• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

farm cat

Help Support Ranchers.net:

frenchie

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I,m looking to buy a bulldozer for the ranch...anybody here
have any opinons on what brand to buy or not to buy Cat , Allis or International. or what size makes a good farm cat. I have been offered the following a TD18A. a D-6, TD-9. I want to stay under 20,000.00 Canuk bucks.I want to clear some serious acres on my lease.

You want the best advice on purchasing a used Cat you'll ever get-DON'T DO IT lol. The custom rate for Cat work hasn't changed much in 20 years and your 20,000 Cat can turn into a 40 or 50,000 one pretty darn quick. There's been alot of guys lose a pile of money doing their own breaking up in our neck of the woods-a 6 is a pretty small Cat to do much with isn't it.

Frenchie,

PM me there is a construction company down this way that is selling out in the spring. Ill give you the details. Equipment is in good shape!

lots of trees, then get a D8 but have someone "in the business" look at it for you. never buy it if the under carriage is less than 75%

but I kind of agree with NR, it may be cheaper to hire it done. buton the other hand, it sure is fun having all that power at your fingertips......

Frenchie,
It's pretty hard to beat a D7 for tramping bush or even a D6 if there isn't too many real big trees. I've run IH TD 25's before but not the smaller ones. They were pretty good tractors but the diehard CAT guys would never admit it!! :lol:
You might have trouble finding anything decent for under 20 grand. Like NR said, a "cheap" cat can get expensive real fast!! :)

We have a lil John Deere 350 Dozer, and for clearin brush and fencelines Mr Lilly swears he'd never go back to a big one. This will do the job and doesn't tear up the ground nothin like a Big one does. We've dug tanks, cleared fences, cleared brush when openin up new pasture, it's a handy dandy lil peice of equipment. It won't push down a big tree. but that's what the chain saw's for lol
icon_cowboy.gif

Northern Rancher said:
You want the best advice on purchasing a used Cat you'll ever get-DON'T DO IT lol. The custom rate for Cat work hasn't changed much in 20 years and your 20,000 Cat can turn into a 40 or 50,000 one pretty darn quick. There's been alot of guys lose a pile of money doing their own breaking up in our neck of the woods-a 6 is a pretty small Cat to do much with isn't it.

I always thought that as well, but try and find someone up here that will even come for some of the smaller jobs I need done.

TimH said:
Frenchie,
It's pretty hard to beat a D7 for tramping bush or even a D6 if there isn't too many real big trees. I've run IH TD 25's before but not the smaller ones. They were pretty good tractors but the diehard CAT guys would never admit it!! :lol:
You might have trouble finding anything decent for under 20 grand. Like NR said, a "cheap" cat can get expensive real fast!! :)

Well I have good retired friend here that was a cat operator for 40 yrs to help me select one . He fiqures we can find something reasonable.

The best thing I have used to clear land in Alabama is a large track hoe. You can scratch around a tree and just pull it up like a weed. Stump and all. Then pile it on the burn pile. When finshed, dig a hloe and cover up the stumps. Once cleared then you can get the dozer and shape the land.

Latest posts