• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fall photos, as of September 20, 2011

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Pregcheckingyearlingheifers.jpg

Preg checking yearling heifers
Itsadirtyjobbutsomebodyhastodoit.jpg

It's a dirty job but somebody has to do it. :wink:
Pooroldslavelaborheiferpusherisalongside.jpg

Poor old slave labor heifer pusher standing alongside
Ifhegotpaidbetterhecouldgetanewhat.jpg

If he got paid better he could get a new hat.
Coyotehillfromadifferentangle.jpg

Coyote hill from a different angle
Wearedrivingaroundcheckingheifers.jpg

We are driving around checking heifers.
Apointofprominence.jpg

A point of prominence
Checkingcattleandpastureconditions.jpg

Checking cattle and pasture conditions
Fallcalves.jpg

Fall calves
Oneredoneinthebunch.jpg

One red one in the bunch
Puttingpairsinthecorraltopreconditioncalves.jpg

Putting pairs in the corral to pre-condition calves
Theyareheadedtherightdirection.jpg

They are headed the right direction.
Iwouldlikethissqueezechutebetter.jpg

I would like this squeeze chute better if the pipes on the headcatch were straight up and down. Both cows and calves can choke if the chute operator is not continually vigilante.
Calvesinthecorral.jpg

Steer calves in the corral

Big Muddy rancher said:
How's JF's leg doing?

Thanks for asking BMR. I'm doin' good. 'Got the cast off yesterday and they put me in a boot, which comes off allowing me to work the ankle to get some movement back in it. They still claim I should not put any weight on it for another 3 weeks. We'll see about that. However, I'm beginning to wonder if I really want to go back to life as a workin' man!

If the top of his head had no more natural cover than mine, he would have a new hat! :wink:

I guess that the designers of chutes slope the sides to reduce head throwing, but I am like you, I want the straight pipes, but have one shaped like yours.

Calves and cattle look great! More great pictures of getting it done. Thanks for taking the time to shoot and post pictures.

I like seeing and reading you like the Preifert chutes except the tapered headgate. I need to get a chute some day so I can quit using the two gate swinging together deal I use now. With there being so many Preifert chutes within 30 miles of me, it would be the easiest way for me to get one.

R A said:
Calves and cattle look great! More great pictures of getting it done. Thanks for taking the time to shoot and post pictures.

I like seeing and reading you like the Preifert chutes except the tapered headgate. I need to get a chute some day so I can quit using the two gate swinging together deal I use now. With there being so many Preifert chutes within 30 miles of me, it would be the easiest way for me to get one.

Preiferts are darn good squeeze chutes, but I do wish they had an optional model with straight bars on the headgate. They are great people to work with otherwise.

Here is a picture, taken this morning, of our old Palco that we bought in 1988. It has straight bars on the headgate, and sure doesn't choke cattle down as bad as does the curved pipes.

ThisoldPalcochutehasstraightbars.jpg

jodywy said:
how many chutes to you have?

Two Prieferts and one Palco. Three different locations to work cattle. This is a good reason not to worry about having a hydraulic chute that would have to be moved around. Besides, I like the peace and quiet and no oil leaks of manual chutes. :wink:

Soapweed said:
Preiferts are darn good squeeze chutes, but I do wish they had an optional model with straight bars on the headgate. They are great people to work with otherwise.

Here is a picture, taken this morning, of our old Palco that we bought in 1988. It has straight bars on the headgate, and sure doesn't choke cattle down as bad as does the curved pipes.

Yeah, I see what you mean by the difference in head gates. Thanks for posting that. I get it done, but the day I have a chute will be great. It'll be my next purchase of something I need. I know it will slick doctoring the older stuff in my operation out and that needs to be done bad.....I guess that goes without sayin :D

Latest posts