• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

F550 vs. Dodge 5500

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Gas burners are cheaper to operate now. The V-10's are stout too. The only problem is over heating when they get a few miles on them.

Faster horses said:
Hay Feeder said:
My nephew owns a 2013 Ton Ford with every bell and whistle and no power in will not even pull a empty camper up at hill 40 mph tops if not lugging lower yet Ford can not seem to fix it so far

My brother-in-law was in the oilfield up by Williston, ND. He found the very same thing you are mentioning here. New Fords have no power.

Hmmm, weird, the 2015 Ford has 55hp more than the Dodge, and virtually the same torque (Dodge has 5 ft lbs more) I've never heard a complaint about the power from either. The economy of the Dodge is a common complaint though. We've come a long way in the last 20 years as far as power goes, but the economy has taken a few steps back.
Pretty hard for the average Joe to justify the price of a diesel these days though.

Ten grand more for the diesel with diesel running $1+ more per gallon than gas? It doesn't really pencil very well. Whatever.....

loomixguy said:
Ten grand more for the diesel with diesel running $1+ more per gallon than gas? It doesn't really pencil very well. Whatever.....
aggravating. Bought my first diesel in 07 and the prices were reversed. I can get 11.5-12 mpg with my 95 stroke or 5-6 with a Chevy 350.

loomixguy said:
Ten grand more for the diesel with diesel running $1+

I said that to the cowboys at the feed store they corrected me you get half the mileage with a gas

I brought my GMC duramax new in 09 Yea the government year Pricing between dealers the truck I got was actually cheaper than a Chevy with a gas engine. So there is a high markup on all of them

Drive em all or let them putt out on the gravel roads or pastures big difference

Plenty of Dodges on the roads kids running people off the roads plenty loud as well

Lot of Chevy and GMC trucks here not many Fords evne though we have a dealer

My lifetime with pickups 5 fords all junk at 100,000 miles
two chevys one junk at 100,000 miles other other one excellent truck
two dodges one great till the cab rusted out the other junk at 45,000 miles
and present GMC ok so far 5 years old 110,000 miles

Maybe I am just hard on pickups all my only truck go to work , feed cows pull trailer and go to town short trips

Thanks guys, I drove a friend's F550 to Colorado to pull a feed wagon back. And again a week later to drag the thing back. It was a 900 supreme and I pulled it 60 to 70 all the way home and back. I would like to drive a dodge 5500, I have drove another friends 06 2500 diesel and the Trans scared me bit, I think that straight 6 just needs more gears behind it IMO. They do have the new HD 6 speed Trans in new ones now.

The 81 Chevy I used to haul feed had the hog block 454 with a 4 speed manual and 3:73 gears. Too tall for what I was doing but it was what I had. 3rd got used an awful lot, especially on the gravel. It got 10 mpg. Loaded, empty, pasture or highway, it got 10. My 6.0 will only beat that by 1.5-2 mpg being used the exact same way. The bigger gas engines will be more economical on fuel than a weak sister 350 Chevy, in my experience. Gotta feed the horses, whether in the barn or under the hood.

Latest posts