• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Farm Accidents-- You Never Know!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mighty Giant grinders have either a stationary elevator, which exits the hay directly behind the hammermill, the only control is height, or a "swinging" elevator, which allows the elevator to swing from right to left, making a semi-circle of ground hay, which requires fewer pull-ups by the truck pulling the grinder.

The cherry picker is known as a Hydra-Fork, and is really handy if you are grinding stacks.

If the cable that supported the elevator broke, God help who was under it......Prayers comin' that young man's way from the Dark Side........

loomixguy said:
Mighty Giant grinders have either a stationary elevator, which exits the hay directly behind the hammermill, the only control is height, or a "swinging" elevator, which allows the elevator to swing from right to left, making a semi-circle of ground hay, which requires fewer pull-ups by the truck pulling the grinder.

The cherry picker is known as a Hydra-Fork, and is really handy if you are grinding stacks.

If the cable that supported the elevator broke, God help who was under it......Prayers comin' that young man's way from the Dark Side........

Our tub grinder uses his Hydra Fork to load round bales.
Your right that swinging conveyor is heavy and deadly.

Why do so many western ranchers grind hay?I have seen quite a few of these grinding rigs when I've been in the Dakota's.It is very rare for any one around here a haybuster is'nt even that common.

We got most of our hay equip from an old lady near by who did want to EVER see it again. It was all brand new cause her hubby, age 79 at at that time, went out and bought a new round baler, rake, bush-hog, etc . He'd never used nor owned a round baler before. He went out to bale by himself one July day. He never came in for dinner nor for supper.

The old lady couldn't walk that far to go ck so she called her son. He came over thinking the old cout was just being his same slow self but he couldn't find him.

They looked everywhere and saw that the tractor had run out fo fuel and was in gear. There was a bale just outside the baler and the old man was found under it. Apparently he'd gone around back of it to try and move the bale and with our hills and slopes here it just rolled back on him.

The equip, 5 pieces total, was only purchased only 3 days earlier.

Glad your neighbor is doing better OT, but even if we're all as careful as we can be....things happen out of the blue at times.

Denny said:
Why do so many western ranchers grind hay?I have seen quite a few of these grinding rigs when I've been in the Dakota's.It is very rare for any one around here a haybuster is'nt even that common.

Lot of it is because you can mix old or dry prairie hay- or straw with some better quality or alfalfa and get a good feed...I didn't see many grinders around here until they let people start haying the CRP- but since it couldn't be hayed until July or Aug, it was usually already pretty dry...

I've seen this young fellow grinding a couple times, but never really saw the grinder clearly becomes of the cloud of dust coming from the dry hay...Been more than once when the cousin was feeding, I've ran over to the place to check what was on fire- just to find he was grinding in some 2 or 3 year old hay and it was not smoke- just dust....

Oldtimer said:
Lot of it is because you can mix old or dry prairie hay- or straw with some better quality or alfalfa and get a good feed...I didn't see many grinders around here until they let people start haying the CRP- but since it couldn't be hayed until July or Aug, it was usually already pretty dry...

My Prayers go with him!

You lost me here _ I thought the "Conservation Reserve Program (CRP)" was some kind of ACT _ I don't under stand your comment
until they let people start haying the CRP
can you help me?

V_Key said:
Oldtimer said:

My Prayers go with him!

You lost me here _ I thought the "Conservation Reserve Program (CRP)" was some kind of ACT _ I don't under stand your comment
until they let people start haying the CRP
can you help me?

It started out with them letting folks hay CRP during the drought periods- could cut 1/2-leave 1/2 only after being declared a drought disaster area...Then it expanded lately to where you can take reduced payments and hay 1/3 each year I believe...Its another federal screwed up deal, where you can sell the rights to hay-get reduced payments-- but I don't think your supposed to be able to sell the hay- anyway thats the way it started out-- but everyone does...

I may be wrong- because I don't play thier programs- wish they would get rid of all them....

There is a grinder around here that goes farm to farm. Most people use him to grind stalks or straw to put into a TMR as a filler for Silage and Distillers rations. We almost bought a small one a few years back but went a different direction instead.. MOst folks around here, if they want to mix hays together or grind will use a vertical mixer instead of grinding..

I worked in Food Precessing for a number of years. Lots of equipment and lots of different people around it....Point is, I got to see or hear of a number of accidents....... And the results...

I think i tend to be more wary than most and count myself as blessed to have not been hurt. I respect guards and the like considerably,

PPRM

Got an update from the daughter last night-- Josh is still in rough shape...They've fused his L2 thru his L5 spine on Friday-- but he has developed an infection in his lungs and his stomach... They tryed to wean him off the respirator, but he got to fighting it so much they had to restrain him and put him back on the drugs--- Still pretty much touch and go....
Doctors are saying its already a miracle he made it this far...

Oldtimer said:
Got an update from the daughter last night-- Josh is still in rough shape...They've fused his L2 thru his L5 spine on Friday-- but he has developed an infection in his lungs and his stomach... They tryed to wean him off the respirator, but he got to fighting it so much they had to restrain him and put him back on the drugs--- Still pretty much touch and go....
Doctors are saying its already a miracle he made it this far...
I fear every time I open this when I see you've posted OT,still praying for this young man,youth is on his side.

Daughter just called with an update...Sounds like Josh is really doing better...They moved him out of ICU yesterday- and even tho he still has a long battle ahead, things are looking up...... :D :D

Thanks for the update OT. A long road indeed is ahead for him. We'll keep him in our thoughts.

Good news, OT. I just saw this string today. I am on ranchers quite a bit so I am wondering why it hasn't been on my screen. I wouldn't have missed this.

Anyway, they need prayers now on out for a while. Mine will be there.

Last week he was complaining about laying in bed- so the nurses had him up and wheeling himself up and down the halls of the hospital :shock: He is now doing rehab on the pinned together leg- and said he thought he might be able to come home in a couple of weeks- altho he will have a long session of rehab still ahead of him.... :)

Looks like the Good Lord was really watching over him....

5PM-- Daughter just called- and she said the Doctors told him today he could come home the end of the week- and continue his phsical therapy thru the local hospital... :)

Latest posts