a research goal to improve management strategies for production of high quality beef. Specifically these cattle were acquired to track the development of marbling as a function of time on feed in order to improve prediction models based on ultrasound estimates of marbling.

Wagyu is a high marbling breed from Japan. The cross with Charolais considered that a high marbling but lean carcass might be the result. That in fact occurred. The steers were harvested December 29, 1999. The 17 sold at that time graded 88% Prime (15/17) and the other two were average and high Choice. They were 47 percent Yield Grade 1, and also 47 percent Yield Grade 2 while one steer was a Yield Grade 3. Back-fat averaged only .30 inch. This might very well be the best carcass results on a group of cattle in the history of grading cattle in this country."

Quote:
"The cattle graded more than 90 percent prime, and the men took six to the 1999 National Western Stock Show for the carcass contest, where they won 1st place with an unprecedented 100%, Prime-graded group. 'One judge said this was 'the best set of carcasses I've ever seen in my life,' Brethour said."

Kansas State Researcher and Extension Animal Scientist, John Brethour, and Jim Scott, owner of Prime Line Genetics.

How old were these said cattle?

Don't know. But my experience with them says to feed them a little longer using less feed per day to get those Gradings. Same amount of grain to finish with a little more hay at the end.

My cattle were fed here:

http://www.decaturfeedyard.com/94/our-process

Mike said:
3 M L & C said:

How old were these said cattle?

Don't know. But my experience with them says to feed them a little longer using less feed per day to get those Gradings. Same amount of grain to finish with a little more hay at the end.

My cattle were fed here:

http://www.decaturfeedyard.com/94/our-process

Really? Oberlin is about 20 miles cross country from where we farm.

I got a speed warning from the Decatur County deputy sheriff. Coming north from Wakenny Ks.i hit that nice wide hiway and put my foot into it a bit. :oops:

let me off cause he knew i had to take a bit of a run at the hill coming up. :D

I agreed and promised to hold it down. :D

I believe 83 goes from canada to Mexico. And gets a lot of truck traffic. It is a nice wide road. I assume it's been a while. There is a new guy that stops people and writes tickets for no seatbelts. He dosnt know what a warning is I guess. :lol:

3 M L & C said:
I believe 83 goes from canada to Mexico. And gets a lot of truck traffic. It is a nice wide road. I assume it's been a while. There is a new guy that stops people and writes tickets for no seatbelts. He dosnt know what a warning is I guess. :lol:

It was 2001. The deputy wore camo and his pants tucked into his lace up boots. If you in Kansas you can't be far from my BIL. they are just south of Voda.

Big Muddy rancher said:
3 M L & C said:

It was 2001. The deputy wore camo and his pants tucked into his lace up boots. If you in Kansas you can't be far from my BIL. they are just south of Voda.

I had one of the wildest vehicle rides of my life on the "big wide highway" south of Wakeeney, Kansas back in mid May of 1972. The guy I was with had a hot souped up Chevrolet two-wheel drive pickup. He was pulling an empty 5' x 16' bumper hitch trailer. We had been working cattle all day, and he was anxious to get back into town for supper. We came out of a feedyard spinning gravel, and hit the highway at high speed. He put the pedal to the metal, and goosed that ol' girl. A mile or so later I glanced at the speedometer, and we were going 115 miles per hour. It's a good thing that bumper hitch trailer was well broke to lead. I wasn't old enough to know any better, but the driver was close to fifty years old at the time. He didn't start up anytime on the whole trip that he didn't peal out and lay rubber. :roll:

Soapweed said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
3 M L & C said:

I had one of the wildest vehicle rides of my life on the "big wide highway" south of Wakeeney, Kansas back in mid May of 1972. The guy I was with had a hot souped up Chevrolet two-wheel drive pickup. He was pulling an empty 5' x 16' bumper hitch trailer. We had been working cattle all day, and he was anxious to get back into town for supper. We came out of a feedyard spinning gravel, and hit the highway at high speed. He put the pedal to the metal, and goosed that ol' girl. A mile or so later I glanced at the speedometer, and we were going 115 miles per hour. It's a good thing that bumper hitch trailer was well broke to lead. I wasn't old enough to know any better, but the driver was close to fifty years old at the time. He didn't start up anytime on the whole trip that he didn't peal out and lay rubber. :roll:

That fits our neighbor here in SD. :p Mr. FH has stopped going anywhere with him. Can't stand the stress. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts