• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Farmer's and Rancher's daughters

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I don't know who wrote this but they were spot on. Red Robin's thread fits this to a Tee

God needed an extra-little someone who wouldn't be afraid to run barefoot around the land that He created. Someone to hold baby kittens, bottle feed baby calves, and ride ponies until it was too dark to see anything but the lightning bugs…so God made a farmer's daughter.

God needed someone to grow up in the shadow of her biggest idol. Someone who would match his every step while learning how to solve any and every problem that came along. He needed someone to ride shotgun in the old farm truck listening to stories and country music while hauling load after load of grain or cattle. Someone who would learn the value of hard work and realize that a farm was the best place on earth to grow up…so God made a farmer's daughter.

God knew that life on the farm gets tough sometimes, and there are some jobs that require an extra gentle hand and an extra dash of patience. Because let's face it, there are some bottle calves that just refuse to take that bottle when you want them to…so God made a farmer's daughter.

God needed someone who knew that there was hard work to be done, and who believed there wasn't any reason that she couldn't do it just like "the boys" do. Someone who wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty or her pants ripped, but also liked getting dressed up fancy and heading into town from time to time…so God made a farmer's daughter.

God needed to give someone a front row seat to life on the farm and all that comes with it. The late nights and early mornings all spent helping her father care for his land and animals. Someone who believed in the future of agriculture so much that she would dream one day of caring for animals and the land just like her father does…so God made a farmer's daughter

I have said it many times. Some of the best cowboys I have ever known were not boys.

And to some of them being called a cowgirl was an insult. Because "cowgirls" were the buckle bunnies at the rodeo dances. Being called a cowboy was a complement.

Last edited:
In my family both sides, the term cowboy and cowgirl were reserved for rodeo, even the one that was world-famous. At rodeo and for his sponsors he was a cowboy, on the ranch he was a cattle rancher. The females were just ranch women or ranch girls, even the ones that raced or roped at the rodeo ONCE a year and never did any special practice. It was a test of real ranch acquired skills.

I never heard of buckle bunnies in my day, we called them floozies. One reason the term cowboy or cowgirl was not used in my family was because of the Hollywood stereotype of Cowboys and Indians. Both sides of my family have American Indian heritage and all were cattle ranchers.

Using the term Cowgirl as my name here was sort of a tongue-in-cheek thing. Looking back I realize no one knew anything about me so no one would pick up on my strange sense of humor. I would like to change it, but such is not possible.

Latest posts