• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fair Market Beef

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sandhusker said:
Kato said:
I have been told that in the U.S., if an organization is sued and is ruled against, that the members of that organization are liable for the settlement money.

Is this true? If so, it could have serious consequences for members if the ruling was against them. Perhaps some of our American friends here could answer this.

If it is true, are the ordinary rank and file members of R-Calf aware of it? If I was a member, I'd want to know. :?

As for whether it succeeds or not, that's not the issue. The real issue is that when someone goes to the public with such blatant lies about your integrity, it's your responsibility to defend yourself. To do less would be to invite more slander.

I'm certainly no legal expert, but I seriously doubt that is the case. Consider the fact that shareholders of public companies are actually owners and they can not be held liable for actions of that company. With that in mind, it certainly makes no sense that liabilty would be incurred simply by being a dues-paying member of a trade org.

I'm not worried in the least. I'm also not real sure you're going to be able to pin many "lies" on R-CALF. I think all you're going to end up doing is introducing more US consumers to the fact that you've got BSE up there - and that plays right into the hands of R-CALF. Lets say that if you do win a case (and I'll bet just about anything this slander suit flops totally quickly), R-CALF simply disbands and forms as S-CALF, or something to that effect. They have no assets to speak of - you'ld get some used office equipment worth a couple thousand.

Instead of going after R-CALF, why not channel you efforts towards something that will actually help you out, like build a packing plant or getting rid of the politicians up there who are under the AMI's and USDA's thumbs?

AMEN Sandhusker--The current Canadian suit strategy is like trying to blow smokerings in a hurricane-- A puff of wish's....... Trying to prove a slander/libel case is extremely difficult... First you have to prove that "the lies" are actually that- actually false-- a very difficult task in a science thats made up of theories, speculation, and ever changing facts- one in which no two countries can agree on standards- one in which a US Federal District Judge and 52 US Senators have agreed with the possible defendants.... Then you have to prove it was intentional and done malischiously to harm each aggrieved individual...Very tough to do when the suit and the challenges were not filed against any Canadians individually or as a group- rather against a US government agency-- USDA.......

If activist groups could be successfully sued for every action or statement issued- PETA. Greenpeace, Nature Conservancy, Federalist Society, Ku Klux Klan would all have been history long ago and Micheal Moore would be in the poorhouse or prison--But in the US we still have freedom of choice of political, religous and idealogical beliefs and speach... And the right to challenge our government when we feel they are wrong....

But I do know Montana attornies are underemployed and can always use the money ......Montanas economy is hurting and has recieved little Canadian cash input for the last several years......

Hat said:
The border is closed to the cattle dumping Canucks who've been the ruin of hog,wheat, and now cattle producers south of the border. I'm glad you all are finally getting what you deserve and I hope your misfortune continues. I'm a US cattleman and I'm NOT your neighbor or your neighbour clean up your own mess, bring on the lawsuit. April 11th will be just another day the Montana courts have given you what you deserve. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My heart bleeds purple piss for you...things are rough all over .Have a nice day ...boy

don't let "HAT" , aka "NEBRUSKER" get to ya. he's just the best example of far-right, protectionist policies that's available. blow him off-guarantee it'll get a reaction from him. poor baby....

chuckie said:
don't let "HAT" , aka "NEBRUSKER" get to ya. he's just the best example of far-right, protectionist policies that's available. blow him off-guarantee it'll get a reaction from him. poor baby....
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Quote: Hat said
you are the biggest loser in the world when you turn your back on the org that has gotten you $1.25 cwt calves. But I guess you don't care when you only have 4 head and are a hobby joke farmer like yourself. Get your worthless tail back to the rest of the bucket calf raisers over on Cattle Today. You make me sick.

You are one to talk,calling someone else a hobby joke farmer,when all you are is a squatter!!Why don't you go back to playing with your sheep,and leave the cattle raising to people that actually know,what they are talking about!! Hat you truely are,one big JOKE!

Hat said:
chuckie said:

I could really care less what you think, blow me off. I care about my bottom line, I care about US ranchers, I care about their families and the communities in which they live. I don't care what happens to Canadian ranchers, I AM A US RANCHER it's about time you all wisened up and start looking out for yourselves the line has been drawn. Like Merle Haggard said, if you don't love it leave it. We'll in my opinion If you are a US rancher or hobby joke farmer and you donate $20 to a fund for a no where bound civil suit against a group who you owe your record calf prices to, then you can just go to hell. That just flat out disgusts me, what do the rest of you US ranchers think. I don't want to hear from any momma boy "I wanna be a RCMP when I grow up" Canuck whiners. Go feed your sheep boys, and this time use a bottle.

I think you are going to find out what hells all about mommas boy.

