• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fans of older country music

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Turkey Track Bar

Reaction score
Hey older country music fans (like 50's, 60's and early 70's era) you've got to check out Martina McBride's new CD "Timeless."

I'm not necessarily the biggest Martina fan, but she did a knock out job on songs like "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden," "Once a Day," "Pick Me Up on Your Way Down," "Heartaches by the Number," "Satin Sheets," "Make the World Go Away," and others.

I usually don't spend $$$ on cd's but did this one--a co worker had it, and I knew I wanted it. The music is so "decompressing" to quote my co worker, plus I'm guessing most of these songs will be just too uncool to be on the radio. In my mind all that's missing is some Patsy Cline.

Cheers!

TTB

we will have to check it out, got XM radio for fathers day this year, got a station that is called "Hanks Place", nothing but old good stuff, will not play any of this garbage they call country music now. Sure makes the tractor time go by better :!:

Isn't that XM radio just the greatest? And you are right about the music.

Hanks is great, that is until they start pouring that beer. Drives me nuts. I switch stations them. :p

America is another great music channel. I have mine programmed to switch from Hank's Place to America Music channel. In the morning it is excellent, maybe better than Hanks Place...

Then of course, I like ASK! and America Right...

Hanta Yo, thanks for the tip. I'll get that Martina CD. Another one we really like and I think we've worn out is a CD by "The Mavericks." Such catchy music. I had never heard them before until once on tv. Wish I could think of the name of a couple of their songs. It isn't really old country because there is a horn in it, but it is GOOOOOOOD music. (Little south of the border sound, maybe.)

Gosh, I'm gonna take it with me and play it on the way to town. It's a "feel good" kind of CD.

FH:

The Mavericks are good..kinda like Freddy Fender...I saw them in concert at the Colorado State Fair...what a good time.

I tell ya, I'm the world worst dancer (about as coordinated as a dancing elephant) but this darn Martina McBride CD just makes me want to dance...it'll be good company on my 120 mile trek home tonight!

TTB

Ya, kinda like Freddie Fender. Thanks for that input. You are right.

And I was wrong. I thought Hanta Yo made the first post (It's the picture of the Corgi that did me in :wink: ). Anyway, thanks for telling us about the Martina CD. I'm headed to Miles City tomorrow and I'll put it on my list!

I've already heard some of Martina McBrides new cd on the radio. I think it'll be a big hit. bout time someone redid some of them oldies......

I laffed when I seen the title to this thread, "older country music fans" was you meanin older people or older music? cuz I dont concider myself old yet and I know all them songs....mama and daddy was big music fans back then and had tons of albums. Loretta Lynn, Kitty Wells, Patsy Cline, Ernest Tubb, Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Hank Thompson (all them Hanks) lol

I haven't gotten the cd yet, and have never bought a McBride CD but might be gonna this time.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
I've already heard some of Martina McBrides new cd on the radio. I think it'll be a big hit. bout time someone redid some of them oldies......

I laffed when I seen the title to this thread, "older country music fans" was you meanin older people or older music? cuz I dont concider myself old yet and I know all them songs....mama and daddy was big music fans back then and had tons of albums. Loretta Lynn, Kitty Wells, Patsy Cline, Ernest Tubb, Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Hank Thompson (all them Hanks) lol

I haven't gotten the cd yet, and have never bought a McBride CD but might be gonna this time.

Lilly:

I thought of that too, and needless to say, writing is far from being my strong suit...but I edited the post title to be more clear!!!

TTB :wink:

The best thing about Martina is the way she looks...man those eyes!!!!
By the way...I thought old country music came from the"30's and 40's" :D

Turkey Track Bar said:
Hey older country music fans (like 50's, 60's and early 70's era) you've got to check out Martina McBride's new CD "Timeless."

I'm not necessarily the biggest Martina fan, but she did a knock out job on songs like "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden," "Once a Day," "Pick Me Up on Your Way Down," "Heartaches by the Number," "Satin Sheets," "Make the World Go Away," and others.

I usually don't spend $$$ on cd's but did this one--a co worker had it, and I knew I wanted it. The music is so "decompressing" to quote my co worker, plus I'm guessing most of these songs will be just too uncool to be on the radio. In my mind all that's missing is some Patsy Cline.

Cheers!

TTB

Yes to Patsy Cline. She had such a distinctive voice- you always knew who was wailing out a good one on the radio when she sang. Some of the new singers don't seem to have that unique quality about them, pretty but not unique. Or am I just getting very OLD?

My favorites:
Johnny Horton
June Carter Cash
Johnny Cash
Hank williams
Roy Acuff...........................too many to mention GOOD LUCK

I think some of these new one's have that unique quality, but it's gonna take em some time to hone it to perfection. With so many out there these days, and so many of em bein so young, I think it's just harder to pick em out.

My son is 24 and a big fan of "old country" his faves being Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings,reason being my first grandchilds name is Waylon,nice seeing these younger people appreciating the old stuff!! That being said I like the tribute song to my fav Chris Ladoix by Garth Brooks anyone here that one!!

sw said:
we will have to check it out, got XM radio for fathers day this year, got a station that is called "Hanks Place", nothing but old good stuff, will not play any of this garbage they call country music now. Sure makes the tractor time go by better :!:

the hubby has xm radio in his tractor and listen's to nothing but hank's place!!! :wink:

Murgen wrote:
Quote:
I like Charley Pride and that 'Is Anybody Going To San Antone' song..

Just a trivia point, My mother has sung with Charlie Pryde!

That's pretty neat, Murgen. I have sung with Charlie Pride, too. He was on one side of the radio and me on the other.

I guess I deserved that for be so vague. But no, she sang with him on stage with a mic in her hand!

greg said:
That being said I like the tribute song to my fav Chris Ladoix by Garth Brooks anyone here that one!!
Chris Ledoux is my favorite. Under this old hat ranks up there. And Cabalo Diablo with Charlie Daniels and Chris's version of Life's a highway.
He played our county fair last year. As always, sick or not, great concert.

I'm not a Garth Brook's fan. And the tribute to Chris Ledoux is good, but has that tell tale GB sound. The thought was great, best honor he could have given Chris...but it sounds too much like Garth.

Latest posts