• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fall 2011!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WyomingRancher

Reaction score
Seeing as it's snowing today, with 5-8 inches predicted, I decided it was time to post some pics :) . This has been a good summer/fall, but I'm ready for the calves to be shipped next week :wink: .

Jake surrounded by curious yearlings this summer.
Summer165.jpg

Jake and me ready to trail the yearlings and pairs which didn't go to the forest home.
Summer178.jpg

Heading home.
Summer188.jpg

Summer189.jpg

Once home, we split the heifers off, worked them, and put them in their own pasture so they'd be out of the way for the rest of cow working this fall.
Summer237.jpg

Summer224.jpg

Summer209.jpg

Summer226.jpg

Next, we gathered the forest cattle and hauled them home.
Summer264.jpg

I sort the potential replacements and their mothers as they unload off of the truck from the forest. I had to stick some calves in a pen until the trucks with cows were unloaded, then I could sort them. I don't remember 100% who goes where, but I get close... and they usually have my mistakes fixed for me by the time I get back from lunch :wink: :D.
Summer282.jpg

A few days after getting home, the heifers are bangs vaccinated and weaned, and their mothers are worked.
Summer320.jpg

A lot of elk, and a lot of fence fixing :mad:
Summer259.jpg

The sale calves get sold next week :wink: :D .
Summer330.jpg

Summer332.jpg

Summer306.jpg

Summer292.jpg

Summer343.jpg

Summer318.jpg

Really good looking heifers...nice and fat! Sounds like we are on the same page as you; bangs vaccinating in a few days, shipping in a few weeks, about have all our girls home off the forest here, and sorting heifer replacements today (not me...i'm home with our 14 month old boy)! Where in WY you at---eastern part of the state?
PS....am DROOLING over the bull elk!

I very much enjoyed looking at these pictures! Cattle look good and very heathly.

Nice looking set of cattle, Especially like the yearling heifers. And like Wy Wind sence I have a Elk tag in three weeks I would love one of those bulls. Ps hopefully you have LOP tags and can harvest a few to offset the fence repair :)

Thanks for the compliments :D .

The calves were sold in July, and promptly afterwards, 5 of our very top steers tipped over from Brisket disease. They didn't present like normal, just alive one day, dead the next. They had enlarged hearts, and diagnostics came back negative for anything viral. It was just strange they didn't retain much fluid, and were top end calves :? . I just hope these replacement heifers aren't time bombs, ready to express brisket in themselves or their offspring, time for some crossbreeding!

The house is on some leased ground, it's an old homestead. I wish the people would restore it because it is very neat. And yes, I'm located in SE Wyoming.

For the elk hunters, here are a few more shots for you. The dark elk is really different, maybe his mom got bred by a moose? :lol:
Summer256.jpg

Bulls during yesterday's snowstorm.
Summer349.jpg

And BM, it CAN be pretty this time of year, I hope we go back to warm and mild for another 45-60 days. This snow will help the corrals for shipping Thursday though :wink: :D .
Summer351.jpg

Latest posts