Tam said:
I'm also not real sure you're going to be able to pin many "lies" on R-CALF.

What part of "we know Canada still processes downers and the US doesn't process downers" is true, what part of "Canada has a chronic problem with their feed bans and the CFIA have proof" is true? What part of "All Canadian beef is tainted and a genuine risk of death to US consumers" is true? These are just three of the lies R-CALF leadership have put to the media and should have to answer for.

I don't know about the downers part, but I doubt that would be worth a settlement over $5. The part about feed bans would be hard to prove a lie as there is evidence you have had problems. You can't call him a liar about claiming Canadian beef is tainted as you do have BSE - and recent cases to boot. So much of what I see from R-CALF that have been labeled "lies" are actually just differences of opinion - and that doesn't get you anywhere in court.

Hat said:
frenchie said:
Hat said:
I could really care less what you think, blow me off. I care about my bottom line, I care about US ranchers, I care about their families and the communities in which they live. I don't care what happens to Canadian ranchers, I AM A US RANCHER it's about time you all wisened up and start looking out for yourselves the line has been drawn. Like Merle Haggard said, if you don't love it leave it. We'll in my opinion If you are a US rancher or hobby joke farmer and you donate $20 to a fund for a no where bound civil suit against a group who you owe your record calf prices to, then you can just go to hell. That just flat out disgusts me, what do the rest of you US ranchers think. I don't want to hear from any momma boy "I wanna be a RCMP when I grow up" Canuck whiners. Go feed your sheep boys, and this time use a bottle.

I think you are going to find out what hells all about mommas boy.

If I go to hell protecting the economic viability of my chosen occupation and my community, then so be it. I refuse to sit and listen to you whining Canucks tell me how I should feel guilty about the border. You got what you deserve. And you Polly Prissy Pants are in to situation to judge who will and who won't go to hell. CLEAN YOUR HOUSE BEFORE YOU CLEAN MINE BOY.

Yeah it must be rough for a young boy like you to look after all them sheep..

[LA4ANGUS, you are the biggest loser in the world when you turn your back on the org that has gotten you $1.25 cwt calves. But I guess you don't care when you only have 4 head and are a hobby joke farmer like yourself. Get your worthless tail back to the rest of the bucket calf raisers over on Cattle Today. You make me sick.[/quote]

Response...Do you have a clue where we are in the cattle cycle? Was R-Calf responsible for previous cyclical advances very similar to this one prior to R-Calf's existence?!!! These events happen approximately every 25 years; but I don't expect you would know that. The last one was 1977-1979. If you knew squat about the market you would not have made such a baseless and foolish statement.

Oldtimer said:
Sandhusker said:
Kato said:
I have been told that in the U.S., if an organization is sued and is ruled against, that the members of that organization are liable for the settlement money.

Is this true? If so, it could have serious consequences for members if the ruling was against them. Perhaps some of our American friends here could answer this.

If it is true, are the ordinary rank and file members of R-Calf aware of it? If I was a member, I'd want to know. :?

As for whether it succeeds or not, that's not the issue. The real issue is that when someone goes to the public with such blatant lies about your integrity, it's your responsibility to defend yourself. To do less would be to invite more slander.

I'm certainly no legal expert, but I seriously doubt that is the case. Consider the fact that shareholders of public companies are actually owners and they can not be held liable for actions of that company. With that in mind, it certainly makes no sense that liabilty would be incurred simply by being a dues-paying member of a trade org.

I'm not worried in the least. I'm also not real sure you're going to be able to pin many "lies" on R-CALF. I think all you're going to end up doing is introducing more US consumers to the fact that you've got BSE up there - and that plays right into the hands of R-CALF. Lets say that if you do win a case (and I'll bet just about anything this slander suit flops totally quickly), R-CALF simply disbands and forms as S-CALF, or something to that effect. They have no assets to speak of - you'ld get some used office equipment worth a couple thousand.

Instead of going after R-CALF, why not channel you efforts towards something that will actually help you out, like build a packing plant or getting rid of the politicians up there who are under the AMI's and USDA's thumbs?

AMEN Sandhusker--The current Canadian suit strategy is like trying to blow smokerings in a hurricane-- A puff of wish's....... Trying to prove a slander/libel case is extremely difficult... First you have to prove that "the lies" are actually that- actually false-- a very difficult task in a science thats made up of theories, speculation, and ever changing facts- one in which no two countries can agree on standards- one in which a US Federal District Judge and 52 US Senators have agreed with the possible defendants.... Then you have to prove it was intentional and done malischiously to harm each aggrieved individual...Very tough to do when the suit and the challenges were not filed against any Canadians individually or as a group- rather against a US government agency-- USDA.......

