• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Family Homestead

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Rambo

Reaction score
1914_Homestead.jpg

My families homestead in 1914. My 10 year old grandfather is in the middle of the photo by the grey's rear leg. He was born in the barn 10 years earlier. I'm not sure what year the sod house was built.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Where was the homestead at?

North Dakota, inside the corner of where the Missouri river stops flowing east and heads south.

The sod house is still standing.

The dam was put in in the late 40's. The homestead is about a mile and half south of the main channel of the Missouri, and probably about 250 feet above it. Now it is about a mile south of the lake. Built on top of a hill like all the German-Russians around here did. :roll: It must have flooded in the old country.

Blkbuckaroo said:
Neat pics and story,barn before the house :) ,who says we don't care about our animals :wink:

Yeah, they did hold livestock in high esteem. The story is one of the horses ran away, followed the Missouri south. My great-grandfather finally caught it at Yangton, SD. About 600 miles away. He was on foot. He must have been a tough of hombre. He's in the far left front on the picture.

would that be close to McClusky ND ??? my wifes maternal grandparents are from that area, German Russians them selves.... looked through a lot of old pictures from that area.

jigs said:
would that be close to McClusky ND ??? my wifes maternal grandparents are from that area, German Russians them selves.... looked through a lot of old pictures from that area.

~50 miles west of McClusky

Latest posts