• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fact ? or wishful thinking?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Canada: Computerized Cattle Rush Underway as Cattlemen Flood Registry

Canadian Press, September 25, 2005

CALGARY (CP) - It's a cattle rush of a different kind. Canadian cattlemen have flooded a computer registry in recent weeks to log the birthdate of animals born in the last 18 months, hoping it will be easier to get them to foreign markets.

More than 550,000 young cattle have been registered in the federal database since Sept. 1 for a total of 682,000 animals. That's up from 10,000 at the end of May.

"It's happening very quickly," said Julie Stitt, executive director for the Canadian Cattle Identification Agency. "It's really neat to see the industry jumping on this in terms of submitting records."

After the mad cow crisis, many countries only want meat from animals less than 30 months old and age verification is key to broadening export opportunities.

Producers were initially slow to sign on to the voluntary program, a process which takes only minutes on the agency's website. Some were skeptical the extra paperwork would mean a payoff for anyone but meatpackers.

Auctioneer Blair Vold says in the last month, feedlots have been asking that calves to be sold in the fall run have their age verified.

"There's more pressure from feedlots, dealers and buyers to get the message out to producers," said Vold, whose operation in Ponoka, Alta., is the largest in Canada.

"They've got the tags in their calves' ears. It's a matter of attaching their birthdates to that tag number and that's what we're trying to get producers to do."

Of 8,000 animals offered for sale at a satellite auction Friday, 6,000 had age verification documents, Vold said.

Producers won't have a choice much longer. Alberta will make age verification mandatory by the spring of 2007.

The process is easier and less intrusive than having a veterinarian determine the age of an animal by examining teeth.

Although Vold isn't promising cattlemen a premium for the certificate, some buyers are willing to pay extra for the documentation.

"I'm betting these animals will be worth more," said Kee Jim of Okotoks, Alta., who has been paying about $15 more for each age-verified calf.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has said it will accept age verification for exports. And a technical team from Japan reviewed the process earlier this month in Calgary, said Stitt.

"We demonstrated the system and they complimented us on how it met all of their requirements," said Stitt. "So far, we've not heard that we need to change anything or require producers to do anything additional."

There's still a long way to go. About five million calves were born in Alberta this spring alone.

But Canada is years ahead of the United States. The U.S. government has no plans to verify the age of cattle and won't have a national identification system in place until 2009.

For the last three years, Canada has also required animals to have eartags with identifying bar codes before leaving their herd of origin. Authorities can then quickly trace and isolate potential threats from the three cases of bovine spongiform encephalopathy detected in Canadian cattle.

Shipments of beef processed from young animals kept the Canadian cattle industry afloat in the two years after mad cow disease was discovered in May 2003 and before live cattle trade resumed with the United States.

Global sales of boxed beef were worth $1.9 billion in 2004 - $1.5 billion to the U.S. alone.

Producers have lost more than $7 billion in exports during the crisis, but most believe foreign markets will begin to resume trade with Canada by 2007.

Ted Haney of the Canada Beef Export Federation says there's nothing like economic incentive to speed up age verification. That may only happen after the first beef is exported to Japan.

"When the price premium is actually in the system, when access to Japan isn't theoretical but actual, that's when we'll start to see significant numbers," says Haney.

At the federation's recent annual meeting, increasing the number of age-verified cattle was cited as key to the success of an ambitious mad cow recovery plan. That plan would see exports ramped up sharply over the next decade while reducing reliance on the U.S. market.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has said it will accept age verification for exports. And a technical team from Japan reviewed the process earlier this month in Calgary, said Stitt

You mean Japan is still looking at age verification by records and not by some high priced automated system? Why are they looking at age, why not a live test?

heck, those Canadians are in a corner, wonder who will come out punching?

Japan - here we come.

One minor suggestion was made by yours truely to Key Jim last week. Maybe the feeders could help the cow calf guy out with the cost. Sounds like it may be happening without alterations to the program.

I know of a nice little custom lot Sandhusker. In fact buy em tag em, and I'll even give you an option of selling some (if we need em) to a nice little complimentary integrated market. Your money is good in Canada isn't it?

rkaiser said:
I know of a nice little custom lot Sandhusker. In fact buy em tag em, and I'll even give you an option of selling some (if we need em) to a nice little complimentary integrated market. Your money is good in Canada isn't it?

You realize I'm a R-CALF member.... my money might be good to buy but selling might be a problem :lol:

Our mutual friend, Cargill, (who just got the blessings from your govt. to expand) was playing games with us recently. Don't make them mad, they aren't afraid to use their power against you.

Hell, 20 years from now, Celtic and Co. (Randy's beef) will be defending themselves on here as one of those "multi-nationals.

Dr. Kee Jim can afford to pay the extra 15 bucks per head. As an owner-manager-vet with Feedlot Health, he is managing the health/vaccination/pesticides regime for more than a few feedlots in Western Canada.

He has shown a distinct unwillingness to discuss the science of BSE. I wouldn't mind, Randy, if you put a little bug in his ear next time you see him, and tell him that Les and Kathy are still on track with their research, if he dares to debate the science. There is a heck of alot of stuff coming out right now dealing with oxidative stresses and metal deposits in neurodegenerative diseases.

I wonder what levels of oxidative stress result from the use of these pour-on pesticides? We know that it creates a poisonous environment for the parasites.... why would it be healthy for the cow?

I actually had a vet tell me that the spot-ons used for dogs and cats is a poison that only effects an enzyme used by the fleas, etc. and not the animal. Bull!@ If this were the case, then you could dose the animal every day and have no effect on it. Let's see what happens if you double dose or multiple dose a pour-on pesticide on any animal. The withdrawal periods for these pour-ons has been lengthened over the last few years, also. Either this vet was lying, or doesn't know his business.

Just say no! Try more natural methods and manage your pastures better. Let's quit poisoning our animals!

Haymaker- " Fact or wishfull thinking"?

It is a fact, Haymaker. I expect that this age verification deal, coupled with individual animal ID, is going to bring me an extra 28 to 30 thousand dollars this year.....and all this from my "junk", Canucklehead, non-Angus,feed-em 210 days per year, BSE infested cow herd. :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol:

PS. Did you know that all "Crown Royal" Whiskey is made right here in Manitoba??? 1.4 Million barrels a year of it. That's right. 1.4 MILLION BARRELS!!! Any rye that I don't cut for silage, I combine and sell it to the distiller that makes Crown Royal. That is also a FACT and not fiction!!!
Drink up, Haymaker!!! :lol:

TimH said:
Haymaker- " Fact or wishfull thinking"?

It is a fact, Haymaker. I expect that this age verification deal, coupled with individual animal ID, is going to bring me an extra 28 to 30 thousand dollars this year.....and all this from my "junk", Canucklehead, non-Angus,feed-em 210 days per year, BSE infested cow herd. :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol:

PS. Did you know that all "Crown Royal" Whiskey is made right here in Manitoba??? 1.4 Million barrels a year of it. That's right. 1.4 MILLION BARRELS!!! Any rye that I don't cut for silage, I combine and sell it to the distiller that makes Crown Royal. That is also a FACT and not fiction!!!
Drink up, Haymaker!!! :lol:

You are a good man tiny tim,I believe you oughta quit messing with those ole nasty cows,getting cow sh*t on your boots,kicked in the ass,steped on stomped on etc. concentrate on that combining,that's where your real talents lie :D :D :D .........................good luck

In answer to your title of this thread Haymaker I would say it is fact on Canada's part and wishful thinking on the US side of the border. After all according to Oldtimer and others, brands and manifests are all is really needed. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Latest posts