If activist groups could be successfully sued for every action or statement issued- PETA. Greenpeace, Nature Conservancy, Federalist Society, Ku Klux Klan would all have been history long ago and Micheal Moore would be in the poorhouse or prison--But in the US we still have freedom of choice of political, religous and idealogical beliefs and speach... And the right to challenge our government when we feel they are wrong....

But I do know Montana attornies are underemployed and can always use the money ......Montanas economy is hurting and has recieved little Canadian cash input for the last several years......

"If activist groups could be successfully sued for every action or statement issued- PETA. Greenpeace, Nature Conservancy, Federalist Society, Ku Klux Klan would all have been history long ago"

That's an interesting group for you to compare R-Calf to.

You don't get it, Sash. If owners of a public company can not be held liable, how can simple dues paying members of a trade org. be liable? A public company is a much bigger horse than a trade org. You've got nothing.

A corporation is considered to be an independent entity in the eyes of the law. Similar to a person. R-CALF is not a corporation it is a non-profit organization. Members of the board will be responsible for coming up with money awarded if R-CALF can't come up with it on its own. I don't know who else has been named but I know for sure that Leo and Bullard have and a few other members who have made false statements will be defendants in the case. Good Luck.

Sandhusker said:
Tam said:
I'm also not real sure you're going to be able to pin many "lies" on R-CALF.

What part of "we know Canada still processes downers and the US doesn't process downers" is true, what part of "Canada has a chronic problem with their feed bans and the CFIA have proof" is true? What part of "All Canadian beef is tainted and a genuine risk of death to US consumers" is true? These are just three of the lies R-CALF leadership have put to the media and should have to answer for.

I don't know about the downers part, but I doubt that would be worth a settlement over $5. The part about feed bans would be hard to prove a lie as there is evidence you have had problems. You can't call him a liar about claiming Canadian beef is tainted as you do have BSE - and recent cases to boot. So much of what I see from R-CALF that have been labeled "lies" are actually just differences of opinion - and that doesn't get you anywhere in court.

I doubt it matters if Leo knows about the downer part either as it doesn't seem to matter if it is true as long as it sounds good and scares people into supporting R-CALF's stand. Leo said Chronic problems which the NCBA and the USDA were in Canada and both had reports saying we had a robust feed system and good compliance. Maybe the NCBA and the USDA would like to tesify. And R-CALF didn't say some Canadian beef was tainted they said ALL Canadian beef was tainted which I think if you care to look at the testing done by Canada you will find that only three animals in Canada have had BSE. That is far from ALL in most peoples opinion. As far as that goes if ALL Canadian beef is tainted how is it that the U.S has the safest beef supply in the WORLD didn't some of the OTM cattle in the U.S. come from CANADA?

Canadian cattle ranchers sue feed mills, government

by Pete Hisey on 4/7/2005 for Meatingplace.com

A Quebec rancher has filed a class-action lawsuit against a major Canadian feedmill operator, Ridley Inc., as well as the federal government, claiming that the feed industry and the government should have discontinued ruminant-to-ruminant feed long before the feed ban was enacted in 1997.

Ridley, in a press release, said that it expected farmers in other provinces to file similar lawsuits.

According to Ridley, which has not been formally served with the complaint, the Quebec farmer names Ridley, Canada's solicitor general and the Ministry of Agriculture as defendants. The suit was filed in the Superior Court of the Province of Quebec, District of Montreal, and asks that it be certified as a class action on behalf of other Quebec cattle ranchers who lost money due to the closure of the U.S. border in 2003. The plaintiff said in the filing that his losses totaled $100,000 (Canadian).

Steve VanRoekel, president and chief executive of Ridley, said that the company has been in full compliance with all regulations "relevant to the May 2003 BSE case." The company, he said, "is confident that the allegations will prove meritless and we intend to vigorously defend this suit."

Ridley is based in both Mankato, Minn., and Winnipeg, Manitoba, and is publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

Hat said:
Les said:
Hat I have to ask you this question..........Do you squat to pee?

No but I heard your boy friend Bubba always made you be the woman when you played house in the poke. Good luck with your Cattle Industry and tell Bubba hi.

Hat, my little homosexual friend, what is this infatuation you seem to have with these big strapping Canadian cowboys. Maybe we could get you a job on the rodeo circuit up here. I here some of those boys get an itch after they been away from home for awhile. I can just see it you'll be famous. 'Mr. Hat R-Calf puppet and Queen of the rodeo circuit' :lol: :lol:

reader (the Second) said:
SASH you should be ashamed of yourself regardless of the provocation offered by HAT.

If he wants to throw these debates into the gutter, I'm willing to argue them there as well.

Latest posts