• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

favorite deer rifle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hayguy

Reaction score
asked NR this question up in ranch talk but thought it really belongs here

so whats your favorite deer rifle/calibre. i know this is a ford chevy dodge question but it will be interesting to see preferences for different area's

As long as it is a 30/06 or a 270 or a 257 Roberts I am happy. If they won't work, I have no reason to think I can get the job done.

Ive got all types and calibers but Ive always stuck by a 30-30. I got lucky a few years ago and traded for an old Wichester 30-30 that belonged to an old cowboy from here who I thought alot of. I got it from his son and dollar for dollar he got the better deal, but I ended up with a rifle that belonged to someone who I respected and cared alot about. That old man could keep.my attention for hours when he would get to telling stories. Anyhow, the old rifle looks like its been through hell. It shoots sttaight though and loaded with the new Hornaday Lever-Evolution rounds it will dang sure reach out alot better than regular 30-30 ammo. A while back I dropped a fox with a neck shot at 350 yards. I was aimimg for the head, but I guess I cant complain.

rifle1.jpg

Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester 270. This rifle belonged to my Grandfather, it has a lot of sentimental value. I also like my Reminton 700 BDL in a 243. My wife shoots a Ruger M77 in a 25-06, it's a nice shooting gun.

flyingS said:
rifle1.jpg

Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester 270. This rifle belonged to my Grandfather, it has a lot of sentimental value. I also like my Reminton 700 BDL in a 243. My wife shoots a Ruger M77 in a 25-06, it's a nice shooting gun.

very nice rifle flyingS, i'd be afraid to use it though for fear of scratching it :wink:

I'm partial to the .308 and .30-06 myself. And as far as the gun model it would definately have to be the Remington 7600 series. Grandpa has one, Dad has one, and I have one.

Angus Cattle Shower said:
I'm partial to the .308 and .30-06 myself. And as far as the gun model it would definately have to be the Remington 7600 series. Grandpa has one, Dad has one, and I have one.

are those pump guns? my uncle had an old remington pump in .32 remington that was his meat gun up to the late sixties when he got a crown grade Husqvarna in .308 win. 88 years old and still uses it

I still use my Marlin 30 30 lever that I bought for $100 when I was 16.

I was given a old Gevarm bolt action .222 that I really like for coyotes. It has a old, old Bushnell scope with real fine cross hairs and is about 18 inches long. :D

The go to gun in the gun room is my old BBR .270-It's shot alot of deer,moose,bear and even one buffalo-he dropped like a sack od spuds. I have a 2x7 Leupold scope on it. Sara has a 788 remington .243 bolt carbine which is a sweet little deer slammer-crappy optics on it but we get by. Emily has a 788 remington in 6mm-Ty called in a young bull moose one day aftewr school to about 40 yards and it killed him no problems. Ty has a Tikka T3 in 25.06 with a laminate stock is probably the nicest handling looking and handling gun we own. Sara is starting to hunt moose and elk so am shoppin g around for a 7mm/08-her best friends Dad a buddy of mine ditched his big thunder boomer 300 Win Mag and has killed some great elk,moose, whitetail and mulies with his-I'd always heard good things about that calibre-his 13 year old daughter shoots it with no flinches from recoil. One thing I absolutely hate is hinged floor plate magazines-nothing like fumbling with frozen fingers tryting to unload and dumping shells in the snow.

Big Muddy rancher said:
I still use my Marlin 30 30 lever that I bought for $100 when I was 16.

I was given a old Gevarm bolt action .222 that I really like for coyotes. It has a old, old Bushnell scope with real fine cross hairs and is about 18 inches long. :D

Around here we would call anything that short a big pistol! :lol: :lol:

I have an old Savage 222 that also belonged to my grandfather. It is by far my favorite rifle to shoot. Not only is it nice to shoot but it is a tack driver. When I actually shot a little more often I could shoot a three shot group that was all touching.

the .222 dominated the benchrest fraternity until the inception of the 6milPPC . ocassionally a well tuned deuce still wins some matches. the .22-250 definitely gives more range though. around here minute of coyote is close enough

300 WIN MAG. I like a gun that when you hit it it dont get up. But I have used a 22-250 25-06 and 270 and I would not be afraid to use any one of them to deer hunt with.

Latest posts