• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fair price

Help Support Ranchers.net:

oldblood

Reaction score
I have a cow at my place for a friend. He brought her in late June to get breed. She is still with my cattle running corn stalks. I have salt, mineral & allixs with them at alltime. He said he would pay what ever I thought. That is a fair price per day?

Figure your costs...supplement, salt, & mineral will be knocking on the door of 50 cents a day, if not a little more...then there's the grazing and the bull service. If he was a good friend, I wouldn't be bashful to ask for $1/day. If he wasn't that great of a friend, I'd ask for more, especially if you were renting pasture and or stalks. But that's just me.

Custom rates for grazing and care are typically $1.00-1.50 from everybody I have talked to over the past year. If its a good friend I would discount the rate to cost only.

One cow for one friend? I wouldn't charge a thing, shake hands tell him no charge and roll on.

Big Muddy rancher said:
You should have loaded her up in September and invited yourself over for supper. :D
Always a tough deal dealing with friends.

Which is why I do my best to not have any...

:lol2:

4Diamond

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
One cow for one friend? I wouldn't charge a thing, shake hands tell him no charge and roll on.
4D I know what your saying but if I did that I would have her here until she an old cull.

You are east river. keep her, sell the calves as your own, and keep on going. Cows are pricey. Let him own her, and you sell the calves. Sounds like a win win to me.

One cow? You're worried about one cow ??? I doubt her expenses will break your bank.

If it's truly your friend, forget it and move on.

If you HAVE to have some sort on monetary settlement, let him buy you lunch one day.

kolanuraven
Rancher
Rancher

New postPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote
One cow? You're worried about one cow ??? I doubt her expenses will break your bank.

If you HAVE to have some sort on monetary settlement, let him buy you lunch one day.
Not so much worried about myself. The frist 6 weeks she was on my dads pasture with my heifers then the next 6 weeks she went to a nother friends pasture with the heifer bull as she was not settled. Neither are friends of the owner.

[/quote]4D I know what your saying but if I did that I would have her here until she an old cull.[/quote]

I can see this happening - - - on two occasions "friends" have brought female dogs to me to get bred - - - I am supposed to get the pick of the litter.

They then say " This is such a nice place, can't my dog just stay here?" They want me to feed, house and care for "their pet", sell the pups and give them the money. No I am not doing that - - - I have almost stopped doing outside breeding.

I feel I am a nice guy but you have to set limits or you will be steamrolled.

Then who would be responsible if an animal ( your's or their's ) gets hurt - - - I just prefer to not have animals here that are not mine.

kolanuraven said:

Easy to say when you're cashing those trust fund checks. :wink:

loomixguy said:
kolanuraven said:

And your comment comes from a pure cheap b'tard.

kolanuraven said:
loomixguy said:
kolanuraven said:

And your comment comes from a pure cheap b'tard.

Those checks a sore spot for you, hon?

I think it depends on the whole picture. Does your friend help you out, it's one thing to show appreciation, come help work calves, preg, fix fence, etc. If he just sent her over and forgot her and you when you needed a hand, I would charge him. If he has something to offer and you feel bad about charging him ask him to help out. If he doesn't want to help out, send him a bill and tell him you don't have room when he ask next year. Being friends is a two way street.

Latest posts