• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Fast Food!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

chrisy

Reaction score
Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite 'fast food' when you were growing up?'
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.
'All the food was slow.'
'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'
'It was a place called 'home,'' I explained. !
'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I'd figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis , set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10.
It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 10 pm, after playing the national anthem and epilogue; it came back on the air at about 6 p.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --My brother delivered a newspaper, seven days a week. He had to get up at 6AM every morning.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:
My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it... I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?
Head lights dimmer switches on the floor of the car.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz:
Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about.
Ratings at the bottom.

1. Sweet cigarettes
2. Coffee shops with juke boxes
3.Home milk delivery in glass bottles
4. Party lines on the telephone
5. Newsreels before the movie
6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (There were only 2 channels [if you were fortunate])
7.Peashooters
8. 33 rpm records
9. 45 RPM records
10. Hi-fi's
11.. Metal ice trays with lever
12. Blue flashbulb
13. Cork popguns
14. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 11-14 =You're older than dirt!

Older than dirt. :roll: :roll:

Don't forget 78 rpm records.

Older than old dirt :roll: :roll:

I remember my Grandpa having a phonograph player (not a record player, that's different) that you cranked! I was pretty young though, but I do remember it.

This just popped into my head.... Anyone remember taking an empty cigarette package, folding it up and clipping it to the front forks of their bike so it would make noise when you rode?

Older than dirt.

Mom would wring out the clothes from the washer into the bathtub - swirl them around in the tub full of cold water and then wring them again before hanging. Her idea of a rinse cycle.

BC

Don't tell your age.

Perhaps it's not my age but the age of the stuff my family used? :?

Older than dirt

Wringer washer blueing to make the clothes whiter.

Two stories about the wringer washer. My grandma had them hanging baskets or to some the droopin boobs hung down to her belly button.. Never laughed so hard as the time one was headed through the wringer. Would have won Americas funniest video hands down. Only thing is at that time only Camera was a brownie or a polaroid.

Now heres a true story that will make you sick. I promise this is the truth.
Sold a piece of equipment to a Amish man about 2 years ago. While there he asked me if we could use any fresh butter. I easily said no because this was one filthy bunch and I have seen some filthy things being done while they cook. Seen them feed the dogs gather the eggs and go right in and start baking to sell fresh baked goods never wash. Seen them kids and women with clothes on that I WOULD GUARANTEE THEY had wore for weeks and never washed covered in cow manure and filthy dirt..

But out of curiosity I asked what type of churn hey used just for the heck of it. He proceeded to tell me they had a side by side wringer washer double action tubs. Said that while the wife washed clothes in one tub she put the fresh cream in the other tub and made the fresh butter. Said it saved on gas and they could kill two birds with one stone. I liked to have gagged before I COULD GET IN THE TRUCK.

If you ain't never seen a wringer washer in action they slop water all over the place while they are washing. now picture them 2 to 3 week dirty clothes with cow manure and everything else on them in one tub and fresh cream in the other and both actions going on at the same time. I believe it would be called cross contamination.

:cry:

Cant look at a wringer washer with out laughing all the while getting sick at the same time!

You have just answered all of the problems of the world in one post. I am not that old(32) but I can remember public television and listening to the neighbors on the phone ( not while they were talking to me). Satellite TV, and the first Pizza Hut in Gordon, Nebraska. The big one you forgot for me was 8 tracks and I always wanted to drive something with 3 on the Tree (some of you know what I am talking about). As a society we take everything for granted including but not limitted to our elders. It all began with respect and discipline (from anyone). Now you can't spank your own kids much less someone else's. If you make your kids set at the table until they eat what is served social services gives you a call ( your child probably called them). I guess I am a lawsuit waiting to happen, if my kids need disciplined they get it, whether at home or in Wal-Mart or Penny's. They learn to say please and thank you while they are still learning to talk. They speak when spoken to or get a talk'n to. Not that I am a great parent but WE are really trying to instill good old morals and values.

Good for you, flyingS. Your kids will be winners in life.

Reminds me of the time my grandson threatened to call Social Services
and my daughter said, "ok, go ahead. And then what?" He looked at her and she said, "Then they'll come and get you and take you away and we'll never see you again."

Very effective, because he never tried that again.

I am not going to say that I am older then dirt, but no one mentioned ration stamps or the little green sticker with an A on it you put on your windshield, that entitled you to four gallons of gasolene a week.

