• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fabric Covered Buildings

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rem_243

Reaction score
Does anyone have any personal experience with fabric covered buildings? Throwing around the idea of putting one up, just wondering what some peoples pros and cons are with these buildings. Thanks

really like mine,have one that is open on one end mostly for hay storage
white with a couple blue stripes...........nice and light inside,only takes one bulb to light it up at night
cross my fingers every time we have a wind storm.......so far no troubles
handles a pretty good snow load too
guess I would recommend one

The first time I saw one I wasnt impressed, living in the yellowstone river valley where the wind gusts in the spring and fall up to 100 mph sometimes for days I thought "that thing isnt going to last for long" . That has been a few years ago now and the "building" ( tent ?) (whatever?) Is still there. One thing however, the building does have a very exellent windbreak of tall cottonwoods between it and the prevailing wind, from what I have been told these structures are absolutly a you get what you paid for deal, the good ones are supposed to be pretty strong as long as the wind dosent find too many places to get in, the frame on this one is steel and I believe set in concrete. I personally am still a little wary of the wind around here to really want to try one. good luck 8)

The first hoop building we put up went down under a heavy load of snow and Ice during a week long ice storm of 1998. Dad bought a trust ribbed one for the 2nd building instead of the single pipe support ribs. The 2nd hoop building has been up since 1999, will have to replace the tarp on it in another year or so. The 3rd hoop building is similiar to the 2nd but 10 feet longer and 4 feet higher on its supporting wall. I am hoping to put up another hoop building in a year or so for more hay storage.

DSC00212.jpg

16' cattle panels bent into an arch overlapping a bit, hog-ringed together, t-posts outside hold it down. made a decent horse-hay shed. was nearly out of hay before hurricane ike hit so i took tarp off, didn't figure it'd make it.

We used to sell and install hoop buildings. The buildings are pretty good but it does depend on location, as far as wind. The single tube buildings, usually under 36' wide, I would not put up in an open area. They need to be installed where there is wind breaks, most are rated 80-90 wind load but only gusts, and 50-55 sustained. The truss style buildings are rated much higher for both snow and wind and are way better buildings. Compare the steel before you buy there are alot of junk buildings(light steel that relie on cables for strength. The best buildings are Pro-Tec made by Sioux Steel Co, the steel quality is much higher. Any other questions pm me or post. Alot of ways to save $ depending on installation and use, not that hard to install but alot of tricks to make it easier.

Saw one that used corral panels like the cattle panel one.

Guy on the highway in Wallowa County used to build a wood roof on a stack.

I use the tarps from outdoor advertising. Heavy duty tarp material almost as good as tarps on flatbeds hauling lumber.

Dust Devil, could you please provide some more pictures of the outside and base of your little building thanx

i end up with several 18'x48' hay tarps that aren't good enough for hay covers any more, but good enough for something like your building.

I'm @ work tonight but I'll send a pic or 2 to photobucket and fwd to Ranchers manana. thanks, Dan

Here's a camera phone pic.
hayshed.jpg

The bottom of the wire panels are clipped to the t-posts with t-post clips. The other side is hog-ringed on the bottom to a cattle panel that is a wing on the fence turning in to the gate. I put some foam pipe insulation around the posts to help protect the tarp. The poly tarp is cable-tied to the wire panel on the inside where it folds under. Bottom of tarp is cable-tied to the bottom or near bottom of the cattle panels. It's a good idea to pad the end of the panels where the tarp folds over with split hose or 1/2" ID foam insulation.
I used a small 10' x 12' tarp to close the end of the shed using bungee cords. The inside height of the arch is 6'. Hay sits on old tires. Had to muscle in the round bales but not too hard to do.
PS, the tarp holds up pretty well, but if it gets leaky, just put another tarp over that one and the old one helps protect the new one from wearing through.
Redneck Tech

Depending on where you are or how much you like driving, you can see some good ones Cammack Supply at Union Center has been using (and selling and installing) for several years. I'd venture the wind blows about as hard there as anywhere. They actually had a joined one to their wooden frame (if I recall correctly) store, then on the opposite end, to a larger 'plastic' building. I think they had very good bows, or whatever they are called, to hold things up, and it appears to be under some tension. Some, i believe, are used as factories in KS or someplace we have driven by in years past. There are a few in the area, but I've not seen them up close.

They just seem pretty sensible, to me, with the light they allow in, and not sure how costs compare with permanent buildings, but I'd encourage our crew to go for one if we were to need a large area building.

mrj

Latest posts