Clarencen said:
I am not going to say that I am older then dirt, but no one mentioned ration stamps or the little green sticker with an A on it you put on your windshield, that entitled you to four gallons of gasolene a week.
If I knew you better my answer would have been, Methuselah :lol: but I don't so I wont :???: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The pizza hut deal reminded me of something years ago. This tell you how remote this pizza hut was. We were eating and a bull walks by the window.

Yes Christy, some today can not believe that. We lived in the country, my family had a B sticker on their windshield, we were allowed to buy some more gasolene then that. There was also a C sticker for those who drove for a living, and a T sticker for trucks and pickups.

I was 12 years old when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. That fall my Dad and a neighbor talked it over, they decided they would put knobby tires on their cars. Knobbies were the snow tires of that time. This was the first they had ever used them. Dad ordered his from Montgomery Ward, Tom our neighbor ordered his from Sears Roebuck. On that Sunday, Dec. 7 I believe it was, my Dad was putting these tires on our 1936 Ford V8. My mother heard the news on the radio then went out and told my Dad. The next day the US declared war on Japan.

These tires had to last until the end of the war. You couldn't buy new ones. If you had more then five tires for your car, you were asked to turn them in. This old 1936 Ford was our family car until November of 1948, then it was my brother and my car. A couple of years later my brother and I bought a 1946 Ford Club coupe. Just as a point of interest, I might mention that this Ford coupe had belonged to Katrina's father in-law.

flyingS, I'm 47. Every car my family had was the 3-on-the-tree manual transmission. Didn't have an automatic in our family until Dad bought a new 1979 Impala. And he would have bought it with a 3oT if he could have. The newest car I remember seeing with that transmission is a late '60s or early '70s Impala.

I learned to drive in a 66 Chev 1/2 ton with a three on the tree. Dad had bought it new a couple of years before he moved us to Canada. It was ten years old when I learned to drive and was traded off on a new 76 Chev 1/2 ton shortly after. Unfortunately for me, I was not allowed to drive the new one.

Aprons were something that was so ordinary, and we don't even see them worn anymore. (I do still wear an apron when I'm cooking, tho--but I'm older than dirt, remember?) :p

Remember! making an apron in Home Ec? Read below:

The History of 'APRONS'

I don't think our kids
know what an apron is.
The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath,because she only had a few, it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and they used less material, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing
hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow,
bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables.
After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees..

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready,Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the menfolks knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

Send this to those who would know (and love) the story about Grandma's aprons.

REMEMBER:

Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill
to thaw.

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron

gcreekrch said:
I learned to drive in a 66 Chev 1/2 ton with a three on the tree. Dad had bought it new a couple of years before he moved us to Canada. It was ten years old when I learned to drive and was traded off on a new 76 Chev 1/2 ton shortly after. Unfortunately for me, I was not allowed to drive the new one.

So GC,what tranny did the '76 have? Neighbor here had a '77 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 3oT. Never saw another one like it except the same guy's son got a new stripper 1/2 ton 2wd with a straight 6 and the 3 speed. Also I remember a guy who had a '72 Blazer with the 3 speed.

John SD said:
gcreekrch said:

So GC,what tranny did the '76 have? Neighbor here had a '77 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 3oT. Never saw another one like it except the same guy's son got a new stripper 1/2 ton 2wd with a straight 6 and the 3 speed. Also I remember a guy who had a '72 Blazer with the 3 speed.

The 76 just had a three speed automatic.

I remembered 10, so im on the cusp of dirt...

I remeber calculators bigger then my then my desk top in school.

I remember the game of pong entertaining me .

my family played cards (still do) oh and yahtzee,

I remember wearing hand me downs.

and we had a rambler station wagon ,with push button transmission.

my dad cut my hair...maybe he was just cheap.lol

you could plug your car in during the winter or leave it running while you grocery shopped and it was still there when you came out..

you got one gift for christmas and you had to share it with your brother..

tang and coffeemate where safe to drink.

and only women wore make up ,finger nail polish,hair spray and earings.

and only men had tattoo's.

gcreekrch said:
John SD said:
gcreekrch said:

The 76 just had a three speed automatic.

I bet it if it was 4x4 it had the gas hog full time system too. :wink: At least that is the way I remember pickups of that era. Stick shifts got part time 4x4. Automatics got the full time system. There was a conversion available later to convert the full time 4x4 to part time.

Most of these part time conversions I knew of were converted back to full time because the transfer case did not get lubricated properly unless you ran with the hubs locked in for a few miles on a regular basis. Kinda defeated the purpose of the conversion kit. :roll:

Latest posts